Kitplanes Columns

Old April 8th 04, 06:34 PM
Jim Weir

George...

In terms that any competent history major can understand, can you tell me how
you want me to fix this type mismatch?

Jim

-There's two mismatches between the KP0207.htm file and the other files: the
parts
-list file and full test PDF are Kpparts.pdf and Kptext.pdf on the webserver,
but are
-KPparts.pdf and KPText.pdf in the URLs in the KP0207.htm file (note the case
-difference in the "P"s). So the real URLs to the full text and parts list
-
-http://www.rst-engr.com/kitplanes/KP0207/Kpparts.pdf
-http://www.rst-engr.com/kitplanes/KP0207/Kptext.pdf
-
-I imagine that the above to references will break here shortly when Jim fixes
the
-KP0207.htm file or renames the PDFs.
-
-Russell Kent

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old April 8th 04, 06:42 PM
frank

Works in Texas...

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Jim Weir wrote:

To have a looksee a George's handiwork, www.rstengineering.com/kitplanes

and go
to the bottom article (July '02).

Not Found
The requested URL /kitplanes/KP0207/KPtext.pdf was not found on this

server.

Apache/1.3.20 Server at www.rst-engr.com Port 80

Dave

Old April 8th 04, 06:59 PM
Russell Kent

Dave Butler wrote:

Jim Weir wrote:

To have a looksee a George's handiwork, www.rstengineering.com/kitplanes and go
to the bottom article (July '02).

Not Found
The requested URL /kitplanes/KP0207/KPtext.pdf was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.20 Server at www.rst-engr.com Port 80

Dave

There's two mismatches between the KP0207.htm file and the other files: the parts
list file and full test PDF are Kpparts.pdf and Kptext.pdf on the webserver, but are
KPparts.pdf and KPText.pdf in the URLs in the KP0207.htm file (note the case
difference in the "P"s). So the real URLs to the full text and parts list a

Old April 8th 04, 09:33 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

In terms that any competent history major can understand, can you tell me how
you want me to fix this type mismatch?

Well, the fastest way to fix it is to rename the two files to match the URLs.
Alternately, I can change the URLs in the html file and resend that. If you go the
first route, rename "Kpparts.pdf" to "KPparts.pdf" and rename "Kptext.pdf" to
"KPText.pdf". The difference in names also exists on my computer; the reason I didn't
catch it is that the link still works for me. It didn't show up in testing.

I'll double-check for that sort of thing with August.

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".

Old April 8th 04, 10:49 PM
FUji

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jim Weir wrote:

[...]

Easiest in the future to use all lowercase for filenames and URLs. It
avoids problems with Win/DOS being case insensitive.

Old April 9th 04, 02:32 AM
UltraJohn

Some web authouring software (Windoze based) will use upper/lower case in
the program and html files then safe the respective files in all lowercase
which works ok if your ISP uses a Windows based web server, but with a lot
of servers running Linux OS and Apache web server it will not work if you
use FTP to upload your files but probably will work if you use their
program to "publish to the web".
I have 3 web sites I maintain and I have to manually edit the HTML files
each time I update to correct the case problem.
John

Old April 9th 04, 05:33 AM
David Lesher

"G.R. Patterson III" writes:

Jim Weir wrote:

In terms that any competent history major can understand, can you tell me how
you want me to fix this type mismatch?

Well, the fastest way to fix it is to rename the two files to match the URLs.
Alternately, I can change the URLs in the html file and resend that. If you go the
first route, rename "Kpparts.pdf" to "KPparts.pdf" and rename "Kptext.pdf" to
"KPText.pdf". The difference in names also exists on my computer; the reason I didn't
catch it is that the link still works for me. It didn't show up in testing.

Please... keep all file names lower case. Also, please, please be really
pedantic on URL filesnames:

Only:
0-9, a-z, _ - .

No other characters. No !@#$:;%^&*()+|\/ {I swear I must have seen
each one in some URL sometime.}

Yea, you may get away with it for a while, until you start getting
into cross-platform situations. Then you have a mess.
--
A host is a host from coast to
Old April 9th 04, 02:04 PM
Dave Butler

Jim Weir wrote:
Renamed both the files with the KP prefix. Try to break it again, if you would
please.

Seems fine now. Dave

Old April 10th 04, 03:23 AM
G.R. Patterson III

FUji wrote:

Easiest in the future to use all lowercase for filenames and URLs. It
avoids problems with Win/DOS being case insensitive.

I am now FTPing the files up to a directory on my web site for testing. Since most
web servers are UNIX boxes, I expect that any problems in this regard will pop up
immediately.

Kitplanes PTT story JFLEISC Home Built 1 January 14th 04 03:14 AM
Kitplanes CD-ROM directory David Smith Home Built 4 January 1st 04 09:31 PM
KitPlanes - Home Page by Ron Wanttaja RobertR237 Home Built 40 August 12th 03 10:17 PM
Jim Weir's CO detector design in June Kitplanes Michael Home Built 0 August 8th 03 11:54 PM
Jim Weir's CO Detector in Kitplanes June edition. Michael Home Built 0 July 29th 03 01:32 PM