Microair 760 VHF-Transiver

Old October 28th 03, 08:11 AM
Erik Bennekou \(Privat\)

Default Microair 760 VHF-Transiver

Hi!

My old VHF-Transceiver in my LS1-0, is old and getting instable. It is
therefore time for replacement!

I have found Microair 760 VHF Transceiver on the internet. Dual display and
output 4W.

I have found a dealer of the Transceiver here in Denmark. The Transceiver is
in use in UltraLight Planes.

Do any of your gliders, have any experiences, positive and negative, using
this Microair 760 VHF Transceiver in gliders.

Best Regards

Erik Bennekou, LS1-0 #002,
Copenhagen, Denmark

Old October 28th 03, 11:32 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Erik,

I have a Microair transceiver in my glider and think
it is good for the money. I receive most transmissions
loud and clear except for one other glider that uses
another Microair! I don't know why that is and I have
not done anything about it.

Others say my transmissions are loud and clear.

I do like the memory function where I can store, I
think, 25 frequencies. I've stored our airport's 'unicom'
frequency and other 'unicom' frequencies for other
local airports. And, of course, I have 123.3 in memory.
The radio also has a 'flip-flop' feature where the
'active' frequency is shown on the top display line
and the 'standby' frequency is shown on the lower display
line. A quick flip of the toggle switch moves the
standby to active and vice-versa.

The radio is small not only from the face, but also
in length. I don't think it is more than about seven
inches long.

For wiring, I had to beg a friend to do the soldering
of the connections. The connector which attaches to
the rear of the radio looks like some type of computer
connector to me, with about 15 pins, but only a few
of these are used for the setup. Since I'm all thumbs,
especially when it comes to work like this, I get help.
I would imagine this could be the same for a Becker,
Filser, or a Dittel.

I also installed the Microair boom microphone.

Would I buy another Microair radio? Yes.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d, s/n 27, 'W8'

Old October 28th 03, 11:52 AM
David Kinsell

"Erik Bennekou (Privat)" wrote in message k...
Hi!

My old VHF-Transceiver in my LS1-0, is old and getting instable. It is
therefore time for replacement!

I have found Microair 760 VHF Transceiver on the internet. Dual display and
output 4W.

I have found a dealer of the Transceiver here in Denmark. The Transceiver is
in use in UltraLight Planes.

Do any of your gliders, have any experiences, positive and negative, using
this Microair 760 VHF Transceiver in gliders.

Best Regards

Erik Bennekou, LS1-0 #002,
Copenhagen, Denmark

Like so many other topics, this one has been discussed extensively in
the group. Ranks right up there with whether weight affects height in
a pullup, how tires influence trailer stability, what the definition of a 'crash'
is, why it's a brilliant idea to use 12 volt batteries on a 14 volt radio,
and why 2-33's are causing the death of soaring.

Anyway, you can read opinions extensively with a search engine. My
executive summary: a cheap radio, not as easy to use as some of the
other brands, better suited for an individual than a club or commercial
operation. Works well when it works. My opinion is colored by having
a failure after two years of use. People who haven't seen a failure would
give it a more favorable review. Some rumors floating around that its
receive bandwidth is overly narrow, causing difficulties receiving off-frequency
signals. That's a generic problem with aircraft radios, not clear if it's
really worse with Microaires or not. Could be.

Regards,
Dave Kinsell

Old October 28th 03, 01:49 PM
WDM

MicroAir is as good as any radio on the market today. It must be installed
properly to give you great performance. Connections and soldering must be of
quality. A bad installation and you won't be happy with it as applies to any
radio. Micro lists service bulletins on their Web Site. The only problem I
have seen with a MicroAir radio had to do with an internal capacitor on a
small batch of radios (several months worth) manufactured several years ago.
This problem was listed on their web site under service bulletins. I spent
23 cents on a new capacitor and reversed the polarity per the service
bulletin and was as good as new. The MicroAir is 1/3rd to ½ the cost the
German equivalents, so your decision should be obvious.

WDM

Old October 28th 03, 03:31 PM
Bill Daniels

"Erik Bennekou (Privat)" wrote in message
k...
Hi!

My old VHF-Transceiver in my LS1-0, is old and getting instable. It is
therefore time for replacement!

I have found Microair 760 VHF Transceiver on the internet. Dual display

and
output 4W.

I have found a dealer of the Transceiver here in Denmark. The Transceiver

is
in use in UltraLight Planes.

Do any of your gliders, have any experiences, positive and negative, using
this Microair 760 VHF Transceiver in gliders.

Best Regards

Erik Bennekou, LS1-0 #002,
Copenhagen, Denmark

I own one and have used a couple of others. When they work, they seem to
work very well. The interface is a bit cumbersome but you get used to that.
Installation cable sets are available from dealers and are probably worth
the money. I made my own cables which work fine but there is a lot of
opportunity to mess up the job.

I have a suspicion that the radio is somewhat sensitive to low voltage.
When the battery is low, you can receive well but your transmissions are
garbage. This is a case where a 14V battery might be a good idea. If this
turns out to be a problem, I will add a separate 14-15V battery just for the
radio. (I'm looking at the 15V Li-Ion laptop batteries.)

I also think that the electret microphone amplifier may be set for the noisy
cockpits of powered aircraft. My cockpit is very quiet so I tend to speak
softly into the mike which under-modulates the signal. This is adjustable
so I may try to boost the mike sensitivity a little.

Bill Daniels

Old October 28th 03, 04:07 PM
Henryk Birecki

I had my Microair760 as for four years now. It works as well as any
other radio I have seen or used. You will have to spend some time
getting used to how the controls for switching frequency, storing
numbers... operate, but that is probably true for any transisiton to
new equipment. I found Microair also very helpful in fixing problems
when they arise ( I did not have any except for "preventive"
maintenance that Microair put out a warning about a loo..ong while
back, had to do with a capacitor in display circuitry if I remember
correctly). Most problems people report with radios actually have to
do with a microphone, so get a good one that matches Microair specs.
You can also buy one from them.

Henryk Birecki

Old October 28th 03, 05:23 PM

I have a Microair in my PW-5. It works great, no complaints at all.

What is interesting is that the previous owner rigged additional connections
to the radio.

One is a fairly large red button on the panel that does the flip-flop of the
freq. which is a lot easier to use in flight. The other is a small switch to
turn the backlight on and off. Very interesting arrangement.

If you would like a photo, just send me an email as I cannot attach it to
this newsgroup.

Chet
(former Maersk USA employee)

Old October 30th 03, 01:00 PM
Ian McPhee

I am pleased to read positive reports on Microair. I have always found
receive excellent. There have been a few problems but read their
service section especially if you get strange characters on the
display. I must own up to being the maker of the boom microphone for
Microair. There could be about 15 microphones out there with a
possible problem mic insert and the sr no would have been early 600
(now over 1200) The insert got changed by supplier before I realised
there was a problem and I was able to get about 30 back in. The next
problem is associated with Icom Boom mics with their insert which on
occasions just does not transmit. People blame the radio but it is
the Icom insert. I strongly recommend you fit a small press switch
just below your little finger on stick then load about the 5 most used
frequencies and by 2 or 3 presses you can change to any desired freq
without ever touching the radio. I also recommend the back light be
activated by another press button so that after dark you can read the
freq incase of emergency. I supply both these with the harness I
supply and I really hope you do this. For what it is worth you may be
interested in another Aussie radio called x-com which will come out
soon I believe.
Ian McPhee
Box 657 Byron Bay NSW 2481 Australia
tel +61 2 66 847642 mob +61 428 847642

www.mrsoaring.com

Becker AR 4201 or Microair 760 Transceiver Steve B Soaring 23 September 15th 03 06:32 PM
Looking for deal on Microair 760 JJ Masters Home Built 3 August 30th 03 11:41 PM
Microair vs Becker Ian McPhee Soaring 0 August 30th 03 09:45 PM
Any Microair 760 service?????? Juan E Jimenez Home Built 0 July 23rd 03 01:53 AM
Any Microair 760 service?????? Juan E Jimenez Aviation Marketplace 0 July 23rd 03 01:53 AM