A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

CNVV question

Old February 26th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Davidson
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

Hi, I'm planning to attend a mountain flying course at CNVV in St. Auban in June, and I'm trying to get answers to a couple of questions from others who have flown there.

First, I speak only enough French to mangle a dinner order. How much of an obstacle is that likely to be both for flight instruction and getting around the area?

Second, my non-pilot wife is going to accompany me, and I want to find some really nice accommodations for her to enjoy while I'm flying. Any suggestions? We'll probably have a rental car, so it won't be a problem for me to drive to the airport from someplace reasonably close.

Finally, we'll plan to do some sightseeing and other activities together while we're in the area, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Old February 26th 15, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

Don:

I can at least answer the question about ordering dinner. First, learn some useful phrases including polite greetings and how to apologize in French. You'll find plenty of English speakers in most areas and they will be happy to help you when your French runs out. You'll get lots of bonus points for trying, though.

Just watch out for how locals utilize language. For example "merci", although translated as "thank-you" is often shorthand for "non merci" ("no thank you") when offered food at a table! Also watch out for some of the colloquial names for some dishes - they often don't translate well (think "pigs in a blanket", for example!)

Many years ago, I was deposited in a rural village with not one English speaker and just rudimentary French grammar from school. I didn't starve and had a great time. I keep going back to the country as I find France very civilized in comparison with some places I have lived. It's hard to find bad food.

Mike
Old February 27th 15, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

On Thursday, 26 February 2015 21:05:51 UTC, Don Davidson wrote:
Hi, I'm planning to attend a mountain flying course at CNVV in St. Auban in June, and I'm trying to get answers to a couple of questions from others who have flown there.

First, I speak only enough French to mangle a dinner order. How much of an obstacle is that likely to be both for flight instruction and getting around the area?

Second, my non-pilot wife is going to accompany me, and I want to find some really nice accommodations for her to enjoy while I'm flying. Any suggestions? We'll probably have a rental car, so it won't be a problem for me to drive to the airport from someplace reasonably close.

Finally, we'll plan to do some sightseeing and other activities together while we're in the area, so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Not answering your question, but make yourself a translation table from knots to kmph and from feet to meters. I found flying with unfamiliar units on the instruments took up unnecessary attention.
Old February 27th 15, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 1:52:35 PM UTC+13, waremark wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Not answering your question, but make yourself a translation table from knots to kmph and from feet to meters. I found flying with unfamiliar units on the instruments took up unnecessary attention.

It's not much of a table! And you don't want to be looking at a bit of paper.
Old February 27th 15, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 6:15:38 AM UTC+1, Bruce Hoult wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Thermal at 80 - 100
Cruise at 130 - 150+
Safe speed near the ground in the gap between those ranges, depending on wind

Quick and dirty 1000 m is 3000 ft. Add 10% if you have time.

Don't bother about hight at StAuban, it will be close to the ground in 90% of the flyging time.

Speed is important, you will learn quite fast the correct speed depending on situation. You will also learn to not spend time at the instrument. Look out is a survival instinct that you need to adopt fast when flyging in the French Alps.
Old March 7th 15, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

Just curious if someone could comment about the "pucker factor" of flying in the French Alps. I remember Bill Bartel saying that is the most terrifying flying he had ever done. Do not really remember why, but the congestion in the air and limited handout spots were a real attention getter. I might have remembered this wrong but would love to hear from U.S. based flyers have have sampled the wonders of flying the French Alps. Must be the most majestic views of any flying.

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 10:25:25 PM UTC-8, Per Carlin wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Thermal at 80 - 100
Cruise at 130 - 150+

Don't bother about hight at StAuban, it will be close to the ground in 90% of the flyging time.

Speed is important, you will learn quite fast the correct speed depending on situation. You will also learn to not spend time at the instrument. Look out is a survival instinct that you need to adopt fast when flyging in the French Alps.

Old March 8th 15, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

If you haven't flown the central Rockies, you should look into that, as
well. We're putting on a camp 20-28 June based in Salida, CO this
year. No registration fees, no equipment requirements except for beer
after flying. Just show up.

Oh, yeah... Our mountains run perpendicular to the prevailing winds, if
you know what I'm saying...

On 3/7/2015 1:00 PM, wrote:
Just curious if someone could comment about the "pucker factor" of flying in the French Alps. I remember Bill Bartel saying that is the most terrifying flying he had ever done. Do not really remember why, but the congestion in the air and limited handout spots were a real attention getter. I might have remembered this wrong but would love to hear from U.S. based flyers have have sampled the wonders of flying the French Alps. Must be the most majestic views of any flying.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Thermal at 80 - 100
Cruise at 130 - 150+

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 9th 15, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Scholz[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

Am 07.03.2015 um 21:00 schrieb :

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Don Davidson

Thermal at 80 - 100
Cruise at 130 - 150+

I would not worry too much about this.

In spring time it can get a bit congested at the Parcours Royale, a
stretch of about 50km where you can do do quite nice ridge soaring.
There are a few sharp corners to turn, where you don't really see who
might be coming towards you around the corner. So you slow down a bit at
those places.

In late summer (last August Weekend IIRC) there is a ASK 13 competition
at St. Crepin. It *is* fun to see about 60 or more of those beautiful
machines creep along the hills from above, it can be at bit challenging
to fly with them at the same height, the speed difference is noticable.
But they are all *very* experienced pilots, they know what hey are doing.

Re. outlanding: You have to get yourself the outlanding catalogue, all
fields are described with map, photo and special things to watch. Some
fields are really easy to use, smoe require a visit by car before you
should attempt to use them. With some fields you will notice on such a
visit that the field might save you, but not your glider. In the lower
parts with broader valleys there are many additional fields available
that are very well landable, and not documented in the catalogue (I used
two of them myself). Also there are good documentations about what
altitude you need at which summit to continue across the next valley.
These should be strictly obeyed.

My personal tip: If you want to treat youself to some very special
experience: Go to Serres, and fly together with Klaus Ohlmann. He
usually flies with a group of 2-4 gliders, and he will show you the most
beautiful spots of the French alps, which you would never reach on your
own. Briefing in Serres is in English, and the best I have experienced
in the French Alps region. Check out
http://www.quovadis-aero.com/?_Lang=_en

--
Peter Scholz
ASW24 JE
Old February 27th 15, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 16:52:32 -0800, waremark wrote:

Not answering your question, but make yourself a translation table from
knots to kmph and from feet to meters. I found flying with unfamiliar
units on the instruments took up unnecessary attention.

Last time I did this: flying a totally unfamiliar glider type (Duo) with
unfamiliar metric instruments over a new area for me (Wiener Neustadt) I
had no problem with speeds or altitude, but did find I was misreading the
vario in sink. I kept taking a -2 reading as meaning 2 kts of sink when
it was double that in reality. As a result I had a tendency to think "no
problem" rather than "lets stick the nose down and get out of here" .

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
org |
Old February 27th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley
external usenet poster

Default CNVV question

Hi Don
No problem at the CNVV with English only. Double Room Accomodation at the Centre in the North Building is quite good, but somewhat basic. La Bonne Etape Hotel in Chateau-Arnoux (5min) is tops but also expensive. Moustier and the Georges du Verdun are a must to visit. Also not to far from the Coast - Marseille - Nice - Monaco
Enjoy your stay
Muttley