Type of glue

Old April 5th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jeplane

Default Type of glue

I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

Old April 5th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 4, 4:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

I did this recently after a repair to the bottom of the fuselage. I
used DAP brand Weldwood Contact Cement (Home Depot). Several coats,
drying 24 hrs between, then a coat on each surface, wait 10-15
minutes, and bond them. I used the supplied nylon (noisy as hell)
wheel for a couple months before going to a roller blade wheel. My
thought was that the nylon wheel would likely produce less side
be less than a month, but the noisy tail wheel annoyed a club member
enough that I kept it for quite a while. Now my plane rolls quietly.
I kinda' miss that noise (NOT!)

Jim

Old April 5th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 4, 4:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

DAP Weldwood Contact Cement, available at Home Depot. If you've a new
skid,and it came with that stuff that looks like the no-slip stuff
they put on stairs on it, you'll need several coats of cement to fill
in that texture enough to get a good bond.

Old April 5th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Apr 4, 6:32 pm, wrote:
used DAP brand Weldwood Contact Cement (Home Depot). Several coats,
drying 24 hrs between, then a coat on each surface, wait 10-15
minutes, and bond them. I used the supplied nylon (noisy as hell)
wheel for a couple months before going to a roller blade wheel. My
thought was that the nylon wheel would likely produce less side

One advantage of the skid versus a wheel, is the skid provides some
protection in case of a ground loop by shearing off when it hits an
obstacle. Once gone, the fuselage is free to continue around without
breaking. So this attachment should not be "too good".

Back in the 1970's, most sailplanes had these skids, and what I saw
was just a pretty much typical contact cement procedure that took
20-30 minutes waiting for it to set.

-Tom

Old April 5th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

"jeplane" wrote in message
ups.com...
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

I had one of these on a ASW20B. At first I used wing tape, layered, but it
was never satisfactory--didn't stick well to the rubber skid.
Finally, I realized that the skid was separating from the fuselage in front.
I removed the skid, cleaned, reglued with Weldwood contact
cement--(non-water based). Applied one coat to each side, dried about 30
min, new coat of glue to one side, and pressed in place. Held with ductape
temporarily for 30 min or so. Removed ductape and taped the joint with cloth
Tesa tape. No further problems.

Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

Old April 6th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Apr 4, 5:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

Contact cement is fine for skids. A little tricky sometimes with tail
wheels as when you put it in place, it had better be straight. A
little Gorilla glue goes a long way, but gives some working time for
critical alignments.

Frank

Old April 6th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 4, 5:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

Contact cement is fine for skids. A little tricky sometimes with tail
wheels as when you put it in place, it had better be straight. A
little Gorilla glue goes a long way, but gives some working time for
critical alignments.

Frank

Yes indeed!
That is why the trick with contact cement is to apply a coat on each side,
dry a while, then a new thin coat on one side, and put it together. The wet
contact cement allows a few minutes of "slippery time" to allow alignment.
Gorilla glue-(polyurethane glue) is great stuff. A little expands into a
lot, as it foams up. It can easily be overdone!

Hartley Falbaum
USA "KF"

Old April 6th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 4, 5:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
[...]

USA "KF"- Hide quoted text -

Changing subject slightly.... is there a commonly available solvent
for the Gorilla glue? I've used it on other projects, and I'm really
impressed with its strength. I just don't know about how to remove it
once cured.

Old April 7th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:51 pm, "jeplane" wrote:
I need to glue a Schleicher tail skid on my ASW19.

1- What type of glue would you use?

2- Can the tail skid tape be the same as the wings tape?

Thanks for the comments

Richard
ASW19
Phoenix, AZ

Contact cement is fine for skids. A little tricky sometimes with tail
wheels as when you put it in place, it had better be straight. A
little Gorilla glue goes a long way, but gives some working time for
critical alignments.

Frank

If you can, align the skid as well as possible and put some pencil marks
on the skid and the boom. When you're ready to stick things together
you have a good target available to help get it right.
Old April 7th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 6, 10:46 am, wrote:
I just don't know about how to remove it once cured.

The customary way to remove it is a good groundloop
whilst neglecting to get the stick forward...

See ya, Dave

Plexiglass Glue Jim Vincent Soaring 6 March 23rd 07 08:25 PM
Glue it to it [email protected] Home Built 22 December 15th 06 10:38 AM
Removable glue Lou Home Built 2 April 14th 05 06:57 AM
Glue Adair Home Built 3 July 18th 03 10:15 PM
Glue David Home Built 1 July 16th 03 05:51 PM