Airports/Airspace

Old March 15th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Airports/Airspace

Daley's waterfront park?

wrote in message
ups.com...

Now tell me what are you going to call a class Delta Airspace towered
airport when it closes?

Old March 15th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

However there is the Law of Primacy that states as an Instructor I
should teach the right way from the beginning

Like =all= things, this is not absolute.

Sometimes colloquialisms are very useful learning tools, inasmuch as
they convey the essential meaning (once established) without the
formalisms that interfere with processing. If we are learning airport
and airspace classification, then it is necessary to be pedantic and
verbose, to ensure correctness. However, once that is understood, when
one is teaching something else, it is better to refer to a concept by
its abbreviated form than to continue to distract the student with
irrelevant pedantry.

Also, some terms change. You need to know all variations.

Jose
Old March 15th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...

Lets get to the bottom of this.
I constantly hear people refer to Airports as being class B,C or D
Airports. Any of you who have thorough knowledge and understanding of
Airports will know that there are only two kinds of Airports in all of
our National Airspace System (NAS). There is Towered and Non-Towered
Airports. We have Class A,B,C,D,E and G Airspace. The Airspace overlays
the Airports. Now show me where in the Aeronautical Information Manual
(AIM) or an FAA Approved government publication that mentions a class
B,C,D Airport. You will not find it...

"Immediately after landing, and before beginning the critique, Linda asks
her student Brian to grade his performance for the day. Being asked to grade
himself is a new experience but he goes along with it. The flight scenario
had been a two-leg IFR scenario to a busy class B airport about 60 miles to
the east."

http://www.faa.gov/education_researc...developers.pdf

Old March 15th 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
ups.com...

So the next time your talking about a specific environment say "its a
class Delta with an operating control tower".

Now tell me what are you going to call a class Delta Airspace towered
airport when it closes?

A closed Delta Airspace towered airport is still a Delta Airspace towered
airport. Closing the airport for whatever reason during the time the tower
is open and the Class D surface area is in effect does not change the
airspace in any way.

Old March 15th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
And when I hear other instructors mention this I make sure I correct them.

I bet this makes you really popular. Do you do this in front of their
students?

As a CFI there was a great deal of time I spent covering the Fundamentals

of Instruction (FOI).

Shouldn't you have covered this BEFORE you became a CFI?

Old March 15th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

So see, an instructor who teaches that
there are class B,C or D airports is not performing to the CFI
practical test standards. Airspace is classified with the new ABC.
Airports are either towered or non-towered. Again not one official
publication will mention otherwise.

So the next time your talking about a specific environment say "its a
class Delta with an operating control tower".

But, I am not an instructor.

--
Peter
Old March 15th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jose" wrote in message
et...

Like =all= things, this is not absolute.

Tee Hee

Old March 15th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter R." wrote in message

Not at all. I can vouch for Chad. He is a new, young, and talented CFI

at
the flight school where I once trained and is very passionate about
aviation.

He is also new to newsgroups so give him a chance to become acclimated to
this medium.

His first post came off as a bit confrontational--he'll fit right in! Chad
is of course technically correct but IMO, it's just more practical to call
them "Class B" airports. I'd love to correct everyone's pronunciation of
"papa," "tree," and "fife" but that wouldn't get me invited to too many
hangar parties

So Chad, what's your point of view on saying "with you" when you're handed
off to another controller?

Marco "ducking and hiding" Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 15th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That's not an "official" FAA publication. It's an example of a guide written
by a third party. Existence on the FAA's web servers is not a testament to
it being "official."

Marco

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

Old March 15th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message

That's not an "official" FAA publication. It's an example of a guide
written
by a third party. Existence on the FAA's web servers is not a testament to
it being "official."

What makes an FAA publication "official"?

The challenge was not to find an "official" FAA publication, it was to find
an FAA "approved" publication. The word "official" does not appear anywhere
in Cjamairway's message. Publishing on the FAA web site and stamping the
first page with the FAA seal sure looks like FAA approval to me.