A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XCSoar / TopHat maps airspace etc.

Old April 10th 18, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / TopHat maps airspace etc.

Hi everyone,

I just installed TopHat Soaring on a Kobo e-reader yesterday and am seeking a source for the map, airspace,, and turnpoint files for the areas where I fly, which are BRSS in New Castle, VA and the Chilhowee Gliderport in Benton, TN.

I have tried using the XCSoar map generator (http://mapgen.xcsoar.org) several times to obtain the map file. It times out or returns an error each time.

I was hoping that a member of this group might be in possession of the necessary files and could send them to me.

I'm also interested in the same for the default scenery in Condor I or II. Playing with TopHat in simulation seems like a good way to learn it before trying to use it in real life.

Thanks-
Matt
Old April 10th 18, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 1:28:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just installed TopHat Soaring on a Kobo e-reader yesterday and am seeking a source for the map, airspace,, and turnpoint files for the areas where I fly, which are BRSS in New Castle, VA and the Chilhowee Gliderport in Benton, TN.

I have tried using the XCSoar map generator (http://mapgen.xcsoar.org) several times to obtain the map file. It times out or returns an error each time.

I was hoping that a member of this group might be in possession of the necessary files and could send them to me.

I'm also interested in the same for the default scenery in Condor I or II. Playing with TopHat in simulation seems like a good way to learn it before trying to use it in real life.

Thanks-
Matt

Turn the wifi on and go to settings, cog looking tab, click on site files and Tophat should show a list to pick from.
Old April 10th 18, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 1:44:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks-
Matt

Turn the wifi on and go to settings, cog looking tab, click on site files and Tophat should show a list to pick from.

Direct download may work in some devices, but not others. I download on PC and then load into my Nook.

I managed to generate the map file on the XCSoar map generator. Took a few tries but only had to do it once (for several years' use).

Note that for the recent versions of Tophat the map data must be in "compressed" format, otherwise the terrain features won't show up.

Keeping the waypoints database up to date is a never-ending chore, as some airstrips become unusable, etc.
Old April 10th 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Yep, but none of the places I fly are among them.

Old April 10th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 11:53:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Actually, TopHat does not even recommend Wi-Fi connection to transfer files.
The easiest and slickest way to go about uploading files is using a "Y" cable, external 5 V battery and a memory stick. Just upload all to the memory stick and vola...see link below;
http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20...%20cables.html
Old April 10th 18, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 1:36:26 PM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 11:53:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Actually, TopHat does not even recommend Wi-Fi connection to transfer files.
The easiest and slickest way to go about uploading files is using a "Y" cable, external 5 V battery and a memory stick. Just upload all to the memory stick and vola...see link below;
http://www.tophatsoaring.org/Kobo%20...%20cables.html

Just to clarify; this is Kobo specific, look at the video at the bottom of the page....
Old April 11th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks-
Matt

PM sent with New Castle .xcm map.

best,
Evan Ludeman / T8