SWRFI update... Moving again (argghh!!)...

Old October 12th 04, 06:39 AM
Dave S

Default SWRFI update... Moving again (argghh!!)...

The following is mail that I recieved as part of a mass-mailout from the
organization of SWRFI. Given that this is a public announcement sent to
the persons who have an interest in the organization or have
corresponded with it, I am going to take the liberty of reposting it
here and unedited (well.. other than the topic comments). I will make my
own comments in a reply to this original post.

PASTE

The South West Regional Fly In wants to thank you for your part in the
2004 fly-in and to let you know your SWRFI Board has made two major
changes relating to SWRFI, and we wanted to tell you about them and
enlist your support. First, we have streamlined our organizational
structure, and second, we are moving the Fly-in.

The streamlined structure was approved by representatives of the
constituent chapters, and consists of a Board of Directors and its
Executive Committee (EC). The EC is the 7 elected officers (a Chairman
was added) and three Directors-at-Large. Besides the EC, the Board
additionally has six Directors elected from the general membership.
These two groups manage the business of the Fly-in. Backing the Board
of Directors we will have an Advisory Committee of EAA Members, Fly-in
Chairs, and Chapter representatives that will meet twice a year with the
board for input and ideas.

The second major change was to move the event to Hondo, Texas in 2005.
This decision was reached with a great deal of regret. We consider
New Braunfels, its public servants and its citizens to be among the best
in Texas. It is a great place to visit.

In planning for the 2005 Fly-In, your Board members took a careful look
at our potential for future growth and what that growth would require in
terms of facilities and safety, especially safety. After the last
Fly-In, there were many comments fed back to the Board regarding the
activity on the taxiway at New Braunfels, and the interactions between
vehicles, people and the aircraft on display. In addition, the consensus
was that we needed parallel runways; one for high speed and heavy
traffic and one for lower speed aircraft, as well as a good venue for
ultra light, powered parachutes and rotorcraft.

Further, our experience in 2004 showed us what a disaster a rainstorm
could be. We had to reorient the entire fly-in and we could not have
survived had more aircraft shown up. We know that the New Braunfels has
near and long-term plans to correct drainage, but that alone would not
result in enough dry space during heavy rains.

We have another problem looming on the horizon were we to remain in New
Braunfels. The airport is undertaking a multi-year growth effort to
include lengthening runways, developing an industrial park and bringing
in more industry. All of these endeavors will be great for the city,
but disruptive to a developing fly-in.

In our final analysis, the mixture of vehicles, aircraft and people
dictated by the New Braunfels layout is an accident about to happen, and
an intolerable circumstance. With these considerations in mind, the
Board decided it was time to move on. Our emphasis here was the airport
facility itself and how it could safely meet our needs. This was
foremost in our thinking and overshadowed other concerns.

Hondo is ideal for an event. It not only has parallel runways but also
several others that we can utilize if needed. It has more ramp space
than most airports in Texas. Everyone---people, planes, and vendors
will be on concrete. The city of Hondo is supportive beyond belief. We
really have a recipe for success and future growth. We can envision an
event with 5,000 aircraft conveniently handled and tied down. Our air
show line will offer good viewing and the performers will be flying over
open land. There is plenty of camping and lots of facilities available.

We are somewhat more distant than before and there are fewer motels in
the immediate area. We have solutions to these concerns. Again, first
and foremost, we needed an airport to stage a safe, comfortable fly-in.
Hondo fills that need better than any other facility in central Texas.

So, for 2005 it’s on to Hondo! Your continuing participation is
essential. Please join us in Hondo, May 13-15. 2005, and help make our
fly-in one of the most enjoyed in all of aviation.

Sincerely, Your Board of Directors:

Chairman/President – Stan Shannon Director at Large – Gary Garvens

Director at Large – Wayne Nelson Director at Large – Dick Smith

Director – Harry Cook Director – Bill Gunn

Director – Don Parsons Director – John C. Schmidt Jr.

Director – Boyce Vardiman Director – Norris Warner

VP 1 – Bill Tarver VP 2 – Don Staats

VP 3 – John Sommer Secretary – E. D. Yeos

Treasurer – Gene Kent CPA – Hobby Stevens

Old October 12th 04, 06:48 AM
Dave S

The following is an article in the local Hondo paper that is dated Oct
7th.. I will paste the link as well, but the link itself does not appear
to be a "permanent" link and is simply used for the story-du-jour.

http://www.hondoanvilherald.com/news3.htm

Hondo airport to host May Fly-In

Planners hope to make it an annual event

By William Hoover
Anvil Herald Correspondent

The regional Experimental Aircraft Association is undergoing
drastic changes which will directly benefit the Medina County seat. The
group is moving from New Braunfels to Hondo and will change the name of
its annual convention to the Texas Fly-In.
The mayor is excited, the chamber of commerce is excited, the
airport board is excited and why not? The board of directors of the
EAA's Southwest Regional Fly-In, Inc., which promises to be a
multimillion dollar economic generator, made the decision Saturday after
touring the airport and pro-claiming it an ideal location.
The decision means the 40-year-old recreational aircraft
organization will hold its May 2005 Texas Fly-In activities at Hondo
Municipal Airport. If the event is a success as anticipated, the EAA
will hold all future
Fly-Ins at HMA. The dates are already set for the Texas Fly-Ins for 2006-08.
The EAA, the largest recreational aircraft association, was founded
by flight enthusiasts in Milwaukee in 1953. The 52nd annual national
fly-in was
held in the EAA's headquarters of Oshkosh, WI, earlier this year.
The organization focuses on people and fellowship by offering the
opportunity to learn about aviation and meet and make friends with other
aviation enthusiasts. The group promotes the enjoyment of aviation with
recreational aircraft including antiques, classics, war birds, aerobatic
aircraft, ultra lights, helicopters, and contemporary manufactured aircraft.
The stated mission of SWRFI is to help present and future EAA
members experience the love of aviation which members share and to help
people learn more about aircraft building, restoring, flying and safety
issues. One of the primary ways SWRFI promotes the mission is by holding
its annual fly-ins, which will be held in Hondo for the foreseeable future.
The decision to relocate the fly-in from New Braunfels to Hondo is
a coup for the local economy, as well as for admirers of recreational
aircraft and the more adventurous field of experimental aviation.
Stan Shannon, president of the EAA SWRFI, emphasized the positive
aspects of the move, such as Hondo's spacious airport facilities and the
decision to change the organization's name to the Texas Fly-In.
"We have nothing negative to say about New Braunfels," said
Shannon. "We just ran out of room on the ramp. Last year we had heavy
rains leading up to
the event. We had vendors and aircraft parked on grass and it turned
into a muddy mess. You have so much ramp space we can put everybody up
on the ramp."
Each of the organization's directors inspected the Hondo airport
prior to making the decision to move, according to Shannon.
Shannon said the event's name change is a logical step. "'Swurfy',
as it is pronounced, did not sound professional so it was suggested we
change the
name to the Texas Fly-In, because that's what it is," he said. "We
figured the same time we move, we ought to have a name change."
Shannon said he told Mayor Ed Fisher that if he could sit down and
design an airport to accommodate the annual aircraft convention it would
come out looking pretty much like Hondo's airport. In New Braunfels, at
the 2004 Fly-In, visitors had to cross an active taxiway to view
aircraft on display, creating a dangerous traffic hazard, according to
the SWRFI president.
"(Hondo's airport) is about as perfect as you can get," said the
65-year-old private pilot. "The ramps, the runway, the layout are all
ideal."
The EAA's SWRFI is distributing literature boasting about Hondo's
facilities which they call a "Texas-size airport" with its 2,560 acres
and five runways.
"The City of Hondo is supportive beyond belief. We really have a
recipe for success and future growth. We can envision an event with
5,000 aircraft conveniently handled and tied down. Our airshow line will
offer good viewing and the performers will be flying over open land.
There is plenty of camping and lots of facilities available," wrote
Shannon in a letter to members
explaining the move.
At Monday's council meeting, the mayor said the Texas Fly-In could
generate in excess of $1 million for the city, vendors and local
entrepreneurs.
Airport board member Mike Corrigan was one of the first to have the
idea of trying to entice the EAA to relocate to Hondo. Corrigan gave
SWRFI directors a tour of the city and its lodging establishments in
September. "It ought to be good for Hondo and give a little economic
boost to everyone," said Corrigan.
The airport board member said he hoped the EAA group would like
Hondo's airport, but he was worried there would not be enough available
lodging. However, he spoke to the SWRFI president and was told a
majority of participants prefer to camp out while attending the weekend
event. Area hotels and motels are expected to be booked well in advance
of the second weekend in May.
"I did not think it was possible, but I was told they could make
arrangements," said Corrigan. "A lot of people will be camping and
coming in recreational vehicles. The city will allow camping on the
airport grounds and supply electricity to campers and RVs. Visitors will
be able to shower at the Rick Taylor Recreational Center and at private
restrooms in other
hangar facilities. SWRFI will pay a flat fee for using facilities and
they charge a fee at the gate to pay for marketing and set up,"
explained Corrigan.
There will also be plenty of opportunities for business and private
homeowners to make money from the event. "People who go to the lake on
the weekend or go out of town will be able to rent out their house," said
Corrigan. "That is what they do in Oshkosh."
Indeed, Shannon said that 30% to 40% of attendees will camp out to
attend the fly-in. "It is a fellowship thing," said the SWRFI president.
"We have tent campers, trailer campers, small RVS and big luxury RVs.
All those
will be able to camp on the airfield. Others can go to a regular RV park
with full hookups. We will only have electric on the airport."
Shannon said SWRFI hoped to build a strong partnership with the
City of Hondo to accommodate the housing needs of everyone attending the
Texas
Fly-In. "There are very few hotels in Hondo, although the chamber of
commerce says there are 1,000 rooms within a 30 mile radius," he said.
"They never have enough room in Oshkosh either, so the housing bureau of
the chamber of commerce set up a deal to allow people to call if they
had rooms or houses to rent. Half of the people attending stay in
somebody else's
house. It allows citizens to make some money off airport activities.
This is a big deal in Oshkosh where we have a $250 million impact with
10,000 airplanes and 70,000 visitors."
Shannon said he expects the Texas Fly-In to be one-tenth the size
of the national big convention in Oshkosh.
"Hondo will probably have 1,000 airplanes and 7,000 to 8,000
people," said Shannon. "I would think the economic impact would be $2 to
$3 million and move up to $20 million over time."
Corrigan said the SWRFI directors had told him they were impressed
by the reception they received from city leaders when they toured the
airport. "They liked everyone's attitude," said Corrigan. "They liked
what they saw at the airport and they felt at home. Once people come
here, the fly-in will keep growing."
The city has not yet signed any contracts with SWRFI so the
finances are not yet known.
"This all just happened," said City Manager Robert Herrera. "I have
a call in to Stan Shannon and we will sit down in the near future to
work things out."

Old October 12th 04, 07:30 AM
Dave S

Ok... This is kinda catching me by surprise... and I must say that some
of this is marginally frustrating.. but I also have to temper that
frustration with the recognition that SWRFI (now to be called the "Texas
Fly In" is growing and must change to meet that growth.

That being said, I fall in the status of an attendee, and wanna be, not
a staff member of any kind with SWRFI. After attending my first SWRFI
last spring, flying in to New Braunsfels from Houston, I thought that
overall the flyin did fairly well considering the weather hurdles that
we endured (sustained rains over several days softened the ground
substantially). My only other grand aviation experiences were the Wings
Over Houston airshow (perenially held in Oct) and my First OSH in 2002.

Dave S wrote:

[...]

Reorganization: No comment. I am not involved in the political end of
the organization and only know one of the persons named below personally.

The second major change was to move the event to Hondo, Texas in 2005.
This decision was reached with a great deal of regret. We consider New
Braunfels, its public servants and its citizens to be among the best in
Texas. It is a great place to visit.

New Braunsfels is a very popular destination for thousands of tourists
every year. Booming "aquatic based" and "historic town based" economy. I
have gone there frequently (annually) for over a decade to camp, raft
the river and shop.

[...]

Ok.. here is where I have to say something in the context of the past 3
paragraphs.. This was the first year back in New Braunsfels after a
number of years in Abilene. A lot of these issues that are being raised
are concerning to me, because these issues surely predated the move back
to New Braunsfels. The runway config has been static for a LONG time at
BAZ/New Braunsfels.

Texas has been known for having sustained rains before, given our
proximity to the Gulf Coast and the habit of frontal systems stalling
over the central texas region mingling with moisture flowing in from the
Gulf. The very fact that the fly in organizers were able to pull off a
re-arrangement in the face of having most of the turf rendered unuseable
is a testament to their flexibility.

I agree that the active taxiway right up the middle of the displays on
either side of the main ramp was a difficult factor to deal with, and
aircraft movements required significant marshalling involvement. Any
time you have active aircraft mingling with lay public, you are
increasing the risk of an accident occuring. No contest on that point.
I guess my point is.. New Braunsfel's future airport expansion plans are
not a secret. These issues should have been known and considered BEFORE
moving there, rather than after.

Unfortunately I do not have the experience of having attended Abilene,
so I am unable to comment on what New Braunsfels was/is in relation to
the event there.

In our final analysis, the mixture of vehicles, aircraft and people
dictated by the New Braunfels layout is an accident about to happen, and
an intolerable circumstance. With these considerations in mind, the
Board decided it was time to move on. Our emphasis here was the airport
facility itself and how it could safely meet our needs. This was
foremost in our thinking and overshadowed other concerns.

Safety is clearly an overriding concern. But.. if the overall
arrangement was unsafe after the fact, it should have been foreseable
before the fact. Either that, or perhaps I am just not grasping the
scale of how much re-arranging was done after the storms softened the
grounds.

Hondo is ideal for an event. It not only has parallel runways but also
several others that we can utilize if needed. It has more ramp space
than most airports in Texas. Everyone---people, planes, and vendors
will be on concrete. The city of Hondo is supportive beyond belief. We
really have a recipe for success and future growth. We can envision an
event with 5,000 aircraft conveniently handled and tied down. Our air
show line will offer good viewing and the performers will be flying over
open land. There is plenty of camping and lots of facilities available.

Ok.. room for 5000 aircraft. However, geography and populace need to be
considered. Hondo is about 25 miles from Central San Antonio, however it
is somewhat more "isolated" than New Braunsfels is (which is about 15-20
miles NE of San Antonio). The airport is on the edge of the small town
of Hondo, and then its a significant drive to get anywhere. One of the
web links I found says there are 1000 hotel rooms within 30 miles of the
airport... most of those are at least 20 miles away and centered around
Fiesta Texas/Sea World and University of Texas San Antonio.

New Braunsfels had hundreds of hotel rooms within 5 miles of the airport
and also worth considering...they had PLENTY of non-aviation attractions
within a very short drive of the airport.. 10 miles had "Old Town
Gruene", downtown New B, restaurants, some river venues and the Outlet
Mall up at San Marcos, as well as all the events/locales along the I-35
corridor.

Part of the appeal of taking a friend and his wife to SWRFI at BAZ was
grabbing a car, lunching off site, and she dropped us back off and went
shopping (her plan all along).

What I am seeing is a migration from Abilene (a Class C airport town,
and college town with an Air Force Base).. to New Braunsfels.. smaller,
but with lots of infrastructure nearby.. to what I am percieving as a
small town in the sticks... but hey.. its got a big airport.

I'm sorry... but this smacks of poor planning and lack of foresight,
feeling the need to move twice in two years. This sort of instability
can cause the loss of attendance and vendors. Keep in mind, in the
larger towns, some of the attendance was local folk who heard about the
event coming up and went to check it out.. that will be lacking in
smaller town venues.

We are somewhat more distant than before and there are fewer motels in
the immediate area. We have solutions to these concerns. Again, first
and foremost, we needed an airport to stage a safe, comfortable fly-in.
Hondo fills that need better than any other facility in central Texas.

So, for 2005 it’s on to Hondo! Your continuing participation is
essential. Please join us in Hondo, May 13-15. 2005, and help make our
fly-in one of the most enjoyed in all of aviation.

Ok.. now.. to balance my statements.. The guys who are doing this are
all volunteer.. they all have other jobs and interests. They are not
career staffers like some of the folks in Oshkosh are. Part of this was
the result of human nature.. not foreseeing the possibilities. These
guys are trying to 1) ensure the safety of the event 2) ensure the
survival of the event and 3) encourage the eventual growth of what is a
major aviation event in the South Central US.

Truth is, driving, its only about an hour longer drive, IF that.
Flying.. its maybe 20-30 mins MAX difference, depending on how the
arrival procedure is constructed. If I fly in and camp, the center of
town appears to border the airport.. hopefully everything I need will be
closer to the plane than having to walk from the north 40 at OSH to
wherever you have to now go (since walmart and the grocery store closed)
Its been said "If you build it, they will come". Lets see if this will
turn into a "Field of Dreams" or not. I will be going, gripes and all.
Last year I also made a comment regarding the fly in that I wanted to be
part of the solution, not the problem, so if I can get my personal and
professional life lined up, I would like to try and staff the event in
the future.

Dave
Houston, TX

Old October 12th 04, 04:04 PM
Dude

New Braunfels is a great town, but I have never been to Hondo. Is there
much there?

Old October 12th 04, 09:45 PM
ET

"Dude" wrote in news:eoSad.19738$iC4.12268
@fe2.texas.rr.com:

New Braunfels is a great town, but I have never been to Hondo. Is there
much there?

It's a much smaller Texas town, about as far south of San Antonio as New
Braunfels is North....

ET
Old October 13th 04, 01:09 AM
Dude

That doesn't sound like there will be much reason to be there except the
show.

Get your hotel early, or plan on flying in and out, I guess.

Old October 13th 04, 05:05 PM
One's Too Many

"Dude" wrote in message ...
That doesn't sound like there will be much reason to be there except the
show.

Get your hotel early, or plan on flying in and out, I guess.

Or plan on camping on the field. Hondo is way the heck out in the
middle of no-where. It's relatively flat and un-scenic for central
Texas, unlike the rest of the hill country. Right now it's used a lot
for T6-A training missions out of Randolph AFB. I flew there once
about a year ago, and it seemed desolate and deserted except for a few
grasshoppers and a lizard running across the ramp.
Old October 13th 04, 06:59 PM
ET

(One's Too Many) wrote in
om:

"Dude" wrote in message
That doesn't sound like there will be much reason to be there except
the show.

Get your hotel early, or plan on flying in and out, I guess.

Or plan on camping on the field. Hondo is way the heck out in the
middle of no-where. It's relatively flat and un-scenic for central
Texas, unlike the rest of the hill country. Right now it's used a lot
for T6-A training missions out of Randolph AFB. I flew there once
about a year ago, and it seemed desolate and deserted except for a few
grasshoppers and a lizard running across the ramp.

Sorry, My bad..

It's actually directly east of San Antonio(shows my sense of direction
huh? I had said it was South) about 30 miles. Also only a 1/2 hr or so
drive to Sea World etc. Castroville is another old-time Texas town
about 15 miles away from Hondo (toward San Antonio).

But the Speed limit from San Antonio to Hondo is 70 most of the way, So
even if you stay in a Hotel near Sea World, or even downtown San
Antonio, your not THAT far away from Hondo.

I live pretty near New Braunfels, so I'll have to drive over an hour to
get there instead of less than 15min. I think this will hurt the
driving attendance a bit, since New Braunfels was less than an hour from
both San Antonio & Austin, as well as a bit less than 3 hours from
Houston.

This will add about 70 miles to a drive from Houston or Austin.. perhaps
enough to convince a few folks not to go.

I understand about the need for a place with better drainage. I know
many venders were disapointed last year, (& I was a bit disapointed that
many of the venders didn't show up, since there spot was a large mud
puddle)

Hondo also tends to not get as much rain, and stay "generally" clearer
than the north east side of San Antonio, so that may help as well.

ET
Old October 13th 04, 07:18 PM
W P Dixon

I'm not looking at a map but I believe Hondo is WEST of San Antonio but the
distance is what you said. And no there is not much there Guess yall will
have to party in San Antonio..which ain't bad, lots of pretty senoritas!

Patrick

"ET" wrote in message
(One's Too Many) wrote in
om:

Old October 13th 04, 11:26 PM
ET

"W P Dixon" wrote in
:

I'm not looking at a map but I believe Hondo is WEST of San Antonio
but the distance is what you said. And no there is not much there
Guess yall will have to party in San Antonio..which ain't bad, lots of
pretty senoritas!

Patrick

I'm gonna flunk navigation..... :-(

ET