new AOPA flight planner?

Old October 31st 03, 02:00 PM
aaronw

Default new AOPA flight planner?

Anyone tried out the new AOPA flight planner? It looks pretty
interesting - you can import weather graphics from DUAT(S) and overlay
them on the 'sectional' that it draws the routes on. It also plots
all the TFRs and such.

Still playing with it, but it looks like it has a lot of
possibilities. It's a free download from
http://www.aopa.org/flight_planner/intro.html - free to use if you're
a member.

aw
Old October 31st 03, 03:10 PM
GeorgeF

aaronw wrote:
Anyone tried out the new AOPA flight planner? It looks pretty
interesting - you can import weather graphics from DUAT(S) and overlay
them on the 'sectional' that it draws the routes on. It also plots
all the TFRs and such.

I just download and install it. However when I enter my AOPA
Username/Password it says it's not a valid name/password....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old October 31st 03, 05:40 PM
Ross Richardson

I installed it but get message can't connect to server. I wrote AOPA
with the question. I have a laptop running Windows 2000.

Old October 31st 03, 06:31 PM
Edward Todd

In article ,
aaronw wrote:

Anyone tried out the new AOPA flight planner?

Waiting on the Mac version that does not require having to buy Virtual
PC (may be a long wait, if ever)

Edward
Old October 31st 03, 07:07 PM
Tony Cox

"aaronw" wrote in message

Anyone tried out the new AOPA flight planner?

There are a few rough edges, like not seeming to save my aircraft
characteristis or DUATS account info, & retrieving the weather maps
looks a bit flakey, but I found it pretty easy to use & the graphics are
great. It'll also plot TFR's, including things like the CA fire NOTAM'd
restricted areas. Nice. It also gives you restricted areas & MOA's, which
you can click on and find things like hours & altitudes. Not really clear
where it sucks that lot in from, or if the info is properly current.

It'll merge Nexrad data, which is useful if you're just about to fly. I
suggested
they include graphic representations of PIREPS too, which is something
missing right now. Like http://adds.aviationweather.gov/pireps/java/

All in all, a class act & the price is right. I have it installed on Windows
2000.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old November 1st 03, 12:50 AM
Bob Noel

In article .net,
"Tony Cox" wrote:

All in all, a class act & the price is right. I have it installed on
Windows
2000.

given that it requires windows, the price is simply too high.

--
Bob Noel
Old November 1st 03, 01:48 AM
aaronw

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:10:56 -0500, GeorgeF
wrote:

I just download and install it. However when I enter my AOPA
Username/Password it says it's not a valid name/password....

Make sure you're using your AOPA web username - not your AOPA #. I
tried that a few times until I read the instructions more carefully...

aw
Old November 1st 03, 12:18 PM
GeorgeF

wrote:

I just download and install it. However when I enter my AOPA
Username/Password it says it's not a valid name/password....

Make sure you're using your AOPA web username - not your AOPA #. I
tried that a few times until I read the instructions more carefully...

aw

already tried that....didn't work....guess I'll have to email AOPA...

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old November 2nd 03, 11:31 AM
Mike Long

It worked well and easily for me also - a nice planning tool. However,
I could not get the reverse course to work if I dragged the course
line to my intersections (for example) rather than letting it stay
direct only. It's easy enough to do another route coming home but it
seems redundant.

Mike

Old November 2nd 03, 02:29 PM
Steven Barnes

I noticed the same thing, too. I also couldn't get the weather maps to lay
onto my route. Otherwise, it's nice.

"Mike Long" wrote in message
om...
It worked well and easily for me also - a nice planning tool. However,
I could not get the reverse course to work if I dragged the course
line to my intersections (for example) rather than letting it stay
direct only. It's easy enough to do another route coming home but it
seems redundant.

Mike

"Tony Cox" wrote in message

hlink.net...