Thermal mapping

Old April 25th 04, 11:32 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:00:04 -0700, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

I know! A trained flock of small soaring birds that you release when
desperate. They spread out over the area, circling when they find lift.
Once you start climbing, they return to the glider and crawl back
inside, ready for the next time you need their assistance.

A month or so ago there was a nice piece on BBC Radio 4 about a hang
glider pilot who had a hen harrier that was trained to fly with him
and even to sit on a perch on his glider. He said that when lift was
strong he'd launch and gain height before letting his raptor fly with
him, but in weak, dodgy conditions the bird was flown first. He'd
launch and join her once she'd found a thermal.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old April 26th 04, 04:08 AM
Eric Greenwell

wrote:

I know! A trained flock of small soaring birds that you release when
desperate. They spread out over the area, circling when they find lift.
Once you start climbing, they return to the glider and crawl back
inside, ready for the next time you need their assistance.

A month or so ago there was a nice piece on BBC Radio 4 about a hang
glider pilot who had a hen harrier that was trained to fly with him
and even to sit on a perch on his glider. He said that when lift was
strong he'd launch and gain height before letting his raptor fly with
him, but in weak, dodgy conditions the bird was flown first. He'd
launch and join her once she'd found a thermal.

That sounds better than the flock of small birds: one smart bird would
be easier to handle. Of course, you'd want one with sufficient top speed
to catch the glider and crawl back inside. Maybe a motorglider with the
motor removed, so there would be hatch on the fuselage for the bird to
travel in.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 26th 04, 05:30 AM
ADP

In the spring and summer around lake Tahoe, there are flocks of American
White Pelicans that soar in groups of 4 to 6 or more.
They are particularly visible around Truckee, CA. I have joined them in
their soaring endeavors and managed to stay with them
for a while. I only wish that I could turn as well as they were able to.
We are talking here of soaring flocks of pelicans at and above 7000 ft.
Don't know why they do it but perhaps just for fun. They may be Jonathan
Livingston Seagull's distant relatives!
Looking for pelicans may be a new thermal indicator.

Allan

Old April 26th 04, 07:55 AM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Martin Gregorie
writes
wrote:

I know! A trained flock of small soaring birds that you release when
desperate. They spread out over the area, circling when they find lift.
Once you start climbing, they return to the glider and crawl back
inside, ready for the next time you need their assistance.

A month or so ago there was a nice piece on BBC Radio 4 about a hang
glider pilot who had a hen harrier that was trained to fly with him
and even to sit on a perch on his glider. He said that when lift was
strong he'd launch and gain height before letting his raptor fly with
him, but in weak, dodgy conditions the bird was flown first. He'd
launch and join her once she'd found a thermal.

In the biography of Hanna Reich there was a story that the
German team who took some gliders to S America in 1937 used to join the
local vultures in thermals.
They decided it would be a good idea to take some home to
Germany so they could leach on to them there. But when the ship got to
Bremen, the vultures had got so fat and heavy they couldn't get
airborne.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old April 26th 04, 04:25 PM
Michael

Has anyone any leads to accessible output on the
results of LIDAR?

Rory

I thought the Northern soaring season had started already...

Hi Folks,

As one instructor down under in OZ explained cristal clear,
when the sun is shining, we would have 400 degrees (F or C)
on the ground if there wouldn't be any efficient convection.

Hence, whenever you feel a comfortable temperature outdoors
on a sunny day, there are plenty of thermals out there carrying
the heat away. Just fly straight on your course and you will
hit them.....

Cheers
Michael
Old April 27th 04, 04:29 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"ADP" wrote in message
In the spring and summer around lake Tahoe, there are flocks of American
White Pelicans that soar in groups of 4 to 6 or more.
They are particularly visible around Truckee, CA. I have joined them in
their soaring endeavors and managed to stay with them
for a while. I only wish that I could turn as well as they were able to.
We are talking here of soaring flocks of pelicans at and above 7000 ft.
Don't know why they do it but perhaps just for fun. They may be Jonathan
Livingston Seagull's distant relatives!
Looking for pelicans may be a new thermal indicator.

Allan

We also have these in Colorado and Wyoming. They are very large and visible
at a substantial distance.

Hawks are a bit more prevalent though.

Frank Whiteley