Avgas in France has reached $7.50/gal !

Old April 25th 05, 10:36 PM
Matt Whiting

Dylan Smith wrote:

In article , Matt Whiting wrote:

Yeah, then you'll complain that nobody listens to you :~)

I don't mind if the net nannies don't listen! :-)

Netiquette isn't about net nannies. It's like saying 'please', 'thank
you' and not letting doors slam in the faces of people following you.
Trimming quoted material is netiquette - the manners of Usenet (and
other online forums). It is the equivalent of holding open the door for
the person after you in real life; politeness.

Maybe one day it'll no longer be September 1993.

If the net nanny had made a polite request, I might have responded
differently. I don't recall exactly, but it seems the comment was
something like "You too, Matt." Not exactly a polite request.

Matt
Old April 25th 05, 10:52 PM
Morgans

"Dylan Smith" wrote

Rotax aren't a bad engine manufacturers - you've gotta remember a lot of
their output is inherently less reliable 2-strokes.

So lots of people say. Nevertheless, you'll not catch me flying behind one,
anywhere except the plains, or the water with floats.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 25th 05, 10:55 PM
Morgans

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Matt Whiting wrote:
Yeah, then you'll complain that nobody listens to you :~)

I don't mind if the net nannies don't listen! :-)

Netiquette isn't about net nannies. It's like saying 'please', 'thank
you' and not letting doors slam in the faces of people following you.
Trimming quoted material is netiquette -

Right. Someone needs to tell the "rude" to shape up. Then they call you a
net nanny, for stating the obvious.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 25th 05, 11:17 PM
Dave Stadt

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Dave Stadt

wrote:
I have time in a Nanching (sp). It is an excellent airplane, solid

airframe
and bullet proof engine. I don't see a problem as long as they don't

use
Rotax engines.

I think the new Diamonds (DA-40 etc) use either the diesel or a Lycoming
O-360 (rated at 180hp).

Rotax aren't a bad engine manufacturers - you've gotta remember a lot of
their output is inherently less reliable 2-strokes.

The small 4cyl 4stroke fitted to the original Katana I think got a bad
rap mainly because there weren't many mainstream Lyco-Conti mechanics
who were familiar with it. We don't have a similar problem with the
Rotax 91* series engines here where they are more common (indeed, I've
flown behind the turbocharged 914S, and it's a very nice engine making
sea level power up to around 18000 feet, with automatic turbo and
mixture control).

They dumped the Rotax because customer support is for the most part
non-existant. People aren't going to buy production airplanes that they
cannot get engine parts for. Rotax 4 strokes are somewhat better than the 2
strokes but certainly not what they should be. Homebuilders seem to like
them because they get to work on them a lot.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old April 26th 05, 02:17 AM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
. ..

They dumped the Rotax because customer support is for the most part
non-existant. People aren't going to buy production airplanes that they
cannot get engine parts for. Rotax 4 strokes are somewhat better than the

2
strokes but certainly not what they should be. Homebuilders seem to like
them because they get to work on them a lot.

That's like marrying a virgin -- they have no baseline to compare!

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 26th 05, 11:12 AM
Dylan Smith

In article 8GUae.17388$NU4.3706@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
b) Political correctness, dictated by umpteen zillion stupid lawsuits over
the years, dictates that the TSA must frisk EVERYONE, even though any idiot
knows that a 93 year old woman in a wheelchair is probably not a security
risk. It's a sign of the times, not of the TSA.

Actually - if you want your security to work then you *cannot* profile.
It's not a case of political correctness. If you only frisk brown
people, soon the terrorists will find non-brown extremists to perpetrate
attacks. If you only frisk people who bought last minute one way tickets
over the Internet, the terrorists will start gettin their tickets from a
traditional travel agents, pay by cheque and buy a return ticket.

Even so, the airport security the US has now is window-dressing - the
only things that have actually increased security is a locked flight
deck door policy and the fact that the passengers will now take out any
would-be hijacker instead of going quietly (witness what happened with
the attempted shoe bombing).

In Britain, our airport security isn't anywhere near as onerous and
intrusive, yet we've not had any attacks-by-airliner since Sept.11, and
Britain is hated every bit as much by the terrorists. (We can even carry
nail clippers and knitting needles on airliners now, yay us).

Old April 26th 05, 11:26 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
companies ploughed vast amounts of money into 3G licenses which were ALL
to do with the dot.com bubble)

They did so under the orders of the FCC. (See first article below).

Not here they didn't - they did it to themselves - the mad scramble for
3G licenses sold by auction pushed the value way above what they were
worth as the telecoms companies scrambled blindly to get on the 3G
bandwagon. To date, there is only one major 3G network (called 3) which
is notable for being awful (it doesn't give you real internet access,
merely a walled garden of their own approved content). Not surprisingly,
3 has moved to selling their service on cheap voice calls. Hardly the
promise of 3G. I think another mobile provider has recently started
rolling out 3G, years after they scrambled to get on the bandwagon that
was as insubstantial as the hard vacuum of space.

There is one telecom company that has continuously turned a profit. Manx
Telecom. But they are a monopoly, and if times are tough they just
ratchet up their charges a bit because they don't need to care about
competition (and to make it seem as if they are offering 'value' and are
not a monopoly, price their less popular services dirt cheap so they can
crow in their advertising how calls to Outer Timbuktoo are half the
price with them compared to a UK carrier). Whilst the rest of the telecom
industry has been in the doldrums, they have been making profit rates
well over 30%.

Old April 26th 05, 11:31 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Many Europeans tell us we should drive microcars, but they have no
comprehension of just how big and spread out the US is.

Hardly, it's quite possible to make a mid or fullsize diesel car very
economical on fuel. That's why I specifically metioned my Dad's Pug - a
decent sized station wagon that lasted over 350,000 miles (easily up to
the distance), did 40+ MPG all day long, and big enough to throw
building supplies in the back and tow a 1 tonne caravan (travel trailer)
with a racing sidecar outfit. Modern turbo diesels make GREAT all purpose
cars and they can be economical without being 'micro cars'. A turbo
diesel also runs great in the mountains. I've driven a VW TDi over the
Rockies, and its performance was indistinguishable from at sea level.

Old April 26th 05, 11:41 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Speeds are generally much higher in Europe than the western US.

Have you ever driven the western US?

Yes. In a Volkswagen TDi in fact. However, I generally preferred to fly
over the western US in my C140.

Speed limit is generally 75 and that's
ususally scoffed at. What are speed limits in the rest of Europe other than
the autobahn?

Right-o. That's why when I was doing 80 in the Jetta through Colorado
and Utah I was passing practically everything. The prevailing speed of
motorway traffic in Britain is generally 80mph (even though the limit is 70).
In France, I think the autoroutes have a speed limit of 130km/h which is
80mph - faster than your freeways out west - and having driven in
France, I know the French pay little attention to that speed limit (or
many other good principles of road safety!)

Additionally, take the range of a Volkswagen Jetta TDi - it'll get
around 700 miles off a tank of diesel. It will also give good power in
the mountains, I have friends in Utah who love their TDi. My Dad's last
diesel, a Peugeot, lasted over 350,000 miles.

Americans just don't like diesels. They're better than the junk that came
out 20-25 years ago, but they still sell abysmally other than in the bigger
pickup trucks.

I know that - but that doesn't mean that diesels AREN'T good now and
AREN'T up to the job because they most certianly are. A modern turbo
diesel car is as comfortable as a gasoline driven one, just as fast and
often has way better endurance and often has an engine which will last
much longer on less maintenance. Just because Americans in general
haven't considered a diesel car doesn't some how mean the modern
turbo diesel can't cope with distances or speeds out west - on the
distance they are unarguably BETTER than gasoline cars - the range on a
tank of fuel is often 50 to 100% greater than the equivalent gasoline
car, the engines generally are much stronger and last longer,
and the speed is just as good.

Old April 26th 05, 11:42 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Matt Barrow wrote:
Must have raised them 'cause when I was there (mid 70's and again in the
early 80s) they topped out about 60.

In Britain, the speed limit has never been that low. All dual
carriageways ('divided highways') have a default speed limit of 70mph.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Soaring near Paris, France (Not Texas :-) [email protected] Soaring 17 November 13th 04 07:39 PM
News from France HECTOP Piloting 12 April 1st 04 01:16 AM
Russia joins France and Germany captain! Military Aviation 12 September 9th 03 09:56 AM
France Bans the Term 'E-Mail' bsh Military Aviation 38 July 26th 03 03:18 PM
"France downplays jet swap with Russia" Mike Military Aviation 8 July 21st 03 05:46 AM