Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old April 2nd 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

"Now that's funny, I don't care who you are, that's funny"
LTCG
Old April 2nd 20, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well lets see.....its gonna depend on if were dealing with a headwind. If so I am gonna take the “heavier” caliber lol
Old April 3rd 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

If you fire an AK-47 and a .22 pistol simultaneously and horizontally,
which round will hit the ground first?* There's quite a difference in
velocity between those two.* (A bored engineer/glider pilot here.)

On 4/2/2020 4:45 PM, wrote:
This started with an AK47 and bored engineer/glider pilots.

Seems like we a missing a great opportunity. What's L/D for an AK47 round?

With the changing velocity on the way to target, I'm not sure what it means. Something to do with energy used per foot of range.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 3rd 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 11:06:46 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
Actually this is kind of a funny thread! Coronavirus has certainly taken the spotlight off gun control. I don’t carry in my glider. But it’s a thought. I prefer the plastic fantastic Glock. It’s really easy to train family members on. If it was just me I would probably carry a custom 1911.

I've been trying to figure out how I'd carry a G20 (10mm) on my person while flying. I live in bear country, and a land-out in the woods could have some extra danger. I thought about using a Hill People Gear kit bag, but it is positioned in just the wrong place where it blocks access to the D-ring of the rip chord of my parachute. A drop leg holster would interfere with access to the elevator trim. And appendix carry would crunch the nuts. I may have to consider an ankle holster, but a G20 doesn't fit real well down there either. Thoughts?

Bears are an extreme problem. If landing out here in Nevada, I'd be happier with any weapon with me, even a 22.

Old April 3rd 20, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 17:10:31 -0700, towsked wrote:

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 4:11:39 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
If you fire an AK-47 and a .22 pistol simultaneously and horizontally,
which round will hit the ground first?* There's quite a difference in
velocity between those two.* (A bored engineer/glider pilot here.)

Dan, 5J

s=ut +½ g t^2

Both land simultaneously at 0.56 +/- 0.01 secs. This assumes both guns
are fired at shoulder height by the same guy and were aimed accurately
horizontal. Under these conditions 'u' is zero so time of flight is just
free-fall time.

I've just timed this using a Seiko stopwatch while dropping the solid
alloy nosecone off a NATO ground attack practise rocket found some years
ago on the Helcheren target range in Belgium. Doing the experiment was
quicker than finding a measuring tape, measuring my shoulder height and
then calculating. Besides, it was more fun that way.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 3rd 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 7:11:39 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
If you fire an AK-47 and a .22 pistol simultaneously and horizontally,
which round will hit the ground first?* There's quite a difference in
velocity between those two.* (A bored engineer/glider pilot here.)

I think Galileo addressed this problem a few years ago in Italy.

Jim Beckman
Old April 3rd 20, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 6:46:26 PM UTC-4, Bob Youngblood wrote:
What a surprise, just today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition. Thank god that I raised this kid correctly, educated him and he achieved the status of a Structural Engineer, PE.
He advised me to be careful of the soft trigger, and he told me to take it with me at all times to fend off all the flaming liberals even at the gliderport. I told him not to worry, I carry two pistols in the 27 and Eileen has one in the 24. Nothing like a family of glider pilots being well prepared for the Flaming Liberals.
I was hoping to make plans to fly around Lake Okeechobee again this week, but the weather is not in my favor. I have never smelt anything better than Hoppy,s # 9 gun oil or flew better that a ASW. Bob

Not sure about the bears in Eastern Canada, but beware of the deer!

heard the one about the deer that " eats shoots and leaves"?
JMF
Old April 3rd 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

[...]

Many years ago in my first US contest, newly arrived from the UK, untutored in US
geography and politics, we were flying a free distance out of Adrian, forecast as usual to be
a poor day. Seemed pretty good to me and I blundered on, heading down wind, staying high till the
thermals weakened and I was out of map. Following a river in a deep valley( probably the Ohio )
till I was down to 1500 ft and over an unknown small town, forest ahead, I elected to land on a school
playing field; quickly small crowd gathered, asked the usual questions.
I volunteered that I could have gone ten miles further but could see no fields ahead.
Ah, said one man " good thing you didn't, over there is West Virginia and in them hills the locals
figure a plane must belong to the Revenuers and they'd 'a strung you up"
Old April 3rd 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 3, 2020 at 7:55:35 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 17:10:31 -0700, towsked wrote:

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 4:11:39 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
If you fire an AK-47 and a .22 pistol simultaneously and horizontally,
which round will hit the ground first?* There's quite a difference in
velocity between those two.* (A bored engineer/glider pilot here.)

Dan, 5J

s=ut +½ g t^2

Both land simultaneously at 0.56 +/- 0.01 secs.

Is that only true in a vacuum? Or from a short height. Heavier objects fall faster in the real world.
More important question if you had mounted firearms on a glider how much would the glide angle be reduced by recoil? And does the effect change at different speeds?