cabin noise locations & dogs

Old August 24th 03, 05:54 AM

Default cabin noise locations & dogs

Does anyone know how to find the location in the cabin where the sound
levels are the least bothersome for dogs? I'm assuming it's center aft
(I have a 4-place plane) but don't know if that's correct. Maybe on
the floor? And what frequency range is most bothersome for them?
Old August 24th 03, 07:30 AM
Tom S.

wrote in message
Does anyone know how to find the location in the cabin where the sound
levels are the least bothersome for dogs? I'm assuming it's center aft
(I have a 4-place plane) but don't know if that's correct. Maybe on
the floor? And what frequency range is most bothersome for them?

For dogs it's high pitched sounds, so probably away from the avionics
speakers would work best. If you're using headphones, that should be the
solution for BOTH of you.

Old August 25th 03, 05:47 PM
Ross Richardson

http://www.eaa323.org/

Click on Chapter activities
Click on Annual YE and Campout
See picture Row 7 Column 4

That's how one person protected his dog while doing a lot of flying.

Ross

Old August 26th 03, 12:17 AM

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:47:01 -0500, Ross Richardson
wrote:

http://www.eaa323.org/

Click on Chapter activities
Click on Annual YE and Campout
See picture Row 7 Column 4

That's how one person protected his dog while doing a lot of flying.

Ross

That's a great idea. Don't know how my dog would take to that but it
might be worth trying.
Old August 26th 03, 01:49 AM
Tom S.

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
"Tom S." writes:

If you're using headphones, that should be the
solution for BOTH of you.

Don't forget that their eyes are more sensitive to light than ours!
If you're using sunglasses...
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer
http://lairds.org/Kyler/photos/disk0...g/image_viewer

Just don't let them lean out the window....

Old August 26th 03, 06:40 AM
jeff

We take our french bulldogs on trips all the time, noise has never
bothered them, they sleep most of the trip, went to california yesterday
with them as the most recent trip.

Old August 26th 03, 06:55 AM
C J Campbell

Flying does not seem to bother Badger, our Scottie, very much. She does have
a methane problem, though. Or so both my wife and I claim. It couldn't be
one of us...

Old August 26th 03, 01:19 PM
Kyler Laird

wrote:

http://www.eaa323.org/

Click on Chapter activities
Click on Annual YE and Campout
See picture Row 7 Column 4

For those who don't get into treasure hunts...
http://www.eaa323.org/e060802/I58.jpg

That's a great idea. Don't know how my dog would take to that but it
might be worth trying.

....and for those who prefer a less-bulky retail solution.
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian...213/id23_m.htm

--kyler
Old August 28th 03, 12:04 AM
Alan Bloom

There aren't too many options in my Skylane for changing locations and
my Hairballs take up the entire back seat. The noise doesn't seem to
bother them much. However, they really dislike FBOs with cats.

Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

Old August 30th 03, 09:26 PM
Mike Weller

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 00:19:06 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote:

"Tom S." writes:

If you're using headphones, that should be the
solution for BOTH of you.

Don't forget that their eyes are more sensitive to light than ours!
If you're using sunglasses...
--kyler

Their eyes don't work the same way our's do. Here is what I've seen
them do (no pun intended)... On a late summer night, windows open and
not a sound out here in the country. Something sets off the Lab and
then the Golden Retriever follows suit. It's a half a mile to the top
of the mountain behind us, but we all heard something. The dogs are
pleading with us to open the back door and let them figure out what
that sound was.

I did and they did.

And what I find amazing is that with no acclimation from the bright
lights inside the house to almost zero light with a tolerance of zero
on the trajectory they ran at full dog speed going up the mountain. I
couldn't see a dang thing, but they made (and still make) the winding
path, with cliffs, vines, trees, rocks, and all sort of pitfalls, at
full speed.

Amazing.

Mike Weller