O2, Question for medics.

Old March 20th 20, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FZ[_2_]

Default O2, Question for medics.

There are a few hundred oxygen masks and O2 tanks in a gliding community. Are those of any potential use in a CronaVirus emergency?
Old March 20th 20, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

What is needed are breathing apparatus.
Completely differnt game.
Old March 20th 20, 12:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Walsh[_2_]

At 05:38 20 March 2020, Tango Whisky wrote:
What is needed are breathing apparatus.
Completely differnt game.

Not a medic, just a biochemist. Hard to see what harm could be
done using gliding oxygen to help someone with breathing
difficulties. But one might ask why such a person was not already
in a hospital?
The main 'problem' is the small size of gliding oxygen cylinders;
now if one happens to have a big oxyacetylene welding kit in the
garage that's a different matter.

Old March 20th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 11:54:57 +0000, Dave Walsh wrote:

At 05:38 20 March 2020, Tango Whisky wrote:
What is needed are breathing apparatus.
Completely differnt game.

Not a medic, just a biochemist. Hard to see what harm could be done
using gliding oxygen to help someone with breathing difficulties. But
one might ask why such a person was not already in a hospital?
The main 'problem' is the small size of gliding oxygen cylinders;
now if one happens to have a big oxyacetylene welding kit in the garage
that's a different matter.

I think that in this case 'breathing apparatus' means a medical
ventilator, which assists the action of breathing as well as supplying
oxygenated air to the patient. The systems we use require the user to be
able to breathe without assistance.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 20th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 6:25:33 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

but breaths need not be as deep on oxygen, yes? So maybe some help?
Old March 20th 20, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

-
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

but breaths need not be as deep on oxygen, yes? So maybe some help?

Someone in respiratory distress usually has impaired breathing, so a nose cannula might not be as helpful as a face mask to get them more oxygen. What might be more helpful is to loan your pulse oximeter to those at higher risk. This would help them decide if they should seek medical treatment, e.g., when ox sat falls below 90% (a common threshold to receive resp support is 88%). The catch is (no pun intended) a hospital is a good place to get pneumonia if you don't already have it.
Old March 20th 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, March 19, 2020 at 10:02:00 PM UTC-6, FZ wrote:
There are a few hundred oxygen masks and O2 tanks in a gliding community. Are those of any potential use in a CronaVirus emergency?

If the face mask and oxygen are used to help get someone in respiratory distress to an emergency room, then yes. Otherwise no. As already said, someone needing respiratory support will get all the oxygen they need once at the hospital. The bottleneck lies in the availability of ventilator machines to mechanically support/breathe for them if they are in sufficient respiratory distress. So far (as far as I know) the shortages do not include oxygen or oxygen masks.
Old March 20th 20, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

A pulse-oximeter quantifies pulmonary function.

What is the O2 saturation that should trigger a trip to the E-room?

Old March 21st 20, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was sick last October, achy, fever, congested. Five or six days later I woke at night and could hear chest rattle high in my lungs.
Brain finally kicked on, I said 'I'm hypoxic'. Dug out my oximeter and saw variable 80's. Sent hubby out to dig out a bottle from a glider in a trailer. Rest of the night I ran the mask on a low flow. Headache was finally gone.

Next morning the urgent care sent me to hospital. All I wanted was a prescription for the right antibiotics. Xray, five different folks listening to me take deep breaths with cold stethoscopes (hyperventilation anyone?).

Gave me IV dose of some -cillin, wrote a script, said go home and rest. $4500.
Old March 21st 20, 07:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, March 20, 2020 at 4:35:27 PM UTC-6, son_of_flubber wrote:
A pulse-oximeter quantifies pulmonary function.

What is the O2 saturation that should trigger a trip to the E-room?

It depends. For normal healthy people anything in the low 90s is abnormal and needs to be evaluated. However, for someone with COPD, who normally lives in the upper 80s to low 90s, it could be normal to have an O2sat of 89%.

If you are feeling bad and your O2 sat is in the low 90s (90-93%), then get checked. If you aren't sure, get checked. It's better to be safe than sorry.