Changing Logbooks

Old April 11th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Changing Logbooks

"Peter R." wrote in message
Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and
late
start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual
ink.
I am only speaking for myself, mind you, and I certainly respect and
admire
those of you who agree with the quoted text above.

--
Peter

I fill mine out in the log book, but I've also done up my own spreadsheet on
the pc that automatically totals up each column. I've even put in an extra
column that allows me to put in how much cash I spent on that flight. (Rent,
Club Fees etc.) This way I can also see how broke aviation is keeping me.
I've actually just reached a milestone! I've filled in 1 whole page in my
first logbook! LOL!
Oz Lander

Old April 11th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and late
start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual ink.

Oh, pshaw. Just because your age is the answer to the universe won't
prevent you from acquiring a taste for parchment. Besides, you're young
- it will take you six more years before you're thirty.

(hex.)

I suppose if you haven't been flying much, you don't =yet= have a
logbook that holds all these memories, but if you start now, you =will=
amass such a tome, and in your "old age" it will bring you great
satisfaction.

Besides, you can read it when the GPS goes TU.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 12th 07, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Jose wrote:

Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

I look at another angle of electronic logbooks.

I have many old photos and documents. I've lost at least twice as many
digital pictures and documents. A few years ago, my wife bought me an
1890's New Haven Railroad locomotive engineer's diary at an antique
shop. I doubt anything that I store in digital format will ever be
"found" in the future.
Old April 12th 07, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Apr 12, 7:37 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Jose wrote:

Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

I look at another angle of electronic logbooks.

I have many old photos and documents. I've lost at least twice as many
digital pictures and documents. A few years ago, my wife bought me an
1890's New Haven Railroad locomotive engineer's diary at an antique
shop. I doubt anything that I store in digital format will ever be
"found" in the future.

When I was a kid we lost everything in a terrorist attack. There is
not a single family photo left. Now I don't keep anything important on
paper. All my stuff is electronic and is archived offsite. It is
cheaper too because it takes no storage space. I have also learned not
to be a pack rat. It is better to store memory in your head than on
paper.

Old April 11th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
Someday I might even get around to printing the majority of the log on
logbook sized paper for convenient glances.

--
Peter

Not wanting to hijack the thread. Quick message to Peter R. The natives are
out searching for you over in agmfs mate.
Crash Lander

Old April 11th 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/10/2007 9:10:30 PM, "Crash Lander" wrote:

Not wanting to hijack the thread. Quick message to Peter R. The natives
are out searching for you over in agmfs mate.

Hey, Crash! Thanks for that. I have taken a temporary break if for no other
reason than I have found myself with absolutely nothing to add there these
last few months. Couple that with being a bit time-constrained and it seemed
that a break was inevitable. I'll most likely be back once I wise up.

--
Peter
Old April 11th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ben Jackson

On 2007-04-10, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it

Instead of scanning it, take pictures of the pages with any modern
digital camera. With the right setup, it's a lot faster, and perfectly
legible.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 11th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
in a safe place.

40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
tape drive or a punch card reader?)

Matt Roberds

Old April 11th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

wrote in message
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
in a safe place.

40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
tape drive or a punch card reader?)

Matt Roberds

I recently threw out the 8 in ch floppy backups of the old system. I think
they were IBM System 36. I've still got a pile of 5 1/4 floppies, and some
Colorado Jumbo tapes.

Old April 11th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

wrote in message
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
in a safe place.

40 years from now, I'll walk up to you and hand you photocopies of a log
book and a CD-R with scans of the same log book. Which one will you be
able to read? (Put another way, does your PC have an open-reel 9-track
tape drive or a punch card reader?)

I think that's the main point. So much has been written, warning of the
shelf live of CDs, that I would be afraid to trust them.

Electronic Logbooks daniel.bascomb Piloting 19 December 21st 06 08:42 PM
Falsified logbooks? Close to home... Dave S Owning 1 April 6th 06 10:40 PM
Logbooks? der flieger Products 0 April 13th 05 02:44 PM
best online or software based private pilot logbooks der flieger Products 0 April 13th 05 02:43 PM
NR abbreviation in logbooks Jeremy Lew Piloting 11 November 19th 03 03:46 PM