iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch)

Old September 13th 14, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch)

Just wondering what the timing of the next version of iGlide which will hopefully take advantage of the new iPhone 6 form factor.

I have been using iGlide more and more and really enjoy flying with it. Its UI is BY FAR the easiest.

Thanks in advance.

Sean
7T
Old September 14th 14, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

This looks interesting: http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...aring-avionics
Old September 14th 14, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:30:07 PM UTC-7, Sean Fidler wrote:
This looks interesting: http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...aring-avionics

I have been flying with the Butterfly Vario Display S for several years and it is totally sunlight readable. It is as good as my Ultimate Le and Le57 screen. I believe the larger displays are the same technology as the Display S and will be excellent in the sun and vastly superior to the apple products. They new instruments are supposed to be available this winter.

http://www.craggyaero.com/butterfly.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old September 14th 14, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

Who knows maybe the new instruments will support US contest rules right from the beginning.

By the way does anyone know if iGlide supports US rules?

AK

Old September 15th 14, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Hmmm. What instruments/computers do not support US rules? What exactly is not supported?

iGlide has been great for me with US tasks (if that's what you mean). Statute miles, feet for start and finish heights, etc. Turn areas of up to 30 mile radius (check ;-)), etc.
Old September 15th 14, 11:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy K

On Monday, September 15, 2014 12:15:15 AM UTC-4, Sean Fidler wrote:
Hmmm. What instruments/computers do not support US rules? What exactly is not supported?

iGlide has been great for me with US tasks (if that's what you mean). Statute miles, feet for start and finish heights, etc. Turn areas of up to 30 mile radius (check ;-)), etc.

e.g. 2 min start, MAT task
Old September 15th 14, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

One interesting thing no one has mentioned on this thread is the built-in barometer/pressure-sensor in the iPhone6. It raises some interesting possibilities for IGC logging and possibly some kind of certification by the IGC for badges/contests/records.

Air avionics and the iGlide software have a jump on the market when it comes to this particular feature.

Dedicated hardware still has some advantages; but the gap is narrowing every 6-9 months.

--Noel

Old September 16th 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

On 2014-09-15 17:20:37 +0000, noel.wade said:

One interesting thing no one has mentioned on this thread is the
built-in barometer/pressure-sensor in the iPhone6. It raises some
interesting possibilities for IGC logging and possibly some kind of
certification by the IGC for badges/contests/records.

Yes, I've been waiting for that feature for years. Many Android phones
have had it for a while. Unfortunately I just this year upgraded from a
4 to 5s (skipping 4s and 5) so wasn't planning another purchase quite
yet...

Apple will no doubt have done their usual sterling job of simplifying
the programming interface so that you just ask for the height, and
they've already done the heavy lifting to calibrate the pressure
against a long term GPS height average (actually, you'd calibrate the
difference of them to be zero), and use the pressure for fast/fine
changes. And probably gone on from that to derive sea-level pressure
for the weather apps...

Hopefully the raw barometric pressure is available too.

Old September 16th 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

The iPhone 6+ with iGlide (updated to use the new screen and hardware, barometric pressure, etc) would definitely be an economical and easy to use solution for cross country or racing navigation for pilots of all experience levels. I find the screen on my iPhone 5 to be bright enough. Hopefully the 6+ will be even brighter. The new barometric pressure sensor is probably very, very smart (perhaps better than what we have in existing loggers?) as it is mainly intended for the health app and in particular accurately measuring stair climbs and daily activity (it will also be important for health apps on the new Apple watch). Apple is under great pressure to catch up with and compete with Android phones in this area. I wonder if XC Soar has taken advantage of the barometric pressure sensors in the Android phones?

In terms of MATs I have been using an SN10 and an Oudie backup or iGlide (Perry). In terms of US rules 2 min under max start height, I simply use a stop watch and mechanical altimeter (cross referenced with SN10 altitude) with lots of buffer (2:30 to 3 min and usually 200 extra feet) to be safe from a penalty.

For MAT task "management" I have not learned of a flight computer that does a good job of automating the decision making process for choosing the right extra turnpoints (what do you recommend?). I simply estimate the choices manually and make the best choice I can based on key indicators. Choosing extra MAT turns is a very complex thing from a programming perspective. The computer can't see the clouds, other gliders (markers), can't see the terrain, towns, fields, etc. I would be skeptical of how a flight computer can support a MAT decision making process effectively. I would not trust or value the timing information or turnpoints recommendations said flight computer provides (I'm assuming one does this) in most cases. Anyway, for me, MAT tasks (not my favorite, I would much prefer pure Assigned Tasking with no complex time/distance "hocus pocus") are just about considering the key variables and making the "best guess" I can manually, often with a paper map. I'll add the turn(s) into the computer once I have made the general decision manually.

SIDENOTE: This guess we all make at the end of a MAT task (say we arrive at the last turn with 20 min to "kill") is a huge decision and can make or break the task for any given pilot. Perhaps this is "too huge" of a decision. This moment in a MAT can easily and drastically change the results (up to that point in the task) if the leaders make the wrong decision or the distance to the next available turnpoints does not work out as "cleanly" as it might for others behind. Just a few minutes or the nature of the nearby turnpoints (distance, terrain, cloud situation, etc) can make a massive difference in the final MAT task result. Of course the reverse can be true and it may work out perfectly for the leader and not for the trailers. I have actually won two task days I probably should not have for this very reason. Because of this, again, I would much prefer pure Assigned Tasks and think we need to fly a higher proportion of them (ATs not MATs) in the future. I feel ATs are are simply better tests. -END OF RANT

So, what am I missing? Have I set myself up for a ClearNav feature review :-)? Does the CN or perhaps the LX9000 handle MATs better? I'm guessing the LX 9000 does not support US rules?

Sean
7T
Old September 16th 14, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:01:59 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:

In terms of MATs I have been using an SN10 and an Oudie backup or iGlide (Perry). In terms of US rules 2 min under max start height, I simply use a stop watch and mechanical altimeter (cross referenced with SN10 altitude) with lots of buffer (2:30 to 3 min and usually 200 extra feet) to be safe from a penalty.

You do realize that the Oudie (SYM) has a nice little 2 minute below MSH before starting countdown timer? Makes the process hands off and painless...

Kirk
66