Medical after cancer

Old February 26th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Chas[_2_]

Default Medical after cancer

Just diagnosed with stage I breast cancer, mastectomy next week. Anticipate
some degree of chemical warfare post operation. Doc says it may cause hot
flashes, wife says welcome to her world.

Current medical runs for another 14 months. I will be talking to the AOPA
folks but was curious if anyone had comparable experience and could give me
view as to hoops, traps, etc that I might anticipate.

thx

chuck

Old February 26th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:03:54 -0500, Chas wrote:

Just diagnosed with stage I breast cancer, mastectomy next week.

Sorry to hear that.

As a very simple answer, the whole FAA medical system is based on
incapacitation. If any part of your treatment or condition could lead to
any form of incapacitation you'll have an uphill battle with them until you
are finished with the treatment and can provide proof that you are in the
clear.

I assume you've read this?
http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/medi...er/breast.html

BTW the AOPA Medical folks are a great resource.

--
Dallas
Old February 26th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Chas writes:

Just diagnosed with stage I breast cancer, mastectomy next week. Anticipate
some degree of chemical warfare post operation. Doc says it may cause hot
flashes, wife says welcome to her world.

Current medical runs for another 14 months. I will be talking to the AOPA
folks but was curious if anyone had comparable experience and could give me
view as to hoops, traps, etc that I might anticipate.

Since cancer is not normally a cause of sudden incapacitation in flight, I
don't see why the FAA would care, especially after it is cured. However,
during the course of chemotherapy you probably would not be in flying
condition, so that would have to finish first.

Old February 26th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim B

Chuck,
Sorry to hear the bad news but don't feel alone.
Google the rec.aviation.student group archives. A frequent poster and
fellow pilot walked this path before you.
Good luck,
Jim

Old February 26th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

On Feb 26, 4:40 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Since cancer is not normally a cause of sudden incapacitation in flight, I
don't see why the FAA would care, especially after it is cured. [...]

The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage. If it was non-metastatic,
I believe they want a year to go by after cure. Otherwise could be
five years or more or never.

Doesn't seem quite fair to deny someone with a limited lifespan, the
joy of flight, does it? Of course, if you actually had just a few
months, who'd care about the FAA? :-)

I'm coming up on one year since my chemo, rad, and major cancer
operation, and am interested in slowly getting back in the saddle as
well.

Kev

Old February 26th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kev writes:

The FAA view is that if you have a known cancer, then you could also
have unseen brain / nervous system damage.

Wow! They are _really_ grasping at straws here. Who makes these decisions?

A substantial percentage of the population shows brain aneurysms at autopsy,
but only a fraction experience ruptured aneurysms during life. Why doesn't
the FAA require MRIs of pilots' brains and exclude anyone with even a hint of
a vascular abnormality from flight? It's just as likely to cause
incapacitation as occult metastases of a primary malignancy to the brain.

And even when metastases occur and are symptomatic, it's unlikely that they
will present _suddenly_ as abrupt incapacitation with no prior warning.

Many pilots are walking around with a cardiovascular system that may given
them a CVA or MI at any moment, but the FAA does not deny their medicals, as
long as their BP is normal and they have no history. Shouldn't it require
invasive testing to verify that all major arteries are patent and clean?

Doesn't seem quite fair to deny someone with a limited lifespan, the
joy of flight, does it?

The gap between the FAA's view and reality is quite astonishing.

I'm coming up on one year since my chemo, rad, and major cancer
operation, and am interested in slowly getting back in the saddle as
well.

Good luck. If you are anything less than Khan Noonien Singh it seems that
you'll need it with the FAA.

Old February 27th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TxSrv

MxWhatever wrote:

A substantial percentage of the population shows brain
aneurysms at autopsy, but only a fraction experience ruptured
aneurysms during life.

A mere MSFS sim pilot is now also a physician and forensic
pathologist. Totally awesome.

F--
Old February 27th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_4_]

Why did I bother going to medical school and then seven years of residency?

I could have sat on my ass all day surfing the internet and become as smart
(and respected) as MX.

Old February 27th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Your current medical is invalid until your treating doctor
fully releases you and you are not on any medication the FAA
finds disqualifying.
Home Page Executive Branch Code of Federal Regulations
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR)
e-CFR Data is current as of February 22, 2007

Title 14: Aeronautics and Space
PART 61-CERTIFICATION: PILOTS, FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS, AND
GROUND INSTRUCTORS
Subpart A-General

Browse Previous | Browse Next

§ 61.53 Prohibition on operations during medical
deficiency.
(a) Operations that require a medical certificate. Except as
provided for in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who
holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of
this chapter shall not act as pilot in command, or in any
other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while
that person:

(1) Knows or has reason to know of any medical condition
that would make the person unable to meet the requirements
for the medical certificate necessary for the pilot
operation; or

(2) Is taking medication or receiving other treatment for a
medical condition that results in the person being unable to
meet the requirements for the medical certificate necessary
for the pilot operation.

(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate.
For operations provided for in §61.23(b) of this part, a
person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other
capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that
person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition
that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in
a safe manner.

(c) Operations requiring a medical certificate or a U.S.
driver's license. For operations provided for in §61.23(c),
a person must meet the provisions of-

(1) Paragraph (a) of this section if that person holds a
valid medical certificate issued under part 67 of this
chapter and does not hold a current and valid U.S. driver's
license.

(2) Paragraph (b) of this section if that person holds a
current and valid U.S. driver's license.

[Doc. No. 25910, 62 FR 16298, Apr. 4, 1997, as amended by
Amdt. 61-110, 69 FR 44866, July 27, 2004]

. ..

Old February 27th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony

It is so much easier to fabricate, misunderstand, and misreport
information than actually be truthful.

MX does write well though, doesn't he?

data On Feb 26, 7:29 pm, "Viperdoc"
wrote:
Why did I bother going to medical school and then seven years of residency?

I could have sat on my ass all day surfing the internet and become as smart
(and respected) as MX.

My next medical John Huthmaker Piloting 29 April 5th 06 09:47 PM
Class III medical, Sport Pilot Medical, Crohn's disease [email protected] Piloting 3 August 15th 05 01:44 PM
Got my medical! Simon Robbins Rotorcraft 1 January 30th 05 07:49 PM
Medical Exam John Huthmaker Piloting 10 October 8th 04 02:23 AM
Help With Medical Problem Identified During Medical Exam pjbphd Piloting 30 September 8th 04 12:59 AM