St George Utah

Old August 5th 03, 10:45 PM
Casey Wilson

Default St George Utah

Any hints or tips on flying into KSGU? I have the route planned from KEDW -
DAG - LAS - MMM - KSGU. How about FBOs, fees, etc.?

Casey

Old August 5th 03, 11:58 PM
mikem

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 21:45:34 GMT, "Casey Wilson"
wrote:

Any hints or tips on flying into KSGU? I have the route planned from KEDW -
DAG - LAS - MMM - KSGU. How about FBOs, fees, etc.?

Casey

Practise your cross wind technique before you go.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSGU

MikeM
SLC

Old August 6th 03, 12:35 AM
BTIZ

It can get real bumpy going through the Virgin River Gorge along I-15 just
south of St George, depending on the winds.

SGU sits on a mesa of sorts, with high terrain to the NW (?) and a runoff
cliff to the SE, but it is plenty long enough. Have a good flight.

BT
VGT (LAS)

Old August 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Pete Brown

Practise your cross wind technique before you go.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSGU

MikeM
SLC

Amen:

I was relatively current, having flown from Anchorage to St.
George via Seattle in my 170 a few years ago when I tried to
land at St. George in a roaring crosswind. I managed to
scare myself and my passengers and we retreated to Mesquite,
NV, a few miles to the west. My my did those runway lights
jump quickly into view. I thought I was better than that.

Make sure you have to gas to divert if you are a wimp like me.

Pete

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old August 6th 03, 10:29 PM
John Ross

"Casey Wilson" wrote in
:

Any hints or tips on flying into KSGU? I have the route planned from
KEDW - DAG - LAS - MMM - KSGU. How about FBOs, fees, etc.?

Casey

If flew into SGU from SAN as the first leg of my first VFR vacation in
June. Very cool place to land, since the airport is on top of a mesa
that overlooks the the town. ASOS had the winds at 17 gusting to 24,
mostly crosswind out of the west. No one was in the pattern, and I
couldn't raise anyone on UNICOM for advisories (at 18:00 on a Saturday).

This was the first unfamiliar airport I had visited in over a year, and I
found myself a bit too high on final. Deciding to go-around, I noticed
that it took a fair bit of rudder and aileron to hold the centerline as I
overflew the runway.

The next time around, the approach was much better. I remember flaring,
then realizing that I was going to have to use full aileron and rudder to
keep straight down the runway. That was (and remains) a first for me, and
was lots of fun.

I taxied to Western Air and Jet services on the SE side of the airport,
and tied down there. The FBO was closing, and although the kid who was
shutting down was pleasant, he didn't have any suggestions as to how I
should get to Sullivan's Roccoco Inn and restaurant about a half-mile
down the field, nor would Sullivan's come and pick me up. I started
hoofing it with my luggage and flight bag, but some nice lady took pity
on me and gave me a lift.

Sullivan's was great. It sits on the side of the mesa, giving great
views. During the night, some kids tossed all of the white plastic
chairs that go with each rooms patio down the side of the mesa. The next
morning there were kids tromping up and down the hillside and on my
patio, fetching the chairs.

I thought that the restaurant was good, and had a beer (maybe two)and
large prime rib for about $24. I think the room was $59.

The next morning, I realized that I should have taxied down to the main
air terminal, as there were tie-downs immediately across from the hotel.
Too bad the kid at the FBO didn't clue me in. I hiked back to Western,
which was just opening. When the same guy was unable to find the cpu for
their computer so that I could use DUATS, I just said "screw it" and
taxied north where I tied-down across from my hotel. I didn't but gas at
Western, and I didn't pay for the tied-down. I carried my luggage over,
loaded the plane, then taxied for fuel at some no-name place directly
across the runway. Never did get a DUATS (which I wanted for a fresh leg
table), but I did get wx briefing on my cell phone.

Sullivan's had a continental breakfast going, and I made the mistake of
having juice and coffe just before I left. Sure made the three hour
flight up to Twin Falls seem like torture.

Taking off in the morning was uneventful (no crosswinds). D.A. was
4,000, and I had no problem outclimbing the gently rising terrain to the
NW.

There is commercial turboprop service into SGU, and it was cool to watch
the large planes land and takeoff.

-John Ross

Old August 9th 03, 01:41 AM
jeff

St George is nice, good restaurant on the field, I fly there every now and then,
day and night flights. My plane is at the north las vegas airport (VGT) Make
sure you keep your eyes open around there tho, alot of people there dont seem to
like to announce they are landing. Had one guy almost land on me one day, called
I was taking the runway, looked started moving, my wife yelled stop....there was
a guy on very short finale. after he got on the ground, he landed way way long,
used the entire runway by the looks of it, the runways has a small hill so you
cant see the end from the other end, called him 3 times to see if he was alive,
he finally answered and said he was taxing clear. dumbass.

LAS is good about letting you into their airspace, if you come in from around
henderson, they will steer you over the numbers of the 25L/R runways, great if
you want a view of the strip, there is also a VFR transition route called red
rock one arrival (think its RR 1 arrival and departure, they go each way and is
on the LAS terminal map), but I prefer to fly over the LAS airport. Good
restaurant at the VGT airport, VGT is a nice airport

Jeff
Turbo Arrow III

Old August 9th 03, 04:17 AM
Orval Fairbairn

-
DAG - LAS - MMM - KSGU. How about FBOs, fees, etc.?

Casey

It is always a good idea to do a 360 clearing turn before you take the
runway at uncontrolled airports -- something I had drilled into me more
than 40 years ago.

I have had dumasses pull out in front of me while I was on short final.
One time an Apache took the runway when I was #3 in a flight of 3 (#1
and #2 had just landed). The fool had left his flaps down and was trying
to close the door on his takeoff roll. I called and asked what he was
doing. Reply: "I'm taking off."

--
To get random signatures put text files into a folder called "Random Signatures" into your Preferences folder.