Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

Old June 5th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Those *dangerous* Korean War relics

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
y.com...
Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side
you'd have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been
"Massa".

As a matter of historical fact, my ancestors were not "Massa" as far
back as the early 1700s, which is about as far back as I've been
able to trace them.

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

In which case, this is even more unlikely. I am completely against the
idea that people can be "owned" by another person.

Like I said, hindsight is easy.

When you learn to differentiate between yourself and other
people...unless you have multiple personalities.

What "other people" might you be referring to, Matt? I thought you were
referring to something that could be empirically determined but was
obviously mistaken, as your "clarification" suggests.

Well, if you're that anal...

None the less, your
"clarification" only makes things easier, since I am quite clear about my
attitudes toward slavery, and they are completely incongruous with any
possibility of being "Massa".

See hindsight remarks above.

Here's a question for you to see how firm your position is:

Is health care a right?

At the very least should it be provided in some cases by government?

Get your check ready.

Old June 5th 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I did NOT say this...
| "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
| I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents
of
| the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from
the
| descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally
enslaved?
| Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.
Remember the
| past, yes, but get over it.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote in message
. ..
| Skywise wrote:
| "Jim Macklin"
wrote in
| I'll second that. I'm sick and tired of the descendents
of
| the slaves demanding recompense (in whatever form) from
the
| descendents of the slave owners. Were you personally
enslaved?
| Were you personally a slave owner? I thought not.
Remember the
| past, yes, but get over it.
|

| None of the above. My maternal ancestors came over during
the Potato Famine to
| Massachusetts. It's safe to assume they didn't own
anybody. My paternal
| grandparents came here from Austria in 1920. hey didn't
own anyone either.
| Given those facts, I don't believe I owe anyone ****.
|
| The Poles abused my grandfather; he hated them. Do I hate
Poles? Hell, no.
| What have they ever done to *me*? Nothing. What's in the
past is in the past.
| If it were a part of my own life experience, I might hold
a grudge. But it
| isn't... so I don't.
|
| People like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson latch onto
issues like this to cover

Old June 5th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Matt Barrow wrote:

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

Oh, I think that is a cheap out. Not that I didn't expect it.

Old June 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Neil Gould" wrote in message
Recently, Matt Barrow posted:

Gee...isn't hindsight beautiful? Wanna bet a months pay which side
you'd have been on IN REAL TIME? Bet that145 years ago, you'd been
"Massa".

As a matter of historical fact, my ancestors were not "Massa" as
far back as the early 1700s, which is about as far back as I've
been able to trace them.

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

In which case, this is even more unlikely. I am completely against
the idea that people can be "owned" by another person.

Like I said, hindsight is easy.

And, in my case, completely unnecessary to determine the issue you
presented.

Here's a question for you to see how firm your position is:

Is health care a right?

Not in the USA.

At the very least should it be provided in some cases by government?

That depends on the type of society that US citizens want to have. I play
the cards in my hand, not the ones that might have been dealt under some
imaginary circumstances. YMMV.

Neil

Old June 5th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jules" wrote in message

Matt Barrow wrote:

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

Oh, I think that is a cheap out. Not that I didn't expect it.

The statement was obvious, but I guess I should have expected an adolescent
evasion/spin in response.

Old June 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jules" wrote in message

Matt Barrow wrote:

I didn't say your ancestors, I said YOU!

Oh, I think that is a cheap out. Not that I didn't expect it.

If I wanted his family history, I would have asked for family history.

Are you MPD too?

Old June 5th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
Somewhere along the line in the past one of our ancesters
probably killed someone in cold blood. So, since you, me,
and anyone else probably benefitted from this murder, then
we should report to the nearest gallows to await our hanging.

You apparently fail to grasp the distinction between punishment (which no
one in this debate advocates) and civil reparation (returning something
its rightful owner).

Ahhh...ok...then that means we have to give all the black people
back to their African home nations?

That only follows if you regard black people as property (and your comment
suggests you do).

I see I forgot to add a to my comment. I was being rhetorical.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old June 5th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

"Skywise" wrote in message
Returning stolen property to it's rightful owner is one thing. But
we are talking about you and me today paying blacks of today some
sort of punitive reparations for what happened over a hundred years
ago by people and to people who are long dead.

Who is talking about *punitive* reparations?

I was, from the very first post I made in this thread. It
now appears our whole argument is based on your misreading
of my post. Or is this one of those arguments where one
side keeps changing the subject of what's being argued
over? The ol' "moving the goalposts" problem. I rather
suspect it is and have no further desire to continue the
discussion.

For your reference, here's the text of the post I made in
response to a comment made by Jim Macklin,

"Jim Macklin" wrote in

Snipola
Laws change, society changes, hopefully for the better. We
should remember the past, so we don't continue to make the
same mistakes, but we must get over the anger and personal
feelings about what happened 50, 100, 150, 500, 2000 years
ago.

Old June 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Barrow" wrote in news:OGWgg.8$yy2.2877
@news.uswest.net:

"Skywise" wrote in message
"Gary Drescher" wrote in
:

Returning stolen property to it's rightful owner is one thing. But
we are talking about you and me today paying blacks of today some
sort of punitive reparations for what happened over a hundred years
ago by people and to people who are long dead.

Don't try using rationality on an irrational dupe.

Yes, that's becoming clear to me in this case.

Old June 5th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
Do you have the transcript? I don't, but I remember what I
heard. I have not read the book, what I heard was in an
interview on C-SPAN.

Someone else posted a link elsewhere in the thread.

It may not have been to a transcript of what you heard.

Even if he literally said something like, "I'm glad my ancestors
were brought here as slaves so I'm living here today instead
of in Africa." by NO sgtretch of the imagination could that be
interpretted as though he preferred that to his ancestors coming
to the US as free immigrants, or that his ancestors who
were slaves were _themselves_ better off because of it.

Not that anyone said that, but some folks might be
thinking it was said.

E.g. being the descendant of a slave in the most of the US
may well bebetter than being the descendant of free people
in much of Africa. That's because in both cases it matters
little whom your ancestors were, so long as they were African.

--

FF