Jet takeoff performance

Old November 20th 03, 05:06 PM
karl gruber

Default Jet takeoff performance

I've been searching "Google" to find information on jet takeoff and landing
performance. I've searched AOPA and NBA, but can't find what I want. I'm
looking for a good dissertation on V1, V2, VR, BFL, second segment climb,
etc.

Anybody know any good links?

Best,
Karl
"curator" N185KG

Old November 20th 03, 05:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"karl gruber" wrote in message ...
I've been searching "Google" to find information on jet takeoff and landing
performance. I've searched AOPA and NBA, but can't find what I want. I'm
looking for a good dissertation on V1, V2, VR, BFL, second segment climb,
etc.

V1 is the take off decision speed. If you lose an engine below this speed, you shutdown
and stop on the runway. If you lose it after you attain this speed, you continue on the
remaining engine(s). Vr is the rotate speed, where you normally would lift the nose
on takeoff. V2 is the takeoff safetly speed, the (initial) climbout speed if you've lost an engine.
It varies from there depending on the aicraft, after reaching a given speed (usually something
like V2+10 knots or something), there are procedures for raising flaps, etc... and new speeds
to go with them.

Old November 20th 03, 11:34 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Ron Natalie" writes:

"karl gruber" wrote in message ...
I've been searching "Google" to find information on jet takeoff and landing
performance. I've searched AOPA and NBA, but can't find what I want. I'm
looking for a good dissertation on V1, V2, VR, BFL, second segment climb,
etc.

V1 is the take off decision speed. If you lose an engine below this
speed, you shutdown and stop on the runway. If you lose it after
you attain this speed, you continue on the remaining engine(s). Vr
is the rotate speed, where you normally would lift the nose on
takeoff. V2 is the takeoff safetly speed, the (initial) climbout
speed if you've lost an engine. It varies from there depending on
the aicraft, after reaching a given speed (usually something like
V2+10 knots or something), there are procedures for raising flaps,
etc... and new speeds to go with them.

And at least for the 'heavies' I understand these values depend on the
actual loading and density altitude conditions, rather than being
fixed constants.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, , www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
RKBA: noguns-nomoney.com www.dd-b.net/carry/
Old November 20th 03, 11:56 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-11-20 15:34:21 -0800, David Dyer-Bennet said

And at least for the 'heavies' I understand these values depend on th
actual loading and density altitude conditions, rather than bein
fixed constants

You don't even have to be that heavy

For a Lear 35, the takeoff weight tabular charts show weights between 10,000 and 18,300
and the speeds vary in a range of about 103-141 for V1, 125 to 143 for VR, and 124 to 146
for V2. Note that V1 is the only speed that depends on density altitude. The others vary onl
with weight

--
Larry Fransso
Seattle, W
Old November 21st 03, 01:02 AM
karl gruber

*****Now just a darn minute*****

Bob,

Just a little re-current training. I'd like to see an in-depth discussion.

Karl

Old November 21st 03, 05:59 PM
Bob Gardner

I have a book "Staying Current," which is a collection by Dan Manningham of
articles from Business and Commercial Aviation magazine. I think you are
looking for "Anatomy of a Departure" from that book. Zip me a snail-mail
address and I will *loan* it to you in partial compensation for the things
you have done for me.

Bob