Setting QNH

Old March 7th 04, 07:02 PM
BTIZ

Default Setting QNH

Back to the thread on pilots setting QNH for local acro work.

I was in the trusty Pawnee this weekend and checked the altimeter, I can
only select settings from 28.10 to 31.50, so.. following the others advice
of setting QNH. I could not.

I attempted to find this information in my personal library but could not
readily find a source.. so the best source available was to "go to the
instrument".

The lowest I could set at 28.10 still gave me 750ft MSL on the dial, and
obviously 2077 feet below the current terra firma, no way to set ZERO.

So, fly with the correct QFE and do the mental math, precompute your
altitudes required to give the terrain clearance you need.

BT

Old March 7th 04, 08:18 PM
S Green

Sure you got that the right way around. QFE for ground level and QNH for
airfield elevation

sg

Old March 7th 04, 11:42 PM
BTIZ

ok.. I may be backwards... I don't normally define the use of Q settings..

The bottom line is, the discussion was brought up with the AF T-Bird doing
acro and not computing the altitude needed at the top of a maneuver to
safely pull out above ground level. Some argue to set the altimeter to zero
elevation before takeoff. It just can't be done in many places out west.

Many glider pilots along the coast use the same tactic, always knowing their
height above the local airport they departed from, but not the local ridges.
And if they are going cross country.. they are really going to be doing some
mental math.

Bottom Line? set the altimeter to local field elevation, not sea level

BT

Old March 8th 04, 12:25 PM
Stefan

BTIZ wrote:

The bottom line is, the discussion was brought up with the AF T-Bird doing
acro and not computing the altitude needed at the top of a maneuver to
safely pull out above ground level. Some argue to set the altimeter to zero
elevation before takeoff. It just can't be done in many places out west.

The problem is, you usually trainig acro at your home base. So you get
used to the "floor" altitude needed in that place. Chances are that you
get so accostomed to that altitude that you fall back to it even when
you fly at another place. Y This is eliminated by settinig the altimeter
to zero (i.e. QFE). And, btw, I've yet to see an altimeter that can't be
set to QFE even at 5000 ft elevation, but what do I know.

Stefan

Old March 8th 04, 04:55 PM
David Brooks

"BTIZ" wrote in message
ok.. I may be backwards... I don't normally define the use of Q settings..

The bottom line is, the discussion was brought up with the AF T-Bird doing
acro and not computing the altitude needed at the top of a maneuver to
safely pull out above ground level. Some argue to set the altimeter to

zero
elevation before takeoff. It just can't be done in many places out west.

IIRC, this discussion earlier revealed that the T-bird pilots have
super-wizzo-thingummy altimeters that can indeed set QFE at high elevations.
Granted, yours and mine can't.

-- David Brooks

Old March 8th 04, 05:37 PM
Dudley Henriques

"David Brooks" wrote in message
"BTIZ" wrote in message
ok.. I may be backwards... I don't normally define the use of Q

settings..

The bottom line is, the discussion was brought up with the AF T-Bird

doing
acro and not computing the altitude needed at the top of a maneuver to
safely pull out above ground level. Some argue to set the altimeter to

zero
elevation before takeoff. It just can't be done in many places out west.

IIRC, this discussion earlier revealed that the T-bird pilots have
super-wizzo-thingummy altimeters that can indeed set QFE at high

elevations.
Granted, yours and mine can't.

-- David Brooks

Hi David;

The Thunderbirds use a standard altimeter setting for the point of
demonstration and do not use a 0 altimeter set. Their maneuver profiles are
corrected to MSL altitudes. Stricklin unfortunately on the way up the front
side of his maneuver mentally "corrected" his reverse top target gate to
Nellis' elevation instead of where he was. This put the Viper way low of
where it should have been at the top side commit. He missed his visual cues
as well. The airplane simply didn't have the g available vs the altitude
under it to cut the corner.
Dudley

Old March 8th 04, 11:50 PM
John Galban

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message link.net...
This put the Viper way low of
where it should have been at the top side commit. He missed his visual cues
as well. The airplane simply didn't have the g available vs the altitude
under it to cut the corner.

Hey Dudley,

I've notice that in several posts over the last few months regarding
the T-Birds, you refer to the planes as Vipers. Is there something
different about these F-16s that they have a different name?

Just wondering,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 9th 04, 12:23 AM
Dudley Henriques

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

link.net...
This put the Viper way low of
where it should have been at the top side commit. He missed his visual

cues
as well. The airplane simply didn't have the g available vs the altitude
under it to cut the corner.

Hey Dudley,

I've notice that in several posts over the last few months regarding
the T-Birds, you refer to the planes as Vipers. Is there something
different about these F-16s that they have a different name?

Just wondering,

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Viper is the nickname that stuck for the F16 in the fighter community. Thank
God !!!!!!.....the girls weren't really all that impressed with "Lawn Dart"
:-))
And somehow, the name "Fighting Falcon" just never caught on either. It's
usually this way with our birds. The manufacturers' sales department has a
meeting one day and picks some terrible idiotic name that they think is in
character with the product......you know, the same way some people with dogs
like to name them. I can't remember the last time I ran into a two hundred
and ten pound Rotweiler named "Muffin" :-))))) It's usually something like
"Ripper! "
Then, when the airplane makes it out into the general fighter community, we
get a hold of it and rename it to suit ourselves. That's the name that
sticks. Hence the "Viper" tag!
Dudley

Old March 9th 04, 12:42 AM
BTIZ

well... I've not seen an altimeter in US aircraft that can dial out 5000ft
of altitude.. that would mean the altimeter would have to be adjustable from
29.92 to 24.92, and mine only goes to 28.10

BT

Old March 9th 04, 12:44 AM
BTIZ

In 20yrs AF, I've never called an F-16 anything other than a Viper..

and don't go calling my plane by it's "official name" either... you'll be
targeted as a non-knowing person... it's a Bone... that's it..

BT