Sporting Code Question

Old June 27th 12, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Sporting Code Question

Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with a
friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us for
the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.

Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(

Am I hosed?

Peter

Old June 27th 12, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate[_2_]

On Jun 27, 9:21*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
Hi, a few weeks ago we had some great WX here in WI, and I was flying with a
friend and we got the Blanik up to 8000' MSL which (sadly) qualifies us for
the State Two Seater Absulute Altitude and Altitude Gain records.

Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(

Am I hosed?

Peter

I don't think so. Since the information regarding pilot, glider type,
and reg number are all about the 'electronic' declaration (which can
be superceded by a paper declaration) and NO declaration is required,
that should be irrelevant. Is the Volkslogger baro calibration
current?

Old June 27th 12, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc

On Jun 27, 9:21*am, "Peter von Tresckow" wrote:
Now the SC states that no declaration is required for altitude records
claimed with a barograph, unfortunately I used my Volkslogger. So in my VL I
still had an old task, but I failed to update the registration number/AC
type, and names of the pilots. I fear that I won't be able to use the trace
because the gliderID in the logger doesn't match the ID of the Blanik :-(

Please review SC3 Annex C section 10.3, it covers this situation...

Marc
Old June 27th 12, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You have a valid claim. Subject to the calibration and security requirements of your Flight Recorder, the claim should be approved.

The Sporting Code says (in SC3 4.5.6b) that the Official Observer must observe and record the Pilot and Glider identities, independent of the Flight Recorder.

Because a declaration is not required, the information in the Flight Log that we construe as the elements of an "electronic declaration" is irrelevant, and there is no consequence of it being wrong.

In short, the job of identifying you and the glider belongs to the Official Observer, not to the Flight Recorder.

We talked about this at the last IGC meeting (item 8.1.5):
http://tinyurl.com/cv4fjdw

Rick Sheppe