Remember the Arrow

Old August 28th 04, 07:43 AM
onsitewelding

Default Remember the Arrow

I was just wondering if any pilots on this newsgroup ever saw in person or
remember Canadas Avro Arrow that was built in the late 50's. My father grew
up in the milton area and was getting or had his ppl at the time and he told
me few stories about the plane.

It seems a shame that this project was cancelled before it was really even
able to prove itself, and to have all prototypes destroyed. I would have
loved to have seen a truly Canadian designed and built Fighter/Interceptor
flying in our airspace and/or to be able to visit a canadian aviation museum
and see one.

I have heard that the arrow was so advanced for it's day that the F/A-18 is
the only modern jet fighter that is able to match many of the arrows
capabilities.

Old August 28th 04, 09:32 AM
Peter Duniho

"onsitewelding" wrote in message
I was just wondering if any pilots on this newsgroup ever saw in person or
remember Canadas Avro Arrow that was built in the late 50's.

I don't remember it firsthand, no...too young. But Air & Space Magazine did
what I thought was a very good story on it a few years back. First I'd ever
heard of it, reading that story.

Old August 28th 04, 03:02 PM
jay somerset

Google 'AVRO arrow' and you will find lots of stuff. there was also a
movie made -- good in parts, very politically biased in others.

Old August 28th 04, 03:50 PM
Icebound

[...]

Do a google search on "Avro Arrow" and you will find out all about it...
even the conspiracy theories of how the USA were jealous of our innovative
superiority of that time, and coerced the Canadian government into
cancelling the project, and destroying the prototypes:

Only one example:
http://www.fact-index.com/a/av/avro_arrow.html

There was an effort recently to find and recover development models which
were launched over Lake Ontario, but it came to naught:

http://www.avroarrow.org/

--
*** A great civilization is not conquered from without until it
has destroyed itself from within. ***

Old August 28th 04, 06:47 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Icebound" said:
Do a google search on "Avro Arrow" and you will find out all about it...
even the conspiracy theories of how the USA were jealous of our innovative
superiority of that time, and coerced the Canadian government into
cancelling the project, and destroying the prototypes:

The only problem with that theory was that the US government was actually
subsidizing the development of it, just like they'd helped Belgium and
(damn, I forgot the other country) buy Avro CF-100 Clunks. The US project
that was going to use the advanced Sparrow was cancelled, but they kept up
the development and were going to give it to Canada for use on the Arrow
for free.

The Arrow was a beautiful and very advanced bird, but it was a fast
interceptor and they stopped building fast interceptors when they realized
that the real Soviet threat was ballistic missiles, not Tu-4s. I'm not
sure what Avro would have come up with next after the Arrow, but I suspect
that cause of Canadian aviation would have been better served if they'd
been allowed to continue development of the Avro Jetliner instead of the
Arrow.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I'm not going to be a place that allows viruses to go unpunished. Anything
Old August 28th 04, 04:40 PM
steve

If the canadian government had kept up the arrow program, AVRO Canada would
probably be todays leading aerospace firm.