2007 Soaring Contest In Albert Lea Minnesota

Old January 12th 07, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default 2007 Soaring Contest In Albert Lea Minnesota

Hi

Cumulus Soaring, Inc. and a group of Minnesota area glider pilots are
hosting the 2007 Albert Lea Soaring Contest this spring. This is going to
be the biggest and best soaring contest ever held in Minnesota. It includes
the Open Class and 18 m Nationals and Region 7 Contest. Details are
available he
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/contest.htm

This is going to be a very fun contest with many beautiful sailplanes and
some of the world's best soaring contest pilots. The contest committee has
not yet set a hard limit on the maximum number of competitors we'll allow,
but we are thinking that 60 will probably be the cut-off point. We are
approaching that rapidly. There are already 45 competitors signed-up for
the contest. You can see the list of probably competitors he
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/contest-competitors.htm

Many pilots have already registered and sent in their $100. I appreciate
it. They are guaranteed a spot in the contest.

Those of you that have not registered but are planning to compete should do
so very soon or you may not be able to compete. The $100 deposit and online
registration are required to hold your spot. You can register he
http://www.ssa.org/members/contestre...steronline.asp

Please send the $100 deposit (made out to Cumulus Soaring, Inc.) to the
address shown on the bottom of the web site.

It will be fun to see all the long winged open class ships and the many
other beautiful gliders - ranging from ASW-22s and Antares electric
self-launching gliders to KA-6e and Cherokee II gliders. The launch grid
will be a feast for the eyes. It will also be fun to hang out with some of
the worlds best contest glider pilots such as Doug Jacobs, Gary Ittner, Ron
Tabery, John Cochrane, and many more. It will be exciting watching them and
all the other excellent pilots battle for the top positions as the contests
progress.

Volunteers
This is a very long (12 days) contest. We are desperately in need of good
volunteers. Volunteers do NOT need to be there to help out for the entire
contest. I can sincerely promise that it will be fun for everyone. We have
many fun dinners and other events planned and it is just plain fun hanging
out with and learning from great soaring pilots. Volunteers will help with
launching gliders, manning retrieve phones, running the office, retrieving
gliders that land out, helping drink the beer and wine, watching the camp
fires, etc.

Scorer
One volunteer position that we are desperate to fill is that of Scorer. We
had a couple of potentials lined-up but they can only be available for the
weekends. Please help me find someone that is good with computers and is a
glider pilot. The ideal candidate would be good at downloading flight logs
from loggers and be familiar with contest rules, and can bring a PC along -
but anyone that is a glider pilot will do. We hope to get several people to
do the job so the person would not necessarily need to be here for the
entire contest. The scorer basically copies flight log files onto a PC and
then uses scoring software to calculate and print the scores. Every pilot
brings their flight logs to the scorer (hopefully on a memory card) every
day, so it is a chance to get to know all the pilots. I have done it in the
past. I can help from a technical standpoint this year, but as Contest
Manager I will be busy with other tasks. Please have potential volunteers
contact me. Or give me their contact data and I'll contact them. I will
pay for the person's motel room (probably shared with one other person), or
he/she could stay with a contest pilot, or camp on the airport.

Dick Andrews has agreed to be the Volunteer coordinator for the contest.
Please contact him at and copy me at if you
are interested in helping out at the contest.

I hope you can join us for the fun - either as a competitor or volunteer.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

Old January 12th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul has an excellent point folks, the Albert Lea contest is going to
be one to remember. Im spending the winter waxing down the Cherokee
with hopes of sweeping the Sports Class. DG-1000? huh?

Ok, just kidding, but it will be fun and I cant wait to race my crew
around southern minnesota.

Old January 16th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

I must make an update to the announcement below. I had stated that you
should register early as the available slots may fill up. That is still
correct - sort of. However, I had stated that the available slots would be
filled by the first pilots to register and send in the $100 deposit. That
is not correct. This is the first time that an Albert Lea soaring contest
may be over-subscribed, so I am learning more about how the rules handle
this situation. If the contest is over-subscribed we will follow the SSA
Contest rules to select which pilots will be in the contests. The rules
state that all entries received 60 days prior to the first contest day
(March 30th) will be eligible and that pilot rankings will be used to select
those that get in. I hope that doesn't happen as I'd hate to see new
contest pilots signed-up for the Region 7 Contest get bumped. Hopefully we
will not need to cross that bridge. All registrations received after that
date will be taken on a first come-first served basis. So be sure to
register before March 30th. The contest committee will sort out who gets
into the contest after that date. Hopefully everyone will, but I can't make
any promises.

Old January 16th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

If the contest is over-subscribed we will follow the SSA
Contest rules to select which pilots will be in the contests. The rules
state that all entries received 60 days prior to the first contest day
(March 30th) will be eligible and that pilot rankings will be used to select
those that get in. I hope that doesn't happen as I'd hate to see new
contest pilots signed-up for the Region 7 Contest get bumped.

Actually, as the rules currently work it's the "old" (opposite of new)
pilots who might not get in, or, at the organizer's discretion, the
middle ones. From regional sports class rules:

5.2.2 † Preference number
5.2.2.1 ‡ † Inverted preference applies: an
applicant's preference number is 100 minus the Pilot Ranking score of
Rule 5.2.1. In the case of a team entry, the least favorable Pilot
Ranking score of any team member is used.
5.2.2.2 † But contest organizers may limit (on the
Application for Sanction form) the entry slots to which inverted
preference applies to a number not less than five; for other entry
slots, the preference number is the Pilot Ranking score.
5.2.3 The Preferential Entry Deadline is 60 days prior to the
first scheduled competition day.
5.2.4 † Applications received no later than the
Preferential Entry Deadline are ranked in the following order, without
regard to entry class:
· † Pilots residing within the region, by preference
number (and in case of ties, by date of application).
· † Pilots residing outside the region, by
preference number (and in case of ties, by date of application).

What does this all mean? If Paul and co. do nothing, the first people
who get in are region 7 pilots, in inverse seeding order, i.e. the last
shall be first. Then come out of region 7 pilots, again in reverse
order.

However, Paul can change this, so that only the first x slots go in
reverse order, then slots go in normal order, again first from within
the region and then from outside.

In any case, this only applies to entries received by the
deadline....Hmm, I'd better go get my checkbook.

John Cochrane BB

Old January 17th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I guess I better get mine too. And pray that it doesnt overbook. How
is one to get a pilot ranking when one cant compete. quite the catch
22....

BB wrote:
If the contest is over-subscribed we will follow the SSA
Contest rules to select which pilots will be in the contests. The rules
state that all entries received 60 days prior to the first contest day
(March 30th) will be eligible and that pilot rankings will be used to select
those that get in. I hope that doesn't happen as I'd hate to see new
contest pilots signed-up for the Region 7 Contest get bumped.

Actually, as the rules currently work it's the "old" (opposite of new)
pilots who might not get in, or, at the organizer's discretion, the
middle ones. From regional sports class rules:

5.2.2 â€* Preference number
5.2.2.1 ‡ â€* Inverted preference applies: an
applicant's preference number is 100 minus the Pilot Ranking score of
Rule 5.2.1. In the case of a team entry, the least favorable Pilot
Ranking score of any team member is used.
5.2.2.2 â€* But contest organizers may limit (on the
Application for Sanction form) the entry slots to which inverted
preference applies to a number not less than five; for other entry
slots, the preference number is the Pilot Ranking score.
5.2.3 The Preferential Entry Deadline is 60 days prior to the
first scheduled competition day.
5.2.4 â€* Applications received no later than the
Preferential Entry Deadline are ranked in the following order, without
regard to entry class:
· â€* Pilots residing within the region, by preference
number (and in case of ties, by date of application).
· â€* Pilots residing outside the region, by