Seat belt tags

Old March 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
dave

BTIZ wrote:
That is pretty much the size of it. FAR 91.205(b)(12) requires "An
approved safety belt..." Your A&P/IA can't justify installation of a
safety belt that he can *prove* is "approved." And toecutter is also
correct in his recollection that TSO tags on safety belts are
specifically mentioned as a step in a ramp check in the Airworthiness
Inspector's Handbook(8300.10).

What is he doing looking inside the airplane on a "ramp check"??.. last I
read, only thing that can be checked on the "ramp", is my pilot certificate
in my possession and my medical. (Part 91, not 135 or 121) and he gets to
see my certificate, but not handle it.

He has no authority to look in the aircraft other than through the windows.
And any paper work on the aircraft he wants to see can be done by
appointment at the local FSDO nearest my home.

BT

Good Answer!!

Old March 2nd 04, 03:33 AM

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 21:18:31 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

snip

What is he doing looking inside the airplane on a "ramp check"??.. last I
read, only thing that can be checked on the "ramp", is my pilot certificate
in my possession and my medical. (Part 91, not 135 or 121) and he gets to
see my certificate, but not handle it.

Not sure what you read. Depending on the level of "surveillance" he
deems necessary, he/she can to see just about anything directly
pertaining to operations under 91. There are only a few additional
items that might be requested for 135 ops.

He has no authority to look in the aircraft other than through the windows.
And any paper work on the aircraft he wants to see can be done by
appointment at the local FSDO nearest my home.

"He has no authority to look in the aircraft" without your permission.
He also has no authority to delay you in going about your business.

TC

Old March 2nd 04, 12:11 PM
Dennis O'Connor

The two times in the past that I have been 'ramped' I have said no, and
simply walked away...
Happened again the summer after 9/11 at my home field... I pulled the plane
out, closed my hangar door, got in the plane and ran my prestart list... As
I looked up to clear the port prop before hitting the starter here comes
this guy trotting across the ramp waving at me... I am half suspicious of
who he is, and I see no reason to stop, so I wave back, smile, and proceed
to start the engines... He stands there with his hands on his hips as I
taxi out...
Later, I asked the airport manager who that ding dong was...
FAA, he replies... Wanted to ramp check you and he was ****ed when he came
back inside... As you were taking off a canadian registered business jet
came in... He got even by doing a rectal check on those pilots that would
have made a proctologist proud... He had their documents spread out on the
table for 40 minutes....

Ahh yes, I feel so much safer now that those terrorist canadian pilots were
properly sodomized...

denny

Old March 9th 04, 04:36 AM
Dave Stadt

news
wrote:

[...]

I don't know where you picked up on this urban legend, but if you want
to enter the real world of aviation, I suggest you get FAA Order
8100.3 (The Airworthiness Inspector's Handbook) and read it.

Popular hangar myths notwithstanding, this is the ASI's Bible.....

You might want to read it yourself. The FAA ramp rat has no authority to
enter the airplane unless given permission by the owner/operator. Nor can
they delay your departure.

Old March 9th 04, 04:51 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Gene Kearns wrote:

Popular hangar myths notwithstanding, this is the ASI's Bible.....

Maybe, but nobody has the right to enter an aircraft without either the owner's
permission or a search warrant.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 14th 04, 01:31 PM
Paul Millner

I know of cases where the ASI called ahead to the point of destination to
make sure he had a crony there to inspect the A/C

You mean he told him where he really intended to fly, and not the
destination that got changed "in flight"? How careless!

Paul

Old March 14th 04, 04:27 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gene Kearns wrote:

I know of cases where the ASI
called ahead to the point of destination to make sure he had a crony
there to inspect the A/C and not "inconvenience" the owner by delaying
his departure.

Then *that* inspector is going to have to get a search warrant.

Old March 15th 04, 04:29 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Gene Kearns wrote:

If not, what's the point? Procrastination doesn't last forever.

The point is that he has to get a warrant to get in my plane. If he does so,
that's fine, but he will HAVE to do that. It NEVER pays to allow bureaucrats to
exceed what is allowed under law. If you do, they begin to regard it as a right.
And it's not "procrastination". That inspector has to abide by the law, as do I.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.

Airliner Seats ... smjmitchell General Aviation 6 September 26th 04 10:00 PM
Seat Belt Extenders M.E. Borner Owning 4 October 3rd 03 01:55 PM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
Seat Belt Age? BD5ER Home Built 2 July 7th 03 12:10 AM