Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Old April 4th 20, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring Not Dead Everywhere

Well soaring isn’t dead everywhere. Today we got 14 flights in, private ships, and all three of the 1-26’s and solo flights in the club blanik. Social distancing in order, wipe downs of the club birds and all had fun. We didn’t need any ventilators but we did get up close to 7,000ft, thats thin air for us east coasters.
Dan
Old April 5th 20, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

👍👍👍
Old April 5th 20, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I got up to 15,000' today on a 3.5 hour flight.* There were four private
owners flying and several flights in a Grob.* I don't know who was in
that ship.

And, Dan, 15K is like 9K in Florida!

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 5th 20, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

On 4/4/2020 4:12 PM, wrote:
Well soaring isn’t dead everywhere. Today we got 14 flights in,

private
ships, and all three of the 1-26’s and solo flights in the club blanik.
Social distancing in order, wipe downs of the club birds and all had fun.
We didn’t need any ventilators but we did get up close to 7,000ft,

thats
thin air for us east coasters.
Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Selfish and self centred on so many levels - so much stupidity in the USA.

Old April 5th 20, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Given your email address which includes ducati, I will assume you're
from Italy.* You guys are having a pretty rough time and I feel sorry
for you.* But...* In the desert southwest of the USA, it is very easy to
maintain personal separation that has been deemed to be "safe" from the
virus transmission standpoint.* Couple that with a self launching sail
plane and I do not have to come anywhere near another person.

You will get through this and back to flying.* Peace.

On 4/5/2020 5:28 AM, Paul T wrote:
At 01:50 05 April 2020, Dan Marotta wrote:
I got up to 15,000' today on a 3.5 hour flight.Â* There were four private
owners flying and several flights in a Grob.Â* I don't know who was in

Old April 5th 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Dear Dan,

and what happen if you have an accident?

Please do not involve anyone else. Stay there and....Peace.

Carlo (from Italy)
Old April 5th 20, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 6:12:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Well soaring isn’t dead everywhere. Today we got 14 flights in, private ships, and all three of the 1-26’s and solo flights in the club blanik. Social distancing in order, wipe downs of the club birds and all had fun. We didn’t need any ventilators but we did get up close to 7,000ft, thats thin air for us east coasters.
Dan

Most likely all clubs are somewhat curtailed in activity, ours certainly is, being in Florida in some hot areas makes a difference. Our club is practicing good social distancing rules, yes, our activity is way down and could not have come at a worse time.
I was able to tow my wife in her 24 and another person in their private ship yesterday and they landed at my place and stored the gliders in the hangar. I do not mind towing anyone as long as they hook up themselves with the towline and I will be 200 feet away in the Pawnee. The self launch guys certainly have the best practice with no help needed.
Old April 5th 20, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Carlo, I am truly sorry for what you folks are going thru over there. It is heartbreaking on many levels.

With that being said, where I and other guys fly here at various places, we are not experiencing this to the degree you are. We are definitely following all the posted guidelines. As such, even though you guys are having it bad, do you expect us to stop our lives, sit at home, and just lament over the conditions in other areas?

I could bring up many facts regarding Italy that are your cultures own doing which has exasterbated your situation. You have a majorly aged population, one of the highest rates of smoking and lung disease in all of EU along with fairly inefficient and antiquated socialized medicine. I think an honest analysis would acknowledge those factors as significant in your situation..

One of your countrymen asked what would happen if I got in a wreck over here. Well, I would take my chances, I face the same issue just driving to the store to refill my dwindling supply of toilet paper. Maybe I should just live a chicken little life and plan on using pages of the sears robuck catalog for ass wipe.

My point in the post was not to rub anyones nose in it who are living in areas where soaring is definitely not possible, but to encourage guys in other areas that there are safe ways to continue to enjoy what we all love to do, safely and of no risk to anyone. In our situation, we all drove direct to the airport, handled our own ships, flew and went home. The only exception being the clubs 1-26 which was flown by two separate guys who wiped down thoroughly between flights.

If folks think they have a need to stay housebound for the next two weeks, thats their and their local governments decision. I dare say there is no one on here who is not going to go out for groceries sometime in the next two weeks. Until you truly stay home that long, please don’t be critical of our club and others for our limited activities. Your “grocery” trip is more of a risk to yourself and the public than our little solo flying outing.
Dan
Old April 5th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Here’s my opinion because I am not afraid to share it. If you choose to fly solo in your personal ship right now social distancing isn’t really an issue. Sharing a club ship isn’t the greatest idea. It’s very hard to get the cockpit completely sanitized. Then there’s the issue of having an off airport landing or accident. Someone’s going to have to come get you on an off airport landing. If you have an injury do you really want to go to the hospital right now? Not only are you exposing yourself to disease you’ll be using supplies and resources that would be better used for a Covid 19 patient.

My club has not completely shutdown. They’ve cancelled scheduled operations and left it up to the individual members and tow pilots to decide if they want to fly. I haven’t heard of any operations in the last three weeks.

Personally I don’t intend to fly until sometime in May. I’ll look at what’s happening with the pandemic and make a decision then. I am a firm believer in the ability of each pilot to make their own go/no go decision.

Is Soaring Cafe dead (or comatose)? pp2076 Soaring 1 January 1st 16 09:42 PM
RAP is NOT Dead No Name Piloting 112 August 29th 08 06:49 AM
AUDIO: Bush jewish. Blair jewish. Howard jewish. Sarkozy jewish. 1.2 million muslims dead. Thousands of Americans dead. Trillion$ missing. [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 November 2nd 07 06:56 PM
Forget Dying; Is Soaring Dead? [email protected] Soaring 42 September 2nd 06 05:19 PM
The Soaring Server is dead; long live the Soaring Servers John Leibacher Soaring 3 November 1st 04 11:57 PM