Cobratrailer&brakes

Old October 3rd 03, 11:41 PM
Greg Arnold

Default Cobratrailer&brakes

I think the brakes are designed so they don't work when the wheels are turning backwards. So be careful about parking the trailer when the tongue is aiming uphill.

What is the mechanism to prevent the breaks from being activated when backing up?
Old October 4th 03, 05:22 AM
Alfred Spindelberger

--

One more remark:
When you push the trailer back with open handbrake: So soon the lever
Old October 4th 03, 06:01 AM
Greg Arnold

Alfred -- thanks for the information. This is proof that RAS occasionally
is a worthwhile forum.

om...

"Udo Rumpf" wrote in message
What is the mechanism to prevent the breaks from being activated when
backing up?
--

There are two systems to engage the brake on every COBRA- trailer:
The first one is the overrunning brake. It works when you drive ahead
and the trailer comes faster than the tow car (Right hand wheel turns
clockwise, left hand wheel turns anti clockwise)
When you back up, the trailer right hand wheel will turn anti
clockwise and the left hand wheeel will turn clockwise. This causes a
little lever in the wheel- brakes to to push the brake shoes away from
the brake drum.
So, the overrunning brake will release so soon you back- up.
This automatic release during backup will not work when the friction
between the wheel and the surface is lower as the friction in the
brake drum.
This may happen on snow and ice, with a empty or very light trailer
also on wet grass.But when this friction is so low, you just can
"slide" the trailer back with the car ( over slippery surface).

The second brake system is the handbrake. It "overcasts" the
overrunning brake and will work when the trailer drives forward AND
backwards.
The trick is the little gasspring in the handbrake lever.
Open the handbrake lever on your trailer and push the trailer back by
hand.
So soon the wheels start to turn backwards (and the lever inside the
brakedrum
starts to push the brakeshoes away from the drum), the gasspring opens
the handbrake lever a little more. The way resulting from this on the
brake rod is longer than the way of the little lever in the brake
drum - the brake shoes will touch the brake drum again. And block the
wheel.

So, it is save to park the trailer uphill and downhill by using the
handbrake.
But it is strongy recommanded to use the wheel chocks as a second help
to secure your trailer.
All this will work with well adjusted wheel- brakes.
Adjusting the wheel brakes is only a 10 minutes work and needs a
screwdriver, a jack and some safety stands.And sensitive fingers of
the person that will do it.
Take the opportunity to look for the wearing of the brake shoes (
there are two little holes on the rear side of the brake drom,closed
with green plugs).
And repack the bearings if your trailer is built before 1996. All the
newer trailers have the bearings greased for lifetime.

NEVER DRIVE WITH OPEN HANDBRAKE LEVER, BLOCKED BRAKE ROD OR BOWDEN
CABLES!
THIS MAY LEAD TO OVERHEATING OF THE BRAKES, THE WHEEL BEARINGS AND THE
AXLE STUMP- A MELTED AXLE STUMP MAY LEAD TO THE LOSS OF ONE OR BOTH
WHEELS!

Old October 5th 03, 03:45 AM
Doug Weibel

Alfred - Please confirm that trailers manufactured after 1996 do not need to
have the wheel bearings repacked. I received my trailer in 2000, so I
would assume that it was built after 1996. I noticed this summer that when
trailering the center cap on the hub would be hot to the touch. Not
extremely hot, but definitely hotter than the tires, etc. On account of
this I had intended to repack the bearings this winter. Should I not be
concerned with some heating. I do typically trailer at 75 to 80 M.P.H.
(Western U.S.)

Best Regards,
Doug Weibel

Old October 5th 03, 10:45 AM
Alfred Spindelberger

"Doug Weibel" wrote in message .net...
Alfred - Please confirm that trailers manufactured after 1996 do not need to
have the wheel bearings repacked. I received my trailer in 2000, so I
would assume that it was built after 1996. I noticed this summer that when
trailering the center cap on the hub would be hot to the touch. Not
extremely hot, but definitely hotter than the tires, etc. On account of
this I had intended to repack the bearings this winter. Should I not be
concerned with some heating. I do typically trailer at 75 to 80 M.P.H.
(Western U.S.)

Best Regards,
Doug Weibel

Hello!

Like all new cars, COBRA-trailer uses compact bearings since they are
available.With this bearings, there is no repacking, greasing or
adjusting needed or possible. This bearings are sealed and greased for
lifetime.
When you open the grease cap on the axle, you will see a self securing
all- metal nut ( Without any safety pin)

On older axles there is a crown-style nut and a safety pin through the
nut and the axle stump. This bearings need to be repacked, greased and
adjusted.

Please check on your trailer:
1) Is the wheel brake well adjusted?
2) Is the brake rod and the bowden cable running free?
3) Is the wheel running free without any friction by lifted trailer?
If so,please analyze the routes you are driving.Are you passing very
often? are there many traffic lights? Driving with many excelerating
and decelerating phases heat the brake drums. And so do longer drives
over mountains, when the trailer runs up all the time.
Never adjust the brakes on the brake rod.Adjust the wheel brakes only(
On the rear side of the brake drums)

Best regards
AS

Old October 6th 03, 03:14 PM
Deputy Dog

Alfred:

Do you have any recommendations on replacement of the wheel bearings
(from the bearing manufacturer or personal experience) that don't
require repacking. I have a 2001 trailer and trailer quite a bit.
Should we replace them every 2yrs/5yrs or at some recommended
mileage??

Thanks for any information

Deputy Dog