Sport Pilot Glider Rating?

Old January 3rd 11, 01:53 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Sport Pilot Glider Rating?

Interesting question from a Sport Pilot today. Can a Sport Pilot do a glider add on? Would it be a Sport Glider Pilot license? I haven't heard of such an animal, any one know the answer? Thanks.

Walt
Old January 3rd 11, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

--
Walt Connelly

Apart from the restrictions on the type of aircraft (you would need to
find a Light Sport Glider), the altitude restrictions to 2,000 ft AGL
would make soaring a challenge!

Mike

Old January 3rd 11, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
Apart from the restrictions on the type of aircraft (you would need to
find a Light Sport Glider), the altitude restrictions to 2,000 ft AGL
would make soaring a challenge!

The biggest challenge is probably finding a soaring operation that understands
the Sport Pilot regs and is interested in using them to certify new glider
pilots. If you already have a Sport Pilot license, adding gliders takes the
appropriate training and signoffs by two instructors. Amazingly, it requires no
FAA written or flight test.

The Altitude restriction is 10,000 feet MSL. This can be an issue in some
higher parts of the country but usually not.

You must have flight and ground visibility of 3 miles. There may be days when
this requirement keeps you on the ground while others are flying.

You need to find a glider under 1,320 pounds gross, stall under 45 knots, and
Vne under 120 knots. That fits some existing training gliders.

Read Subpart J of Part 61 for the details.

Vaughn

Old January 3rd 11, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Walt Connelly wrote:
Interesting question from a Sport Pilot today. Can a Sport Pilot do a
glider add on? Would it be a Sport Glider Pilot license? I haven't
heard of such an animal, any one know the answer? Thanks.

Here's my cut at it -
http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GB...sportpilot.htm

Tony
Old January 3rd 11, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Jan 3, 7:14*am, Tony V wrote:
Walt Connelly wrote:
Interesting question from a Sport Pilot today. *Can a Sport Pilot do a
glider add on? *Would it be a Sport Glider Pilot license? *I haven't
heard of such an animal, any one know the answer? *Thanks.

Here's my cut at it -http://home.comcast.net/~verhulst/GBSC/student/sportpilot.htm

Tony

The biggest problem with the sport pilot glider certificate is there
is little incentive to get it over a private certifcate. As I recall
the training in nearly identical. One just has to take the Knowledge
test (I think) and find a DPE to take a practical test, instead of
with a CFI. Most soaring sites are already set up for this. This will
add a few hundred dollars and some additional study for the knowledge
test, but then one does not have the limitations of the Sport pilot
certificate.

Brian
Old January 3rd 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Brian" wrote in message
The biggest problem with the sport pilot glider certificate is there
is little incentive to get it over a private certifcate. As I recall
the training in nearly identical. One just has to take the Knowledge
test (I think) and find a DPE to take a practical test, instead of
with a CFI. Most soaring sites are already set up for this. This will
add a few hundred dollars and some additional study for the knowledge
test, but then one does not have the limitations of the Sport pilot
certificate.

I agree with what you say. I would try to talk any new student into going for
the Private, but that wasn't the original question. The OP seemed to be asking
about a glider add-on to an existing Sport Pilot certificate. That is actually
a pretty simple thing for any glider school to do providing they have a suitable
trainer and two CFIG's.willing to sign.

Vaughn

Old January 3rd 11, 09:44 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Thanks for the info folks, I had never heard of such an animal and the SSA website does not mention it, only Private, Commercial and CFI-G ratings for gliders. Asked a CFI_G and he said it had never come up with a student.

Walt
Old January 4th 11, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 3, 1:44*pm, "vaughn" wrote:
"Brian" wrote in message

[...]

Except that the Sport certificate is only valid for flying light sport
aircraft. I am not aware that any two-seat LSA gliders exist.

Mike
Old January 4th 11, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

Mike the Strike wrote:
...... the Sport certificate is only valid for flying light sport
aircraft. I am not aware that any two-seat LSA gliders exist.

Schweizer 2-33, for one.

Tony