It was really close...

Old May 13th 05, 01:34 PM
Jay Masino

Jay Honeck wrote:
We have restricted areas over our seat of government for very clear and
well-defined reasons, snip

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No we don't.

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old May 13th 05, 01:53 PM
Sport Pilot

The plane was already 15 miles in a 30 mile zone when the F 16 took off
and was only 3 miles out when intercepted. If this was a terrorist
piloted airliner from Reagan National, takeing a northbound left turn
instead of right. The WH or capitol would be toast.

Old May 13th 05, 01:55 PM
Sport Pilot

John Gaquin wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Officials Weighed Shooting at Errant Plane
By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer 37 minutes ago

As a wayward Cessna

What really amazes me is that there will apparently be no certificate

action
taken against these two nimrods. Not only did they barge right into
probably the best known restricted/prohibited airspace in the world,

but,
according to one of the scrambled F16 pilots, they continued on this

errant
course for several minutes while the interceptors were crossing paths

and
ejecting flares. What in God's name did they think was going on?

Just how
stupid do you have to be?

Maybe they were told the wrong vector by controllers. Or maybe they
were Homeland Security agents to test the system? Just kidding.

Old May 13th 05, 02:02 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

We have restricted areas over our seat of government for very clear and
well-defined reasons,

And what would those be?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 13th 05, 02:31 PM
Alan

I'm kind of tired of the Nazi card being continuously played by those
who disagree with the Patriot Act, George Bush and the government in
general. Read your history, what we have in the here and now in
this country bears no resemblance to Nazi Germany. Or, for Wilsonian
America from 1917-1919 during WWI. This Democrat President
implemented draconian policies and curbs on speech and liberty that
went far beyond anything the current Republican administration is
doing. Prison sentences of over 10 years were handed out for
publicly opposing the US entry into the war.

Not just the USA but the history of the human race has a record of
over-responding to threats or danger. Another Democrat put American
citizens of Japanese descent into concentration camps. The Chinese
kind of over did it on a wall. Lincoln suspended habeas corpus among
other things. Even the human body's immune system over reacts when
faced with invaders.

I'm not worried about school children crossing a line in a playground
and getting arrested for sedition. I'm more concerned about
clue-less pilots who either operate in a vacuum or are two
stupid/arrogant to check the airspace and plan accordingly. That kind
of behavior will trigger an over reaction to general aviation that
affects us all.

So stop telling me we have become Nazi Germany and that Bush is
Hitler. It does a real disservice to the millions who perished
opposing the real thing.

Alan Bloom
Dogs can Fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

On 13 May 2005 04:18:29 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews. and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.

************************************************* ******************************
Now they are willing to kill people who get lost and cross invisible
lines in the sky so that the powerful and the politically connected can
feel safe... Will they next start shooting our children because they
ride their bikes across an invisible line on the ground?

The Patriot Act, is not...

denny

Old May 13th 05, 02:46 PM
Jose

We have restricted areas over our seat of government for very clear and
well-defined reasons, and every certificated pilot knows it.

No, these reasons are neither good, nor clear, nor well defined.

Jose
Old May 13th 05, 03:37 PM

Jose wrote:
We have restricted areas over our seat of government for very clear

and
well-defined reasons, and every certificated pilot knows it.

No, these reasons are neither good, nor clear, nor well defined.

1. There are terrorist groups that wish to carry out attacks in the
domestic US.
2. Government buildings in DC are likely to be preferred targets of
such attacks.
3. Light aircraft are a possible means of delivering a weapon of some
kind.

Which of these three propositions would you disagree with?

Yes, I agree a U-Haul looks like a far better delivery system, but a
piston GA plane is not out of the question. The bomb used in the first
WTC attack was 1,100 pounds, which is inside the envelope of a 206 to
name just one.

I don't know what they're doing to restrict trucks from getting close
enough, and a 5000# fertilizer bomb probably doesn't need to get too
close to leave a mark. Heck, I'd assume they're not doing enough. I
would also say that intercepting a 206 in mid-air is the least
efficient way to deal with that threat profile, but it would seem to be
pretty foolish to ignore it, especially considering that it has been
done before.

http://avstop.com/news/CessnaSingleEngine.html

Best,
-cwk.

Old May 13th 05, 03:44 PM
Marco Leon

Not so sure. Remember that guy in the Mooney that flew over LaGuardia
airport, down the East River in New York City, finally told on the radio of
his error, then decides to take a little spin around the Statue of Liberty
for some sightseeing while a helicopter was awaiting a few miles south to
escort him?

Well, he's still flying and was flying within a week after this happened.
Unless someone knows something specific my anecdotal evidence shows that a
front-page news grabber screw-up does not guarantee certificate action.

Marco

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What really amazes me is that there will apparently be no certificate
action taken against these two nimrods.

Why do you say that?

I would expect at least a suspension.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 13th 05, 04:00 PM
Thomas Borchert

Alan,

Read your history, what we have in the here and now in
this country bears no resemblance to Nazi Germany.

Not in all aspects by a long shot. But it is not every country that
starts a war of aggression...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Close call with engine failure in IMC G. Sylvester Instrument Flight Rules 12 March 16th 05 05:57 AM
Comming close Tony Owning 17 May 18th 04 06:22 AM
RAF Boulmer (England) to close Peter Ure Naval Aviation 0 April 29th 04 05:02 AM
D.A.: Pilot flew close to airliner John R Piloting 8 February 3rd 04 11:03 AM
Veteran fighter pilots try to help close training gap Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 2nd 03 10:09 PM