A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best option for electric self starting glider

Old April 8th 20, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Best option for electric self starting glider

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 8:08:57 PM UTC+1, krasw wrote:
Minilak is cs22 glider, not ultralight.

I think it's a stretch to say it *is* CS-22 when it is not yet certified as such. Or at least I couldn't find any type certificate in the EASA database.
All existing miniLAK's will be flying on something else (PtF/Experimental/Ultralight). I have no doubt it is certifiable as it seems strongly derived from the LAK-17, the question is whether LAK will be able to certify it for self-launch, something I am sure all FES owners are watching.
Old April 8th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

On 4/8/20 10:00 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 11:45:05 AM UTC-4, Dave Walsh wrote:
Dave Walsh (20E owner).

I believe that should be "(Long-suffering Antares 20E owner)"?
Meanwhile, mine has failed yet again...

I always get a good laugh when somebody tries to tell me how reliable
and maintenance-free electric gliders are. They must be confusing
"ought to be" with "actually are".
Old April 9th 20, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I'm hoping that someone creates an electric self-launch glider with complete propulsion redundancy: two 20kW motors, two propellors, two batterey packs, two speed controls. Any single failure would leave you with at least sustainer performance.

A traditional motorglider must be flown like an unpowered sailplane; you must keep safe landing options within glide. With sufficient redundancy, it would not be unreasonable to enjoy soaring in some entirely new and inhospitable places.

Old April 9th 20, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 5:41:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm hoping that someone creates an electric self-launch glider with complete propulsion redundancy: two 20kW motors, two propellors, two batterey packs, two speed controls. Any single failure would leave you with at least sustainer performance.

A traditional motorglider must be flown like an unpowered sailplane; you must keep safe landing options within glide. With sufficient redundancy, it would not be unreasonable to enjoy soaring in some entirely new and inhospitable places.

To quote Dave Nadler, "How hard could it be?"
Old April 9th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi
external usenet poster

El miércoles, 8 de abril de 2020, 21:33:17 (UTC-3), escribió:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 5:41:58 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Easiness = Sqroot(Money^3 * time^2)/(distance to manufacturers)
Old April 9th 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Magnus, with a LAK17C you won't be able to take off safely from Montricher, especially not to the northeast. I wouldn't go for less than 50 hp, and that leaves you with Ventus 2CM, DG800, Antares 20E or ASH26E with the Schleicher prop.

Bert
Ventus cM "TW"
working in Lausanne, flying in Bex
Old April 9th 20, 07:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 8 April 2020 23:02:09 UTC+3, wrote:
On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 at 8:08:57 PM UTC+1, krasw wrote:
Minilak is cs22 glider, not ultralight.

I think it's a stretch to say it *is* CS-22 when it is not yet certified as such. Or at least I couldn't find any type certificate in the EASA database.
All existing miniLAK's will be flying on something else (PtF/Experimental/Ultralight). I have no doubt it is certifiable as it seems strongly derived from the LAK-17, the question is whether LAK will be able to certify it for self-launch, something I am sure all FES owners are watching.

Ok. I asked this exact question few years back at Lak factory and was answered that they will certify it as glider. Lak has good track record certifying gliders.
Old April 9th 20, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Love the quote. Actually, this would be right up my alley. I've developed a few aircraft from scratch and people pay me a lot of money to modify special mission airplanes. A multi-motor self-launcher would be pretty easy to do as a modification to an existing self-launcher; probably a 3 month project. Perhaps I'll get around to this eventually, but first I have some more pressing items on my wish list!
Old April 9th 20, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Out of curiousity, does anyone know how electric motorgliders handle prop strikes? I know that it can be very expensive to rebuild a conventional aircraft engine after a prop strike, but what are electric manufacturers recommending?