18 Oct 2005 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News

Old October 19th 05, 02:19 AM
Otis Willie

Default 18 Oct 2005 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News

18 Oct 2005 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security
News

You can also receive this resource listing that is published
daily via
email by The American War Library. To subscribe go to
The Library’s phone number dot com (13105320634.com).
Select the ‘Daily Military News’ hyperlink found in the Index.

Military recruiting ads zero in on the parents Mom, dad urged to
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...18/RECRUIT.TMP

Media Advisory/Family Who Shares Military Tradition Featured on
http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/rele... ionFor=563231

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Conference Introduces Influential Civilians to Military
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2...1018_3077.html

Military Pay, Retiree Pay and Civilian Pay: What's the Difference?
http://www.fedsmith.com/headlineBounce.php?factor=4828

Anti-war military families meet with Romney over Iraq
http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ey_over_i raq

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Teams comb forests for military ordnance
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation..._Ordnance.html

Italy Shows Latest Military Equipments
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=1486

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

CBS Airs Photographs of Iraqi Prisoners Abused by US Military
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=527

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

State stops grants to military children for tuition program
http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...22/1006/news05

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

US Military To Cut Programs
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7000578073

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

S. Korean Military Launches Massive Search Operations for Possible
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=1164

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

America's Military Installations Threatened By Invasive Species
http://enn.com/aff.html?id=938

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Navies from six countries engage in military exercise in Brazil
http://internacional.radiobras.gov.b...mp;idio ma=IG

US Military Attacks Civilians as Votes are Counted
http://www.politicalaffairs.net/arti...ew/2038/1/126/

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Photonics Center set to develop military robots
http://www.dailyfreepress.com/news/2...-1024256.shtml

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Protect military from predatory lenders
http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005...1705192125.txt

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Legislation targets predatory lending to military
http://washingtontimes.com/national/...5420-9159r.htm

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Moroccan Fabricated Identity, Worked For US Military In Iraq For
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2005/1...nt_n_9043.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Georgia-Florida Run supports children of fallen military families
http://www.theweekly.com/news/2005/O...One_Voice.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Rolla schools join military child coalition
http://www.therolladailynews.com/art...0340924729.txt

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Photojournalist held by military
http://www.ifex.org/en/content/view/full/69829/

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Former Army chaplain tells of humiliation, jail and hope
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-4777507c.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

DoD Award Salutes Employers Who Support Guard, Reserve
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2...1017_3071.html

Rare map of POW camp joins restoration effort
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=50860

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Medal of Honor recipient just did duty
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...cle_719588.php

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Exhibition focuses on post-Vietnam War experiences
http://www.evliving.com/events.php?a...& id=3973

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

In Vietnam, War History through Political Lens
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=2027

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

The Trouble With Orange
http://www.cornellsun.com/vnews/disp.../43544f8aacca6

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Memories of Vietnam veterans
http://www.macombdaily.com/stories/1...orial001.shtml

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Marine Corps Athlete of the Year stands out in crowd
http://www.marines.mil/marinelink/mc...D?opendocument

Chief: Air Force Academy faces oversight
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...demy_Rosa.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Always the new kid
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...-4777525c.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Brat in the news: The Treasure, the Strongbox, and the Crowbar
http://www.motherjones.com/news/qa/2...juan_cole.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Another al-Qaeda group forms in Saudi Arabia
http://jamestown.org/terrorism/news/...icleid=2369805

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Suffering for Korean War service
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...401259037.html

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

The Real History of the Korean War by Jeremi Suri
http://english.chosun.com/w21data/ht...510180001.html

"Massacre in Korea" to Make Seoul Debut
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=480

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

A Winter Patriot: Reflection on the Movement
http://www.americanchronicle.com/art...articleID=3010

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Rumsfeld: China Sowing Suspicion Over Army

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

Veterans' Day ceremony canceled due to politics
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/12930771.htm

Veterans' benefits are not safe
http://www.opednews.com/articles/ope...benefits_a.htm

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

For Iraqi Women, Abu Ghraib's Taint
http://theseoultimes.com/ST/db/read.php?idx=588

U.S. and friendly nation laws prohibit fully
reproducing copyrighted material. In abidance
with our laws this report cannot be provided in
its entirety. However, you can read it in full
today at the supplied URL. The subject/content of
this report is not necessarily the viewpoint of
the distributing Library. This report is provided
for your information and discussion.

IRAQ: Women and children killed in US air strikes on Ramadi
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/news...e6eb532c14.htm

Sons of Iraq Vet to Leave Cuba for Visit

Japan to Extend Afghan Anti-Terror Mission

U.S. military personnel carry good luck to Yokosuka
http://www.estripes.com/article2.asp...&article=32319

NavNews for Monday, October 17, 2005

MCPON Visits TR, Answers Sailors' Questions --NNS051017-03.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20606

U.S. Navy Deploys More Helos, Personnel to Help Earthquake Victims in
Pakistan --NNS051017-01.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20608

Cole Crew Members Honor Fallen Heroes --NNS051016-06.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20587

USNI Sponors Sea Enterprise Essay Writing Contest --NNS051014-10.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20598

Navy Strengthens Relations with India During Port Visit
--NNS051017-04.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20610

Pentagon Sailors Celebrate Navy's 230th Birthday --NNS051016-05.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20595

Carl Vinson's Crew SCOOPs "Gold Eagle" --NNS051016-04.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20593

"Gold Eagle" Celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month --NNS051016-03.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20591

White House Remembers Sailors Killed in USS Cole Attack
--NNS051016-02.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20601

Enterprise Sails Again Following ESRA --NNS051016-01.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20597

Daily News Update for Oct. 17, 2005 --NNS051017-02.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...story_id=20618

This Day in Naval History - Oct. 18 --NNS020723-27.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/disp...?story_id=2749

Eye on the Fleet - U.S. Navy Photo of The Day --
http://www.navy.mil/list_single.asp?id=28935

Supreme Court to Hear Case on Military Recruiters' Access to Colleges
http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2...1017_3070.html

Welcome to today's U.S. Air Force Print News.

Today's stories include: Healthy children require proactive parents
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012133

Air Force continues Pakistan aid
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012144

Space Command presented first-ever missile badge
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012143

First F/A-22 deployment is for training
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012142

Air Force announces team-excellence awards
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012141

Antarctica Deep Freeze mission resumes
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012139

Air Force, small business specialists top Defense awards
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012138

Falcon's wake up at the right time
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012137

Officers, civilians selected for developmental education
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012136

General McNabb takes command of AMC
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012135

Airmen act quickly at accident scene
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012134

Edwards Talons test one-engine takeoffs
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012132

Air Force testing new transparent armor
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012131

Healthy children require proactive parents
http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123012133

Airmen Missing from World War II Identified
http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/...1018-4941.html

The War Veterans Directory, Free
http://members.aol.com/veterans/freedir.htm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...bhub=PrintStor
Study finds armed conflicts, genocide in decline
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1018/p01s01-wogi.htm

War deaths plunge as peace gets a chance
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ail/TopStories

Arbour fears growing threat to human rights The Associated Press

Chief: Air Force Academy Faces Oversight The Associated Press

Sons of Iraq Vet to Leave Cuba for Visit The Associated Press

Teams Comb Forests for Military Ordnance The Associated Press

Report Details Wildlife Invasions on Bases The Associated Press

FEMA Had Problems Before Katrina
http://www.fema.gov/graphics/about/what.gif

Graphic The Associated Press

Report Says IRA Inactive, Observing Peace The Associated Press

b=PrintStory
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ub=World&subhu
'Black Hawk Down' suspect arrested in Sweden The Associated Press
http://thechronicleherald.ca/World/459621.html

Remains of 482 Bosnian villagers found The Associated Press

Shooting Again Breaks Out in Russian Town The Associated Press

Annan Warns Eritrea U.N. May Pull Troops The Associated Press

Civilians Killed in Clashes, Sudan Says The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/stud.../18darfur.html

Chaos Grows in Darfur Conflict as Militias Turn on Government The
Associated Press

Lebanon Clamps Down on Palestinian Weapons The Christian Science
Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1018/p06s02-wome.htm

West Bank: the new militant focus? The Associated Press

Two U.S. Marines Killed in Western Iraq The Associated Press

A Look at U.S. Military Deaths in Iraq The Washington Post

Iraqis Say Airstrikes Kill Civilians The New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/stud...es/18iraq.html

Monitors in Iraq Review Votes Where 'Yes' Ballots Hit 90% The New York
Times
http://www.nytimes.com/learning/stud.../18saddam.html

Saddam Goes on Trial Tomorrow

Procedures for Saddam's Trial The Washington Post

Trial of Milosevic Holds Lessons for Iraqi Prosecutors The Washington
Post

Iraq's Premier Urges a Speedy Trial for Saddam The Christian Science
Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1018/p07s01-woiq.htm

Iraq's Kurds get moment of closure on eve of Saddam's trial The
Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1129585811352

New law just for Saddam Reuters News Agency

US troops kill 4 Afghan police by mistake The Associated Press

Japan to Extend Afghan Anti-Terror Mission The Associated Press

Military Helicopters Deliver Aid to Kashmir The Washington Post

To Help Pakistanis at Risk, Pilots Face Their Own Perils Reuters News
Agency

Pakistan quake relief accelerates, problems remain The Associated
Press

Kashmiris Believe Quake Can Bring Peace The Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1129585811372

Pakistan wary of India's offers of help The Associated Press

Indian Army Praised for Aiding Kashmiris The Christian Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1018/p07s02-wosc.htm

India's nuclear secrecy hampers earthquake detection The Christian
Science Monitor
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/1018/p01s03-woap.htm

China's secretive military The Associated Press

Rumsfeld: China Sowing Suspicion Over Army Reuters News Agency

Japan struggles to contain shrine visit fallout The Associated Press

Last Australian WWI Veteran Dies at 106

!-- End International News -- !-- Begin Obituaries -- "
align="center

b class="section
Obituaries The Ottawa Citizen
http://www.legacy.com/can-ottawa/Leg...nId=1531359 8

Major Robert J. Endicott has died aged 65 The Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1128289810987

Clifford George has died aged 85 The Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1127771419886

Don Adams has died aged 82
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9493390/prin...playmode/1098/

Colonel Frankie Boshell has died aged 84 The Times
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/printFr...903-45,00.html

Major-General Ghazi Kanaan has died aged 63 The Daily Telegraph
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/core/C.../14/db1401.xml

Group Captain Kenneth Smales has died aged 88 The Daily Telegraph
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/core/C.../13/db1302.xml

History The Canadian War Museum
http://www.warmuseum.ca/cwm/tih/xml/10-18-e.xml

On This Day in Canadian Military History Sympatico
http://www1.sympatico.ca/cgi-bin/on_...Oct&day=18

Today in Canadian History UK Defence Today
http://news.mod.uk/news_headline_sto...wsItem_id=2076
-- Otis Willie (Ret.)
Military News and Information Editor
The American War Library, Est. 1988
http://www.amervets.com
Or our phone number dot com (13105320634.com)
16907 Brighton Avenue
Gardena CA 90247
1-310-532-0634

Military Webmaster Site Link Request Form:
http://www.amervets.com/linkreq.htm

Military and Vet Info-Exchange/Discussion Groups
http://members.aol.com/warlibrary/share.htm