another design concept

Old August 4th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default another design concept

Just got this link from a buddy of mine.

http://www.lisa-airplanes.com/index-uk.php

Not sure I understand the "landing gear" concept!

Brad
Old August 4th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

It's Rhino-tastic!

Bob K.
Old August 4th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Brad wrote:
Just got this link from a buddy of mine.
Not sure I understand the "landing gear" concept!

Brad

I s'pect its a seaplane.

gots no wheels

Old August 4th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Aug 4, 11:03 am, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Brad wrote:
Just got this link from a buddy of mine.
Not sure I understand the "landing gear" concept!

Brad

I s'pect its a seaplane.

gots no wheels

It's an amphib, it DOES has wheels. They just fully retract and leave
the dolphin fins protruding (watch the video on the site). Pretty neat
looking new plane (although to me it kinda looks like an
aerodynamically cleaned up Icon A5 that was rearranged to pull instead
of push http://www.iconaircraft.com/news-gallery.html)

Wait a minute...this thing has Hydrogen on board...let the hating
begin!

-Paul
Old August 4th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Aug 4, 11:44*am, sisu1a wrote:
It's an amphib, it DOES has wheels. They just fully retract and leave
the dolphin fins protruding (watch the video on the site)...

Well, yeah. It also has no step. And whenever I see a fantastic new
amphib or seaplane design without a step, I wonder, "have these guys
ever actually had to unstick an airplane from water?" And too nearly
always, the answer is, no, they haven't.

Bob K.
Old August 4th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Aug 4, 12:22*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Aug 4, 11:44*am, sisu1a wrote:

It's an amphib, it DOES has wheels. They just fully retract and leave
the dolphin fins protruding (watch the video on the site)...

Well, yeah. It also has no step. And whenever I see a fantastic new
amphib or seaplane design without a step, I wonder, "have these guys
ever actually had to unstick an airplane from water?" And too nearly
always, the answer is, no, they haven't.

Bob K.

I suspect the hydrofoils lift the fuselage out of the water, removing
the need for a step. They did do testing with scale models, so it
might actually work.

Did you note that the canopy was equipped with a yaw string? One of
the benefits of sticking the engine behind you.

Mike
Old August 5th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 4, 10:17*am, Brad wrote:
Just got this link from a buddy of mine.

http://www.lisa-airplanes.com/index-uk.php

Not sure I understand the "landing gear" concept!

Brad

If you watch the video you'll see the concept airplane has retractable
gear with wheels and, according to commentary, also selectable snow
skis. The video also shows the airplane flying but, based on the
absence of any gear doors being visible, I'd assume that the flying
model is a fixed gear prototype.

I'd like to see video of the first water landing to see if the foils
work as intended.

Andy
Old August 5th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

....Uhhh, does anyone else think this plane looks an AWFUL lot like a
Seawind?

And if so, does anyone else realize how LONG and nasty the Seawind
development/certification process has been? And these guys want to
add foils and other complications on top of the structural and
aerodynamic concerns of a high-mounted engine on the tail? Oof!

I don't care what a concept or prototype version can do, if you're
aiming for a production aircraft... See the Adam Aircraft A700
problems, or any one of a number of other aircraft in recent years
that had great flying prototypes but utterly failed when it came to a
production run. Making a single flyable aircraft is a totally
_different_ challenge from making an aircraft that can be serially
manufactured. There are many (sometimes competing) complications when
you have to take manufacturing processes and labor into account!

--Noel

Old August 5th 08, 10:28 AM
bagmaker bagmaker is offline
Senior Member

Location: Melbourne Australia

[...]

The difference may well be that the Adam and the Seawind are produced by people in the land of litigation, USA.

It do look similar to a Seawind, thats fur shur!

Bagger
Old August 5th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Aug 5, 2:28*am, bagmaker
wrote:

The difference may well be that the Adam and the Seawind are produced
by people in the land of litigation, USA.

While I don't disagree with your statement, litigation has NOTHING to
do with the failure of those companies. Design problems do. Both
companies produced exellent concepts and prototype vehicles. But they
severely underestimated the design and manufacturing requirements of a
production vehicle. This led to serious delays and cost overruns as
they had to re-design the aircraft multiple times, and tweak their
production processes to get something that could actually be
manufactured in a reasonable manner.

Take care,

--Noel