Crab, slips, and crossed controls

Old September 23rd 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Crab, slips, and crossed controls

On Sep 23, 10:16*am, wrote:
On Sep 23, 8:12*am, jeremy wrote:

Stefan wrote:
An airline pilot who happens to also be a pretty good sailplane pilot
told me that it would have been much easier and equally efficient to
just do S turns to adjust the glide path. This would also have avoided
possible problems driving the air driven generator. The pilot who who
did a glider landing with anairbus on the Azores in 2001 used that
technique.

Probably the easiest alternative to trying to haul the thing around the sky
with degraded controls.

JJ

* * * *S-turns are OK if you have the room. If you're in too close
they're useless. I can image the distance needed to S-turn an
airliner...

* * *Dan

Friend of mine, Jack Selby, was chief pilot for the old Capital
Airways out of Smyrna Ga. Watched Jack fishtail a stretch DC8 side to
side on final once scrubbing off altitude. Beautiful landing; great
pilot too!
Old September 23rd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tim[_1_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

Friend of mine, Jack Selby, was chief pilot for the old Capital
Airways out of Smyrna Ga. Watched Jack fishtail a stretch DC8 side to
side on final once scrubbing off altitude. Beautiful landing; great
pilot too!

*******

I bet the passengers all the way in back loved him for that!

Old September 23rd 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Sep 23, 11:12*am, "Tim" wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote

Friend of mine, Jack Selby, was chief pilot for the old Capital
Airways out of Smyrna Ga. Watched Jack fishtail a stretch DC8 side to
side on final once scrubbing off altitude. Beautiful landing; great
pilot too!

*******

I bet the passengers all the way in back loved him for that!

No passengers involved; training flight ; landing was at the end of a
line check.
Old September 23rd 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:59:34 -0700 (PDT), Gene Seibel wrote:

Slips were in common use for bringing an aircraft down in the days
before flaps, and were taught for that purpose when learned to fly in
the 70's. They work very well. Is that no longer being taught?

A power-out slip to landing? I had to beg for it.
Old September 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Gezellig wrote in news:6jsl4oF4u1b1U1
@mid.individual.net:

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 06:59:34 -0700 (PDT), Gene Seibel wrote:

Slips were in common use for bringing an aircraft down in the days
before flaps, and were taught for that purpose when learned to fly in
the 70's. They work very well. Is that no longer being taught?

A power-out slip to landing? I had to beg for it.

Your instructor was jewish?

Bertie
Old September 23rd 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Stefan" wrote in message
BTW, some glider pilots use short slips to take up slack from the tow rope,
should there happen to occur some in turbulence. Most prefer the use of
airbrakes, though.

I never use the spoilers/airbrakes to take up slack, (though really slippery
sailplanes will sometimes start a tow while holding just a tad of spoiler).
That much control authority is simply not necessary. A glider tow is a very
delicate dance, it takes timing and (usually) tiny control inputs. Usually a
little climb will do the job to take up the slack. If you screwed up and got a
really bad slack rope, you push rudder a bit to yaw, which increases drag a bit
but perhaps more importantly puts your tow hook off center from the CG. Then,
when the inevitable 'snatch" happens, some of the excess energy goes into
pulling the nose around rather than suddenly accelerating the glider and causing
the rope to go slack yet again.

Vaughn

Old September 23rd 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

John Godwin wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote in
m:

Once we were back on the ground and with his boss close by I left
him reading about them in the FAA Airplane Flying Handbook they
had in the office.

That's incredible. When I took my CFI Ride, I had to demonstrate a
maximum effort forward slip on final. Kicked out when I was over the
fence and hit the numbers. Seems as if your instructor didn't know the
difference between a slip and a skid.

Since this was over 20 years ago I often wonder if this guy is sitting
in the left seat of a 747 somewhere. It kind of scares me.

Old September 23rd 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Sep 24, 5:12*am, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

* *I never use the spoilers/airbrakes to take up slack, (though really slippery
sailplanes will sometimes start a tow while holding just a tad of spoiler).
That much control authority is simply not necessary. *A glider tow is a very
delicate dance, it takes timing and (usually) tiny control inputs. *Usually a
little climb will do the job to take up the slack. *If you screwed up and got a
really bad slack rope, you push rudder a bit to yaw, which increases drag a bit
but perhaps more importantly puts your tow hook off center from the CG. *Then,
when the inevitable 'snatch" happens, some of the excess energy goes into
pulling the nose around rather than suddenly accelerating the glider and causing
the rope to go slack yet again.

The bit where you see the towplane 'yoing' into the atmosphere and you
know that you're going to hit that same lift in a second or two with
the towplane now almost above you :-)
Makes life interesting

Old September 23rd 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Vaughn Simon wrote:
you push rudder a bit to yaw, which increases drag a bit
but perhaps more importantly puts your tow hook off center from the CG.

unless ya have a CG hook like me.

Which doesn't mean the slip doesn't help even with a CG hook. I use either
method, except the climb method.
I don't like having that much more potential energy to have to relinquish on
the rope.

We all have our little dances on tow.

Old September 23rd 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Vaughn Simon schrieb:

If you screwed up and got a really bad slack rope,

I'm not sure I'd call a slack rope while towing through a rotor a screw
up. As always, it all depends.

Slips and skids William Hung[_2_] Piloting 25 March 17th 08 02:27 AM
slips to landing in PTS BB Soaring 6 April 17th 07 05:58 AM
Slips and spins in FSX? Chris Wells Simulators 0 December 14th 06 08:24 PM
A reluctance to take the controls Jay Honeck Piloting 161 December 1st 06 08:27 PM
About forward slips Mxsmanic Piloting 77 November 2nd 06 11:35 PM