Altimeter Setting

Old June 3rd 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Altimeter Setting

On Jun 2, 1:14*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
On Jun 2, 11:10*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:

On Jun 2, 6:39*am, "
wrote: On Jun 2, 7:16*am, Cats wrote:

...Also MSL is not the

"datum" used in collision aviodance.
Cookie

Uh, wrong. *When you report your altitude over the radio, you are
going to read it off the altimeter, and if you are below 18,000ft (in
the US) it should be set to QFE for the closest reporting point.

Doh... obviously, I meant "QNH" (set to read MSL) not QFE (set to read
height above selected airfield).

Later reference to QFE is correct.

Everyone sufficiently confused now?

Now back to your regular program....

Kirk
66

See what I mean?

Cookie
Old June 3rd 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 2, 8:08*am, Cats wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:39*pm, "twocoolglid...@juno. com wrote:

snip

BTW * "" double quotes"" would look like this *"quotes" look like
this.......LOL

No, those are double double quotes.
The Single quote character is this: '
The Double quote character is this: "

Double quotes (plural) as you had two of them - one each end of
expert.

You're right! """I stand corrected!""" ( I put that in triple-
double quotes because I am quoting my self when I quoted somebody
else, who was quoting somebody else!

Cookie
Old June 3rd 10, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
valsoar

II'm sure someone already pointed this out but in the US, I really
don't have a choice...

Sec. 91.121

Altimeter settings.

(a) Each person operating an aircraft shall maintain the cruising
altitude or flight level of that aircraft, as the case may be, by
reference to an altimeter that is set, when operating--
(1) Below 18,000 feet MSL, to--
(i) The current reported altimeter setting of a station along the
route and within 100 nautical miles of the aircraft;
(ii) If there is no station within the area prescribed in paragraph (a)
(1)(i) of this section, the current reported altimeter setting of an
appropriate available station; or
(iii) In the case of an aircraft not equipped with a radio, the
elevation of the departure airport or an appropriate altimeter setting
available before departure; or
(2) At or above 18,000 feet MSL, to 29.92'' Hg.
Old June 3rd 10, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

kirk.stant wrote:
/snip/ When you report your altitude over the radio, you are
going to read it off the altimeter, and if you are below 18,000ft (in
the US) it should be set to QFE for the closest reporting point.

Uh?

So when someone calls out that he is "Eastbound over Littletown at
7300ft" on a hazy afternoon, and you are westbound over Littletown,
staring into the sun, at 7400ft, you had better hope he is using the
correct altimeter setting! Cuz that's how you are going to check to
see if you have altitude deconfliction (since I doubt you have TCAS in
your glider).

Perhaps not applicable to gliders, but a semicircular rule for VFR
flight makes sense: Odd and a half thousands on course 0-179DegMag
Even and a half thousands on course 180 to 359 magnetic...

You are correct that transponders use pressure altitude when
reporting, but that is a different issue - you don't normally use raw
Mode C altitude data in the cockpit for altitude deconfliction - and
ATC applies a correction when reporting traffic altitude over the
radio.

My .02$: QFE can be useful for low altitude aerobatics - for an
airshow pilot who performs at a lot of different locations. That's
about it, since the advent of radio altimeters and GPS. Otherwise,
QNH is what should be used (and it's arguably required by the FARs),
from the very beginning. I don't want to share airspace with someone
who can't do the math and needs the altimeter to know when to turn
Base and Final! (Hint - if you are really math-in-the-cockpit
challenged, write the darn pattern altitude on the back of your
hand!).

Kirk
66

Brian W
Old June 3rd 10, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lewis Hartswick

Cats wrote:
The Single quote character is this: '

That isn't a quote . At least wasn't when I wet to school in the USA
It may be elsewhere or it could have change in the last 60 years.
...Lew..
Old June 3rd 10, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On May 31, 8:22*pm, PK wrote:
There is absolutly no rationale for setting the altimeter to AGL.The
only excuse I am willing to accept, and it is a rather poor one, if he
or she would NEVER EVER be willing to be out of glide to their home
field. And how many glider pilots were NEVER EVER in that position? 6PK

Not even that!

What if the pilot hears a radio call such as "Airport XYZ traffic,
Cessna 1234, 2 miles south crossing midfield at 2500"?

Where will he be looking? Up? Down?

When I flew at CCSC 18 or so years ago, I would set the club ship's
altimeter to the CORRECT setting, and let the next pilot deal with it.

-Tom
Old June 3rd 10, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 2, 4:47*am, "
wrote:
Altimeter is a TOOL.......tool's are for the ease of use of the
user.......My tools work for me, I don't work for my tools. Tools can
be used in different ways for different purposes. *Using MSL on the
altimeter does serve a good purpose for many situations, but not
all........

So at the 500' MSL airport your kid sets the altimeter to ZERO. He
takes off and is cruising around at 2,000' when an airplane checks in
at 2,500', so the kid answers with his altitude. As your kid looks
around and UP for the plane, and the plane's pilot is looking DOWN,
BAM!! End of story :-(

Need I say more?

-Tom
Old June 3rd 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

(snip)
We can't set to "Zero" our MSL on the ground is higher than the altimeter
can adjust.

(snip)
We cannot set "Zero", our MSL on the ground is higher than the altimeter can
adjust.

(snip)
We cannot set "Zero", our MSL on the ground is higher than the altimeter can
adjust.

(snip)
We cannot set "Zero", our MSL on the ground is higher than the altimeter can
adjust.

(snip)
We cannot set "Zero", our MSL on the ground is higher than the altimeter can
adjust.

Uhh, nice try- but you were assigned 25 standards to write about not
being able to set "Zero" on your altimeter at your MSL on the ground -
and you only turned in five. Unacceptable. For that, you owe 25 more,
plus 25 additional standards about skimping on your assigned
standards.

When those are done and you've calmed down we can talk about when you
get to start soaring again, but for now your grounded mister. à²*_à²*

-Paul

Old June 3rd 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 2, 6:04*am, 150flivver wrote:
*I fly a
towplane and use QFE 99% of the time--any position calls I make I
convert to MSL (I have a table to reference on my legboard).

Why? To keep track of AGL release altitudes?

Seems to me it would be easier to do the math for that at the end of
the day, instead of during a stressful collision resolution.

-Tom

Old June 3rd 10, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:13:37 -0600, Lewis Hartswick wrote:

Cats wrote:
The Single quote character is this: '

That isn't a quote . At least wasn't when I wet to school in the USA It
may be elsewhere or it could have change in the last 60 years.
...Lew..

Its meaning is context dependent. I know three uses of it:

1) As 'single quote marks' in an English sentence.
2) As a character literal marker in programming, e.g 'a'.
3) To indicate ownership, it which case it's occurrence is never paired.

Only the first two uses are called quote marks or single quotes. When
used as the third case it is called an apostrophe.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

WTB: used 57mm Altimeter OR swap for 80mm Altimeter joesimmers Soaring 0 November 3rd 09 11:59 AM
setting up a Garmin 296 Cub Driver Piloting 10 October 29th 04 08:43 PM
Altimeter setting != Sea Level Pressure - Why? JT Wright Piloting 5 April 5th 04 01:04 AM
Setting QNH BTIZ Piloting 31 March 12th 04 04:29 PM
Setting up the workshop.... Evan Batchelor Restoration 3 March 4th 04 02:54 PM