Preflighting my plane - Video

Old September 26th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Preflighting my plane - Video

In article 8ac82ae29a700@uwe,
"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:

I Haven't flown an airplane for around 20+ years but I remember most of the
preflight procedure from memory. One thing we did was after taking the fuel
sample, we would chuck it out on the ground.
You make reference to EPA's take on that.
I'm certain there are recommendations against- if not outright prohibitions
on tossing fuel on the ground nowadays.
What are current approaches to fuel sample disposal and such.

Fuel at $8.00+ per gallon is too precious to "chuck on the ground".
There is a device known as a Gatt Jar that one holds up to the sump to
drain a fuel sample. The top of the Gatt Jar has a lid with a fine mesh
strainer, which is attached to a large (0.5 l) plastic bottle to hold
the fuel. The fuel is then poured back into the tank through the filler
cap.
Some states have environmental laws against "chucking it on the
ground"due to the lead content and potential contamination.
Old September 26th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

John Smith wrote:

Fuel at $8.00+ per gallon is too precious to "chuck on the ground".
There is a device known as a Gatt Jar

I haven't found anything on the web about gatt jar and aviation fuel.
How does potential water contamination get separated?

Old September 27th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article 8ac9263a27232@uwe,

John Smith wrote:

Fuel at $8.00+ per gallon is too precious to "chuck on the ground".
There is a device known as a Gatt Jar

I haven't found anything on the web about gatt jar and aviation fuel.
How does potential water contamination get separated?

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl....roduct_id=1821

This fuel tester allows you to put preflight fuel samples back into your
airplane (a great alternative to tossing sampled fuel onto the ground: a
practice now discouraged by the EPA). Sample and check your fuel as
always. Then, as sampled fuel is returned to the tank, a unique,
built-in screen separates solids and non-petroleum contaminants, so only
clean, pure fuel is returned to the tank. Reversible sump actuator fits
both pin and petcock actuators. Wide mouth collector helps protect hands
and clothing. Resilient plastic construction makes the GATS Jar
virtually indestructible with normal handling.