MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Old May 9th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

We have a 1964 Cessna 172E with a Continental 0-300D. It has the
AutoGas STC, but we've never used anything but 100LL. We've had some
lead deposits and a stuck valve last spring.

With the rising cost of 100LL at our airport, I'm looking at starting to
use 87 Unleaded auto gas.

Is there a resource for tips on using MoGas? Filtering, checking for
alcohol, vapor lock problems, freshness, water, etc.

I've seen Jay's "Mightly Grape" on the web but that might be a little
overkill for us.

Right now our co-op is selling 100LL for $3.70 and MoGas is just under
$3. We'd save about $6 per hour on MoGas. Is it worth the risk and
hassle. I don't know how excited I can get about lifting a 5 gallon jub
up to fill a high-winger.

Just hungry for some info. Thanks in advance from the group.

Al
Old May 9th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:33:22 -0700, Al Gilson wrote:

We have a 1964 Cessna 172E with a Continental 0-300D. It has the
AutoGas STC, but we've never used anything but 100LL. We've had some
lead deposits and a stuck valve last spring.

With the rising cost of 100LL at our airport, I'm looking at starting to
use 87 Unleaded auto gas.

Is there a resource for tips on using MoGas? Filtering, checking for
alcohol, vapor lock problems, freshness, water, etc.

For alcohol testing go to:

http://www.eaa26.org/apr06.pdf

and check page 5.

Ron Wanttaja
Old May 9th 06, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Al Gilson wrote:
: We have a 1964 Cessna 172E with a Continental 0-300D. It has the
: AutoGas STC, but we've never used anything but 100LL. We've had some
: lead deposits and a stuck valve last spring.

That engine is allegedly *MUCH* happier on mogas than 100LL.

: Is there a resource for tips on using MoGas? Filtering, checking for
: alcohol, vapor lock problems, freshness, water, etc.

I've got a Cherokee I run mogas in. I debated on building a smaller version
of Jay's Grape... like a largish can on the hitch of my car, or maybe a small trailer.
I've ended up just using 5 gallon cans, with a pour-spout I built containing a
spin-on water-absorbing fuel filter. It really alleviates any contamination fears I
have from self-fueling from small cans.

I would probably be less excited about it if I had to lug each can up a ladder
to a high-wing. You might want to look for a 55-gallon drum with a hand (or
14v-powered) transfer pump to split the difference.

: Right now our co-op is selling 100LL for $3.70 and MoGas is just under
: $3. We'd save about $6 per hour on MoGas. Is it worth the risk and
: hassle. I don't know how excited I can get about lifting a 5 gallon jub
: up to fill a high-winger.

If the fuel is filtered and you test it for alcohol, the risk is pretty
minimal. Peterson has a vapor-pressure kit to test for that which we got when we
bought the STC. It's basically a syring with a vacuum gauge you screw on. Pull a
vacuum until the fuel sample "boils" and read the gauge. Even in the hottest of
summer days, the samples I've drawn are right on the bottom of the "OK" range. The
100LL I've pulled at the same time for comparison was only slightly better. I rarely
test that anymore.

: Just hungry for some info. Thanks in advance from the group.

I'd highly recommend it if you can do it. Between that an THOROUGHLY
understanding how to lean (or more importantly, the times when you cannot), you can
likely reduce the fuel bill and have a healthier engine.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old May 9th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I've seen Jay's "Mightly Grape" on the web but that might be a little
overkill for us.

Call it overkill -- but thus far I've saved over $6700 in fuel costs,
for the outlay of around $2200.

And counting...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 9th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Also check out http://www.chouby.com/apps/autogas.html

For vapor lock prevention, the best thing to do is to open your cowling
right after shutdown to let the heat out, if you're going to take off
soon. It's a good thing to do anyway to extend the life of the hoses
under the cowling.

I found myself flying more frequently since I started using the autogas
STC. That's another benefit to the engine.

Old May 10th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Al Gilson" wrote in message . ..
[...]

I do the 5 gallons up to the wing all the time on the 1960 172A. Good exercise and runs great. I put a old piece of
carpet under the fuel jug and then tip it over and in to the tank. Only spilt a drop or two in 100 of gallons. See:
http://www.eaa.org/education/fuel/index.html for all kinds of info. The engine runs fine winter and summer. I do put in
a little 100LL on occasion and when XC...

Dan D.

Old May 10th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Depends where you live. Many parts of the country put additives in
their mogas that is illegal according to the EAA's STC.

-Robert

Old May 10th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

: I do the 5 gallons up to the wing all the time on the 1960 172A. Good exercise and runs great. I put a old piece of
: carpet under the fuel jug and then tip it over and in to the tank. Only spilt a drop or two in 100 of gallons. See:
: http://www.eaa.org/education/fuel/index.html for all kinds of info. The engine runs fine winter and summer. I do put in
: a little 100LL on occasion and when XC...

If you do that, I'd be very careful to figure out a way to ground it. Plastic
cans on a piece of plastic fuzz carpet will insulate the can from the plane and let a
charge build up. Remember that flowing fuel *GENERATES* static electricity as it
pours. I've seen some impressive demonstrations of how much charge can be built up.
It was a 1" spark generated every 1-2 seconds just from flowing water.

That's what I consider to be another advantage of my filter-in-the-spout
setup. The 6-8" long-tall object screwed onto the spout is made of metal. Before I
get the spout near the fuel tank hole and as I start to tip it over to pour, I grab
the metal spout and touch the airframe elsewhere. I do that religiously each and
every time I pour anything into the tank. If there is any static, it'll dissipate
through me to the airframe and put both the spout and the airframe at the same
potential. I could rig up a wire to do the same, but as long as I never forget this
is just as good and more convenient.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old May 10th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

IIRC, years ago someone mention they bought an old Chevy Suburban, replaced
the (old) gas tank with a (new) aluminum-homemade-little-bit-larger one (50
gallons?) and pumped from that to his plane. Everything was new -
contamination worries low.

Hmm...IIRC is failing me this morning. Maybe it was a pickup truck with dual
tanks? Anyway, he built (new) aluminum gas tanks for his [beater] and no one
was the wiser at his airport. It was a covert operation Mogas situation
because of airport management - again, ....IIRC!

Montblack

Old May 10th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

: Hmm...IIRC is failing me this morning. Maybe it was a pickup truck with dual
: tanks? Anyway, he built (new) aluminum gas tanks for his [beater] and no one
: was the wiser at his airport. It was a covert operation Mogas situation
: because of airport management - again, ....IIRC!

Interesting. "Covert" shouldn't be necessary as it's illegal to prevent
self-fueling altogether (reasonable safety requirements are allowed). If it's tied
into the truck's fuel system however, it might not be considered bulk fuel
transportation though... and thus less regulations.

Interesting.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *