SeeYou Single Person License

Old May 10th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_1_]

Default SeeYou Single Person License

Jim Vincent wrote:
I was going to buy a copy of SeeYou from a friend since he uses Strepla for
his flight reviews. He contacted SeeYou, and they told him that the license
was specific to him only. My understanding of the US Uniform Commercial
Code does not allow for single user restraints down to a specific user, it
only allows for constrains as to the quantity of users. For the legal types
out there, what is the legality of designating a license to a specific
person?

Jim,

This type of license conforms with US law as well as with European law.
Caveat - I'm not a US lawyer, but am Professor of Electronic Commerce
Law in London and know enough US federal law (which is primarily what is
involved here) to be sure of my statement. You might find some loophole
in your State consumer law, but not in the Uniform Commercial Code.

Put yourself in the position of Naviter, trying to service a tiny world
market, and ask if they could control transferrable licenses well enough
to stay in business.

So I'd say that both the legality and morality are on their side, not yours.
Old May 10th 07, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

Does a SeeYou license key work on a different computer
anyway? When I bought a laptop I couldn't get my
desktop SeeYou key to work on it and bought a second
license.

John Galloway

Old May 10th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

John Galloway wrote:
Does a SeeYou license key work on a different computer
anyway? When I bought a laptop I couldn't get my
desktop SeeYou key to work on it and bought a second
license.

Licence transfers no problem - you do have to contact Naviter to get a key. My
software is on it's third PC. (and second upgrade)

Bruce

Old May 10th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Why are glider pilots such cheapskates? - they'll spend 100k on a ship
and then baulk at spending 10, 20 or 50 on some minor piece of
equipment.

Some of us are cheapskates because we can't afford anything else.

I fly an $11,000 glider that I have owned for almost 10 years, Drive a
$1,500 Car.

Last year I paid...
$144 Insurance
$64 SSA Membership
$75 Annual
$10 State Registration
$550 for Glider Tows.
for a yearly total budget of about $843
I would love to have SeeYou but it costs almost 21% of my annual
soaring budget.

Brian

Old May 10th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

It only costs you that one time, Brian, like the money you spent on
your glider, which you forgot to include in your annual soaring
budget.

Of course, if you don't want the software that's fine, but to anyone
who feels the impulse to skirt the license issue, remember those folks
at Naviter have mouths to feed too, and they are not getting rich on
this product.

2NO

Old May 10th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 10, 12:51 pm, Brian wrote:
Why are glider pilots such cheapskates? - they'll spend 100k on a ship
and then baulk at spending 10, 20 or 50 on some minor piece of
equipment.

Some of us are cheapskates because we can't afford anything else.

I fly an $11,000 glider that I have owned for almost 10 years, Drive a
$1,500 Car.

Last year I paid...
$144 Insurance
$64 SSA Membership
$75 Annual
$10 State Registration
$550 for Glider Tows.
for a yearly total budget of about $843
I would love to have SeeYou but it costs almost 21% of my annual
soaring budget.

Brian

Get a proper job then

Al

Old May 10th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

SeeYou keys are not tied to PC serial numbers. You can install it on as
many of your PCs as you like without any need for additional keys. The same
is true for SeeYou Mobile.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old May 11th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Why are glider pilots such cheapskates? - they'll spend 100k on a ship
and then baulk at spending 10, 20 or 50 on some minor piece of
equipment.

The point of my previous post is that for guy that learned fly by
delivering pizza's while going to college. I think we do a real dis-
service to the sport by stereotyping glider pilots (even power pilots)
as a rich people. The General public does this well enough on its own
and as a result you see silly proposals like user fees for those "rich
people" that fly airplanes..

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
HP16T

Old May 11th 07, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On May 10, 2:46 pm, "
wrote:
On May 10, 12:51 pm, Brian wrote:

Why are glider pilots such cheapskates? - they'll spend 100k on a ship
and then baulk at spending 10, 20 or 50 on some minor piece of
equipment.

Some of us are cheapskates because we can't afford anything else.

I fly an $11,000 glider that I have owned for almost 10 years, Drive a
$1,500 Car.

Last year I paid...
$144 Insurance
$64 SSA Membership
$75 Annual
$10 State Registration
$550 for Glider Tows.
for a yearly total budget of about $843
I would love to have SeeYou but it costs almost 21% of my annual
soaring budget.

Brian

Get a proper job then

Al- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, yeah,

I should give up on this flight instruction thing and get a real job.
But I have some much fun doing it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL