An Olive Branch

Old November 3rd 04, 10:00 PM
kontiki

Well I don't know about all the way back to 1927 but in recent history
(aka Bill Clinton) the market did well with a republican congress that
could basically nix all his grand spending plans.

GW's lack of vetoing any spending bills in 4 years was frustrating to
me and I will not be alone in makeing sure he knows I expect him to do
that in the next 4. The market doesn't like big spenders.... but it
it is more distasteful of John Kerry's promises to not only spend more
but tax more.

Icebound wrote:

"kontiki" wrote in message

.... snip... The stock
market apparently agrees as well.

Well, if voters were serious about stock market returns, they might have
read this before going into the booth:

http://www.personal.anderson.ucla.ed...a/Politics.pdf

It shows that historically since 1927, the market has done about 9% better
when Democrats were in power when compared to the periods Republicans were
in power.

On a similar note about stocks and presidents, there is this:

http://www.financialadvisormagazine...._2004_was.html

Old November 3rd 04, 10:50 PM
Bob Clough

Well, based on responses so far, it appears that an honorable off-topic
gesture to reduce and soften off-topic animosity has resulted in more
off-topic discussions and one public departure to other topic destinations.
Oh well. Based on politicos' jabber today, our little group lasted about as
long as the larger politic in seeking common ground.

As long as we can keep the current topic/off-topic ratio to current volume
and tenor, this crowd is still a huge net plus for me and my flying.

No hard feelings ... at least until the Rehnquist replacement is announced

Bob Clough

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16 years),

let
me be the first to extend an olive branch to those here who may be
disappointed in the results.

What has made America strong, and allowed our democracy to thrive for over
200 years, is our ability to embrace the loyal opposition on election day.
We, as pilots, may be just as divided politically as the rest of the
country, but where we differ from the common electorate is in our shared
love of aviation.

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election disagreements,
and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this animosity

evaporate,
so that we can get back to the fun of talking about flying!

Blue skies, all!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 11:00 PM
Jay Honeck

Oh well. Based on politicos' jabber today, our little group lasted about
as
long as the larger politic in seeking common ground.

Ah, well. T'was ever thus. The same thing is going on over on the
Cherokee Chat.

According to CNN, the 1964 Goldwater vs Johnson election campaign made this
election look like some sort of a grade-school spat. Yet, somehow, the
country overcame the divisiveness and bitter enmity to grow and prosper.
(Of course, it "grew" into the 60s, which is hardly something we'd like to
repeat...)

I suspect we'll do it again -- although if you take a peek at "alt.politics"
you would think otherwise! (Man, THOSE people are CRAZY on that newsgroup!)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 3rd 04, 11:10 PM
Bob Clough

Who wants to go start a high-wing / low-wing debate at alt.politics? Any
bets on how long it takes to morph into a right-wing / left-wing diatribe?

Bob Clough

Old November 3rd 04, 11:13 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
[...]
According to CNN, the 1964 Goldwater vs Johnson election campaign made
this election look like some sort of a grade-school spat. Yet, somehow,
the country overcame the divisiveness and bitter enmity to grow and
prosper.

It would happen a lot faster if you didn't insist on posting messages that
pretend to be conciliatory, even while you continue to post your anti-Kerry
rhetoric.

An olive branch before the election would have been suitable and meaningful.
Today, it's simply disingenuous, especially when not matched in other
actions.

Old November 4th 04, 12:10 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Oh well. Based on politicos' jabber today, our little group lasted about
as
long as the larger politic in seeking common ground.

Ah, well. T'was ever thus. The same thing is going on over on the
Cherokee Chat.

According to CNN, the 1964 Goldwater vs Johnson election campaign made
this election look like some sort of a grade-school spat. Yet, somehow,
the country overcame the divisiveness and bitter enmity to grow and
prosper. (Of course, it "grew" into the 60s, which is hardly something
we'd like to repeat...)

IIRC,

The capper to that campaign season was an add by Johnson which showed a
little girl serenely picking flowers who gets imolated by a nuclear
detonation. It was/is quite jarring.

The idea being (if it isn't already obvious...) that voting for Goldwater
would bring about the end of the world.

I've seen this referred to in some circles as the dirtiest political add
ever produced.

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
PP-ASEL

(Somwhere I still have a tie pin I got from my dad which featured the
letters "Au/H2O" ...a Goldwater campaign give away.)

Old November 4th 04, 12:43 AM
Wdtabor

No hard feelings ... at least until the Rehnquist replacement is announced

Clarence Thomas will be elevated to Chief Justice and a new Associate Justice
will be appointed, probably Judge Jackson of the CA Supreme Court.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old November 4th 04, 01:06 AM
Jim Weir

It grew into the ... uhhh ... what was that?? ... um ... oh, yeah the '60
something... or other ... where was I ... drat this short term memory loss ...
anybody got any pepperoni and peanut butter ... the ... um ... '60s ... yeah,
no repeat of a repeat of a pat or something like that ... oh, wow, did you see
that one go by...

Jim (child of the '60s) Weir

"Jay Honeck"

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 4th 04, 01:10 AM
Jay Masino

Well, atleast the rest of the country's airspace can go back to normal,
after several months of roving 30nm TFRs. According to the AOPA Airspace
Alert I just got, President Moron is going back to his old habit of
taking 3 day weekends (almost every weekend) at Camp David (when he's not
in Crawford). AOPA said to expect an expanded TFR around Camp David
(NW of DC) from THURSDAY through Sunday this weekend. Most of the last
several years, since 9/11, we get one of these alerts almost every
weekend. Afterall, he needs his rest from all the reading he does.

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
Old November 4th 04, 01:17 AM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Now that it appears that George Bush has been re-elected with a true
majority of the popular vote (the first president to do so in 16
years), let me be the first to extend an olive branch to those here
who may be disappointed in the results.

"Appalled" would better describe it.

What has made America strong, and allowed our democracy to thrive for
over 200 years, is our ability to embrace the loyal opposition on
election day. We, as pilots, may be just as divided politically as the
rest of the country, but where we differ from the common electorate is
in our shared love of aviation.

This bond, in my opinion, transcends any fleeting election
disagreements, and I, for one, will be more than happy to see all this
animosity evaporate, so that we can get back to the fun of talking
about flying!

Blue skies, all!

Same to ya' Jay. But if you think this means I'm letting up on Shrub,
forget it!
--
Dan

"There ought to be limits to freedom."