Flarm picking up my transponder

Old April 24th 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Flarm picking up my transponder

I have a similar problem on tow behind a tow plane with newly installed ADS-B out. The glider Flarm goes nuts. Any fixes for this (besides shutting something off)?
ROY
Old April 24th 20, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a similar problem on tow behind a tow plane with newly installed ADS-B out. The glider Flarm goes nuts. Any fixes for this (besides shutting something off)?

I've seen that as well. A warning for an approaching tow plane seems useful, but for one at the other end of a 200 foot tow rope, not so much.

Is some place to look in a log to see what happened?

Old April 24th 20, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

You might want to try putting the towplane PowerFLARM ICAO on FlarmNet and subsequently loading the current FlarmNet database on your Flarm display.
Old April 24th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 11:51:16 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
I have a similar problem on tow behind a tow plane with newly installed ADS-B out. The glider Flarm goes nuts. Any fixes for this (besides shutting something off)?
ROY

Are you updated to the current version? They have continually worked at reducing nuisance alarms from the tug. Version 7 (withdrawn for North America due to problems associated with Mode C alerts) was supposed to have fixed more ADS-B/FLARM problems (look at the release notes). 6.83 is current for PowerFLARM CORE and Portable assuming you are in North America.

Send an e-mail to and let them know you'd like this fixed.
Old April 24th 20, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 10:03:30 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have a similar problem on tow behind a tow plane with newly installed ADS-B out. The glider Flarm goes nuts. Any fixes for this (besides shutting something off)?

I've seen that as well. A warning for an approaching tow plane seems useful, but for one at the other end of a 200 foot tow rope, not so much.

Is some place to look in a log to see what happened?

You'd think that with all the sophisticated algorithms FLARM uses to predict collisions, that they could also figure out a way to identify a tow plane that was towing a glider and not make it alarm.
Old April 24th 20, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

You'd think that with all the sophisticated algorithms FLARM uses to predict collisions, that they could also figure out a way to identify a tow plane that was towing a glider and not make it alarm.

Or have a button to push that says "Got it - now shut up"
ROY

Old April 24th 20, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Adding the tow plane to flarmnet is a good idea so you can identify it. We did this for our tow plane successfully.
However this has no influence on alarms since the powerflarm core itself does not know anything about flarmnet. The flarmnet is only used by the flarm display.
I been following up with flarm team on the ADSB alarm issue but this got stalled when our club halt operation.

Ramy
Old April 24th 20, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I thought you had to be on a collision course to sound a Flarm alarm.Â*
Dragging at the end of a rope hardly meets that condition.

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 24th 20, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Adsb is handled differently than flarm protocall. Its just altitude and proximity so yes at the other end of the rope it is a target. But mine was solved with the powerflarm update mentioned earlier in this thread.

CH