An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

Old October 23rd 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default An opportunity for people from our demographic to contribute

Here is a way to do something about the impact of Covid-19 on Soaring.

COVID-19 Prevention Network (CoVPN) Volunteer Screening Registry is the way to connect volunteers to practical studies related Covid-19.

For example, volunteers, especially older volunteers are sorely needed for Phase III studies of vaccines. Signing up for the registry just lets researchers know that you're open to being asked to participate in a study.

If you're just curious, check out this video narrated by Harrison Ford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfc2..._source=Eloqua

Or go directly to
https://coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/ for the facts.

The bottleneck of recruiting participants is delaying the rollout of a vaccine, and you can do something about it.

Old October 23rd 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 9:34:32 AM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
Here is a way to do something about the impact of Covid-19 on Soaring.

COVID-19 Prevention Network (CoVPN) Volunteer Screening Registry is the way to connect volunteers to practical studies related Covid-19.

For example, volunteers, especially older volunteers are sorely needed for Phase III studies of vaccines. Signing up for the registry just lets researchers know that you're open to being asked to participate in a study.

If you're just curious, check out this video narrated by Harrison Ford. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfc2..._source=Eloqua

Or go directly to
https://coronaviruspreventionnetwork.org/ for the facts.

The bottleneck of recruiting participants is delaying the rollout of a vaccine, and you can do something about it.

FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.
Old October 23rd 20, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?

Old October 24th 20, 01:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 2:03:58 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?

Give the FAA a call and ask. Related question for RAS are clubs that require face diapers going to require a Covid vaccine when one is available? If not why not? And why not require flu shots for all members now? Flu risk is on par with Covid risk and the soaring crowd has a lot of people in the high risk for the flu category.
Old October 24th 20, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Gregg Ballou wrote on 10/24/2020 5:04 AM:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 2:03:58 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?

Give the FAA a call and ask. Related question for RAS are clubs that require face diapers going to require a Covid vaccine when one is available? If not why not? And why not require flu shots for all members now? Flu risk is on par with Covid risk and the soaring crowd has a lot of people in the high risk for the flu category.

Flu risk is far less than Covid-19 risk. From the CDC:

"There are some key differences between flu and COVID-19. COVID-19 seems to spread more easily
than flu and causes more serious illnesses in some people. It can also take longer before
people show symptoms and people can be contagious for longer. Another important difference is
there is a vaccine to protect against flu. There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19.
The best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to the virus. More information
about differences between flu and COVID-19 is available in the different sections below."

"During the 2019-2020 influenza season, CDC estimates that influenza was associated with 38
million illnesses, 18 million medical visits, 405,000 hospitalizations, and 22,000 deaths."
Note that the 2019-2020 flu season is over, but the C19 "season" has 3 more months to go, and
an estimate of 400,000 dead by then.

My wife and I know several people that have died from Covid-19 this year, but none that died
from the flu in the last 10 years. We will definitely be wearing masks, social distancing, and
avoiding large gatherings, even after vaccines are available, until the C-19 risk is comparable
to the flu.

Old October 24th 20, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

Just retired after 40 years in healthcare. This is not the flu.

A local critical care doc posted last week that he lost 3 Covid patients over the last week. He had lost 2 to the flu in 12 years.

Not the same ball game.

Viral transmission is all about viral load. How much you pick up all at the same time. That is what mask, and social distancing is all about. Decreasing the amount you get at once.

The other thing that these measures are for is slowing the spread, so your local hospital/ healthcare system is not overwhelmed, so there is still room for you when you have a heart attack, stroke, break a bone, need surgery, or get Covid. Our healthcare systems currently work at very close to capacity for multiple reasons.

Most of us have never seen a truly overwhelmed hospital or health care system. I have in Haiti 10 weeks after the earthquake. Saw a little girl with a head wound that was getting septic and got her and her mom in touch with one of the nuns to get her in the ER. Found out later at supper that she had been turned away. I cried like a baby at supper, and it still haunts me. She just needed some IV antibiotics for a couple of days. I am quite sure she died. She was turned away because there were already 3 sick children on each of the ER stretches. There was just not capacity for all the need. And when you say, that is just poor Haiti, and cannot happen in this country, you are frankly wrong. It Can happen in this country too if this gets bad enough. That is what healthcare workers that have some understanding of the system and the potential for this disease fear.

To keep it in soaring terms:

Viral load is like the amount of bugs that build up on your wing. Minimal, probably no effect, lots can have a big impact.

If you get a bad case it is about as different as a benign spiral and a spiral dive.

Kevin Anderson R.N., B.S.N., C.R.N.A.
92
Old October 24th 20, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?

Give the FAA a call and ask.

So you just made up what you posted about Medicals?
Old October 24th 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gregg Ballou: FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

There is no such FAA medical restriction for vaccine trial participants. To purposely attempt to derail an effort to save lives is horrific, IMO.
Old October 24th 20, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 12:18:49 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, October 23, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, Gregg Ballou wrote:

Can anyone cite an FAA source to confirm this assertion?

Give the FAA a call and ask.

So you just made up what you posted about Medicals?

No I did not make that up. If you don't believe me go get a medical and report participating in a Covid vaccine trial and see if you get issued.
Old October 24th 20, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou[_2_]

On Saturday, October 24, 2020 at 12:44:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Gregg Ballou: FYI participants in covid vaccine trials are not eligible to hold a FAA medical.

There is no such FAA medical restriction for vaccine trial participants. To purposely attempt to derail an effort to save lives is horrific, IMO.

Report participating in vaccine trials on a med application and you will be denied. The FAA is OK with approved vaccines, but not unproven medical trials for any reason.