Glider gets eaten by cows

Old November 21st 13, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus[_2_]

Default Glider gets eaten by cows

Now we know why not to land out in a field loaded with cows.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=488_1384997877
Old November 21st 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbus[_2_]

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:52:42 PM UTC-8, nimbus wrote:
Now we know why not to land out in a field loaded with cows.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=488_1384997877

Anyone got any stories to share?
Old November 22nd 13, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Cows think that if it's white, it's a salt lick.
Great fun. The best thing to happen to drones since their invention!
Jim
Old November 22nd 13, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

at a talk about landouts at one of the first SSA conventions I attended (Memphis I think), George Moffat said that waving a sectional seemed to do a good job of scaring cows away. He did not know if waving a PDA at them would have the same effect. I've also heard that breaking the squelch on the radio and cranking up the volume is a good way to keep livestock away.
Old November 22nd 13, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:54:23 -0800 (PST), nimbus
wrote:

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:52:42 PM UTC-8, nimbus wrote:
Now we know why not to land out in a field loaded with cows.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=488_1384997877

Anyone got any stories to share?

Field with cows in it? Not the best, but you can deal with it.

Field with ONE cow in it? No. That's not a cow.
Old November 22nd 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 11/21/2013 6:10 PM, JS wrote:
Cows think that if it's white, it's a salt lick.
Great fun. The best thing to happen to drones since their invention!
Jim

Ha ha ha!

I'm not a rancher nor have I ever played one on TV, but I've been around
enough cows to know they're a humorous mixture of curiosity and caution
(fear?). If you happen to (say) land out in a field to which cows have access,
or happen to walk through a pasture full of them, assuming they're not range
cattle - which generally don't wanna have anything to do with humans - they'll
likely begin following you, coming closer over distance and time until you're
convinced they're within eating distance of your back. If you stop, they'll
stop. If you turn around to look at 'em, they'll recoil in sudden alarm as if
they suddenly realize they're no longer invisible! Very humorous. Continue
walking (without looking at 'em) and they'll resume following you until their
curiosity is satisfied.

All bets are off if any happen to be bulls...

As to protection of your sailplane, assume the worst if you don't remain there
to "look the cows off". Curiosity (and poundage) will triumph.

Bob W.
Old November 22nd 13, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Brisbourne[_2_]

Been there. Had a canopy smashed and a parachute (used as a
wing tip weight pulled) while I was in the pub waiting for crew.

No, I didn't abandon the glider when there were cows in the field,
or even the next field, it's just that all the gates were open. Lesson
learned.......

You can chase cows away from a glider by just waving your arms
and running at them, but the problem is they can approach from all
sides. It's also clear from the way they react to you they know
you are from the city, and take the p***.

One more tip- when you come to de-rig and have crew available
push the glider into a corner so it's easy to defend, also park the
car where it blocks and distract them. They'll lick the paintwork
and it will smell a bit afterwards but you can clean it up.

Old November 22nd 13, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

At 03:28 22 November 2013, Bob Whelan wrote:
On 11/21/2013 6:10 PM, JS wrote:
[...]

Was a problem when gliders were made of wood and doped fabric. Cows would
lick the fabric until they destroyed it, they liked the dope apparently

Old November 22nd 13, 01:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:52:42 PM UTC-5, nimbus wrote:
Now we know why not to land out in a field loaded with cows.

Those bovine beauties in the video are heifers, not cows.

If you're within final glide of Ben and Jerry's original ice cream factory, an enclosed area containing quadrupeds (heifers, cows, horses, llamas, sheep) is a pasture (not a field), and likely to be steep, irregular, and boulder-ed. If the field contains a herd of bipeds, it is probably a soccer field.
Old November 22nd 13, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

In article ,
nimbus wrote:

On Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:52:42 PM UTC-8, nimbus wrote:
Now we know why not to land out in a field loaded with cows.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=488_1384997877

Anyone got any stories to share?

Well, there is the story about the PW-5 and the amorous bull...

FP, you want to chime in?

Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Cows Paul Sengupta Piloting 21 September 10th 04 07:59 PM
COWS WITH GUNS Beefy Burger Home Built 14 January 21st 04 07:07 AM
FS2004 Has Cows! Scet Simulators 15 September 25th 03 09:01 AM