Sigh... (USA)

Old June 13th 12, 11:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan[_4_]

Default Sigh... (USA)

Thanks, Bill - lots of choice!

Dan

I see those antennae are optimized for 868 Mhz, not 915 for north
america; there will be some loss as a result. Nice to see the market
come up with solutions like this, though.

FWIW, there are a lot of aftermarket antennas available for 915 MHz.
Google "915MHz antenna". *EDN has some interesting PCB antenna designs
which could be modified for thin-film stick-on antennas.

Old June 18th 12, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Airsailing midair report (was Sigh... (USA))

On Jun 10, 1:43*pm, Chris wrote:
Ramy wrote:
I think short of something like FLARM, the only thing which could have
prevented this would have been better situational awareness of which other
giders were working in the same area.

I can only support this. Looking out is the first thing to do. But FLARM
really can help to save your day (maybe your life). I had a near miss
yesterday. FLARM did indicate traffic right of my course. Still not seeing
the other glider, I did a left turn. In the same moment the other glider
passed me in a distance of maybe two wingspans.

These little boxes really work. Everyone who can afford a glider of some
1000 $ or ? can also afford another some 100.
Chris

I flew my first contest last week; R8 Sports Class. Several pilots
were using the rental Flarm units and Richard at Craggy had a stand-
alone unit he brought along and I bought it. I wasn't really thinking
of installing it until after a few days of flying with the guys using
PF and hearing all the great things they were saying about it. I did
install it, it was an easy install and it looks great on the hood of
my Tetra-15. I am really happy with it, it works and I had a handful
of alerts from other sailplanes as well as from a Cessna 210 that
climbed right over the top of me by 150'; I saw him about the same
time the Flarm sounded, I'm sure he never even saw me, I've flown
Cessna's and know the over-the-nose view while climbing is nil.

I'm probably going to sound like a reformed smoker now, but I am going
to really promote the PF to all my soaring
buddies.................this thing works!

As been said befo "don't let the quest for perfection be the enemy
of the good!"

Brad
GK
Old June 18th 12, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_2_]

Ditto.