Self launch effect on soaring growth

Old April 24th 04, 04:59 PM
Eric Greenwell

F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Come to Richland some time. I can't over exaggerate the convenience of
noticing the cu building in mid-morning and leaving work at lunch to
go play for the rest of the day.

Drove through there twice earlier this week on a road trip to deliver a
glider to Cle Elum. Monday afternoon (early) looked pretty good for April
though the high stuff was coming in pretty quickly.

It was OK even under the overcast. I flew from Richland to 5 miles east
of Cle Elum, then to Wenatchee, and finally back home across the Yakima
Firing Range, which was active, but to only 5000 feet (a rare treat, as
the bullets, A-10s, and other activities usually consume 18000 feet).
Three other motorgliders also flew.

The terrain between
Ellensburg and Yakima looked very intimidating.

And it is, though it's only 15 miles between airports or landable
fields, and so not a problem with the typical 5000-7000 agl conditions.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 24th 04, 06:15 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
F.L. Whiteley wrote:
Come to Richland some time. I can't over exaggerate the convenience of
noticing the cu building in mid-morning and leaving work at lunch to
go play for the rest of the day.

Drove through there twice earlier this week on a road trip to deliver a
glider to Cle Elum. Monday afternoon (early) looked pretty good for

April
though the high stuff was coming in pretty quickly.

It was OK even under the overcast. I flew from Richland to 5 miles east
of Cle Elum, then to Wenatchee, and finally back home across the Yakima
Firing Range, which was active, but to only 5000 feet (a rare treat, as
the bullets, A-10s, and other activities usually consume 18000 feet).
Three other motorgliders also flew.

I wondered a bit about the Yakima range area, so it's a live fire area.

Also figured if it was a good as it looked you guys might be up there. Left
my handheld at home though;^) Sounds like a pretty good romp.

Frank

Old April 27th 04, 03:53 AM
Tom Seim

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message ...
"Tom Seim" wrote in message
om...

Although I'm a purist, I agree with Eric that the effect overall is
beneficial for soaring. However, if you buy used first and second
generation equipment, you will likely spend an equal or greater time
maintaining your equipment to a high standard than actually soaring.

Only if you fly less than 10 hours a year.

The required engine/propeller maintenance (change the plugs &
re-torque the prop bolts) on my DG-400 can be done in 1 hour.
Additional time depends upon what breaks. As the engine is only run
10-15 hours a year things don't have a tendency to wear out much.

PIK-20E is notoriously time consuming. Our local DG-400 is showing a
similar tendency regardless of the requirements. Has something to do with
the prior owners, but the problems have included electrical and fuel and
steerable tail wheel over the years. Doesn't seem to fly as often as I'd
expect, though the current owner is very enthused, though rather perturbed.

Make no mistake, foregoing necessary maintenance will catch up to you
in the end. Some problems go on for years because the owners are
inexperienced and/or ignorant. Some aspects of maintenance are
peculiar to motorgliders (the extension mechanism, for instance). As
an example, I was experiencing numerous retraction problems that
required that I use the emergency override (it's helpfull to have 3
hands in this situation). Everything ALWAYS worked fine on the ground.
I eventually solved the problem by adjusting the prop position sensor
(it seems that subjected to the forces of airflow the gap increased
slightly). There is a DG users group that discusses these maintenance
issues.

It's about a 50/50 split between self-launching pilots I've met that can
soar effectively and have no clue.

Come to Richland some time. I can't over exaggerate the convenience of
noticing the cu building in mid-morning and leaving work at lunch to
go play for the rest of the day.

Drove through there twice earlier this week on a road trip to deliver a
glider to Cle Elum. Monday afternoon (early) looked pretty good for April
though the high stuff was coming in pretty quickly. The terrain between
Ellensburg and Yakima looked very intimidating.

We flew off our winch yesterday. Of the 20 or so launches, more than half
hooked soaring flights (We weren't pushing back to the fence, so 1600agl was
typical launch height). Nice cu to 11,500 despite all the media howling
about the snow storm (tracked further south than expected, 3ft in places).
$8/launch.

I'll have to come up and get my "aerotow only" restriction lifted on
my license (see my other comments on how to reduce the cost of a
glider license).

Tom

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
Grow soaring thru entertainment John Soaring 33 April 30th 04 05:01 PM
Ground launch and the incremental vanishing of soaring Mark James Boyd Soaring 24 March 8th 04 11:50 PM
January/February 2004 issue of Southern California Soaring is on-line [email protected] Soaring 8 January 4th 04 10:37 PM
Mid-Air at Turf Soaring Herbert Kilian Soaring 7 January 2nd 04 12:26 PM