what flight planning software do you use?

Old September 25th 03, 10:19 PM
Sridhar Rajagopal

Default what flight planning software do you use?

Hi,

I was wondering about the following:

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?
3) how would you rate it?

Thanks!
Sridhar

Old September 25th 03, 10:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Sridhar Rajagopal" wrote in message ...

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?

In the past I've typically just used the DynCorp DUAT flight planner. I've
recently started playing around with aeroplanner.

The DUAT planner does most of what I want...piciks a route, fills out the log.
Aeroplanner has the nicety that it provides some AF/D-ish information as well.

Old September 25th 03, 10:37 PM
ArtP

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:19:04 -0700, Sridhar Rajagopal
wrote:

I always use DUATS. If I am going VFR, I also check with
Areoplanner.com. It tells you if your flight plan crosses a TFR of
some sort. I used to file with DUATS but since the DC area became an
ADIZ I now have to file with FSS over the telephone.
Old September 25th 03, 11:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Sridhar Rajagopal said:
1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?
3) how would you rate it?

Aeroplanner for the preliminary routing, and then CoPilot
(http://xcski.com/~ptomblin/CoPilot) to carry with me.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The only sensible way to estimate the stability of a Windows server
Old September 25th 03, 11:48 PM
Mark Manes

I use Flitesoft for VFR and IFR flight planning. I've been using it for
4 to 5 years now and it does everything I need. Started in a Skylane and
went up to 310 a couple of years ago. I use it for every trip I take even
have it on the laptop for out of town use. I have thought about trying
others but really no reason to. I did use Aeroplanner for a period of
about 6 months but Flightsoft seems more convient to me.

Mark Manes
N28409
WC5I

"Sridhar Rajagopal" wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering about the following:

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?
3) how would you rate it?

Thanks!
Sridhar

---

Old September 25th 03, 11:52 PM
David Megginson

Sridhar Rajagopal writes:

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?

I almost always do now. Once in a while I go back to the compass,
ruler, and E6B, just to stay in practice.

2) If you do use it, which one do you use?

CoPilot on the Palm (free).

3) how would you rate it?

Good. I'll give it 8/10 -- it would get higher kind of simple vector
map display. I tried AeroPlanner for a month, and it was a brilliant
site, but I never got comfortable with it.

All the best,

David

Old September 26th 03, 12:33 AM
vincent p. norris

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?

I'm disappointed to see that not a single responder, so far, has said
he does NOT use software.

I'm not a luddite, but I think using a computer to plan a flight
is..... well, I'm afraid I would offend people if I said what I think.

I've planned, and made, a number of long cross-countries, including
two from PA to Alaska, one around the perimeter of the Lower 48 one
all over the Canadian Maritimes; and the hours I spent poring over the
sectionals, looking for the most desirable routes, the best stopping
places, and so forth, was almost as much fun as making the flights.

In addition to the pure enjoyment, I learned a lot about the
topography of my route by drawing course lines on the charts, and
discovered interesting places I would not have known about had I
depended on a computer to do my thinking for me.

vince norris
Old September 26th 03, 12:52 AM
Dan Luke

"Sridhar Rajagopal" wrote:
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?

DUATS with the Cirrus software.

3) how would you rate it?

Entirely adequate for my needs and it's free.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM