Most Visible Color for Aircraft

Old March 8th 04, 05:58 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message
news:fnF2c.1824$re1.544@newsfe1-win...
No shots fired. :-) Do you have a reference for the study?

I remember the RAF Tornados getting painted black all over some years ago
after similar studies. Presumably they get repainted before going into
action.

Most of the RAF training fleet is now black. The Tornado GR4s are
being painted black too. Tornados tended to get painted for the job
at hand. For desert camouflage during Desert Storm they were painted
in this colour:
http://www.flyingzone.co.uk/tornadoi...stormunits.htm

RAF black:
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/hawk.html
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/tucano.html
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/griffin.html
http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/ssquirrel.html

I'd hesitate to paint a GA aircraft dark on top unless it was going to

spend
most of its time in the shade.

Mine seems to survive ok out in the sun. Ok, it's based near Andover
in Hampshire rather than Arizona. I've even got a black cover for it.

My plane:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?P6D3256A7

Grey was seen to be the low visibility scheme.

Paul

Old March 8th 04, 06:14 PM
Paul Sengupta

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Cub Driver wrote:
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote
First off, it's sort of an electric robin's egg blue - not very dark,

and
secondly, very few of us are flying at 40,000'.

Very few Hurricanes did either.

That's why they used special Spitfires for the job.

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=109363
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=104095
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=145761
http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...P6159~ser=SPAV
http://www.littlefriends.co.uk/galle...=14&Group=7prg
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazin...ail_spit19.htm

A PR squadron:
http://www.rafmarham.co.uk/organisat...pruhistory.htm

Paul

Old March 9th 04, 07:18 AM
Brian Burger

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Dennis O'Connor wrote:

A study within the military showed that the most visible color for
identifying the shape of a plane against any background, is a solid, dark
blue...

Really? Against the sky, I can understand, but at a nearby airstrip that's
close to our usual practice area there's an advanced ultralight that's
dark navy blue, and that one is nearly impossible to see against the dark
conifers around that strip. It's even hard to see against the pastures &
fields nearby.

OTOH, the Canadian Air Force is also painting most of its training planes
dark blue now, so maybe there is something to it. Both the Hawks
(http://www.airliners.net/open.file/435441/M/) and the Harvard IIs
(http://www.airliners.net/open.file/435441/M/) are now dark blue. I've
seen both on the ground here, but not from the air against the ground.

Brian.

Now, don't shoot the messenger as he has a tender hide... If you don't like
the message, do your own research...
denny
"Julian Scarfe" wrote in message
wrote in message
Howdy,

I've been looking all over, and I can't seem to find any discussions on

the
relative visibility of various colors for aircraft. I would guess that

the
best color might be different when viewed against the sky or the

ground.

I think white on top (contrast vs ground clutter) and dark on the

underside
(contrast vs sky) works well, like, for example, the factory Mooney

schemes,
http://www.mooney.com/ .

Julian Scarfe

Old March 10th 04, 01:59 AM
Buff5200

Cub Driver wrote:

Right, and fire engines used to be red but now are yellow.

All the fire engines in our town went back to Red after a decade of
yellow/green.

It was found that Lighting is much more important than the color for
visibility.

And when our fire trucks were yellow/green the public thought they were
highway/garbage trucks. We went back to Red because that's the color
the public most associates with fire trucks.

Old March 10th 04, 03:59 AM
Jay Beckman

"Buff5200" wrote in message

Cub Driver wrote:

Right, and fire engines used to be red but now are yellow.

All the fire engines in our town went back to Red after a decade of
yellow/green.

It was found that Lighting is much more important than the color for
visibility.

And when our fire trucks were yellow/green the public thought they were
highway/garbage trucks. We went back to Red because that's the color
the public most associates with fire trucks.

CD,

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the upside of painting
Fire/Rescue Vehicles WHITE was supposed to be?

I don't see too many these days, but for a while it was quite prevalent
around the Phoenix metro area.

TIA,

Jay

Old March 11th 04, 03:38 AM
Morgans

"Jay Beckman" wrote

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the upside of painting
Fire/Rescue Vehicles WHITE was supposed to be?

I don't see too many these days, but for a while it was quite prevalent
around the Phoenix metro area.

TIA,

Jay

Yes, they are cooler. Ever been in a red van in Arizona?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old March 11th 04, 10:35 AM
Cub Driver

Arizona hearses are white also.

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:38:43 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Jay Beckman" wrote

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the upside of painting
Fire/Rescue Vehicles WHITE was supposed to be?

I don't see too many these days, but for a while it was quite prevalent
around the Phoenix metro area.

TIA,

Jay

Yes, they are cooler. Ever been in a red van in Arizona?

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com