Hands off thermalling

Old April 22nd 04, 03:34 PM
John Jones

Default Hands off thermalling

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:29 PM
JC

John Jones wrote:

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

I have done it in the Schleicher K-6e that I used to own.
I was near the top of a pretty good thermal, fairly big. I was banked
about 15 degrees. I set the elevator trim, took my hands off the
stick and refolded my chart. I was pleasantly surprised when I
continued to climb.

There are other planes I would not ever take my hand off the stick for
a second.

Old April 22nd 04, 04:33 PM
Nick Hill

John Jones wrote:

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

People I know who have flown a Skylark 4 state that it will happily
climb in a thermal hands off while you fold you map, eat sandwiches etc

Nick Hill
Old April 22nd 04, 05:40 PM
Shawn Curry

John Jones wrote:
How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

Grob Astir CS works pretty well. Passed the urination-while-thermalling
test. So does my Mosquito.
Don't try it in a Ventus =o
As for getting out of a cloud that's a benign spiral. Lots to be found
by Googling this group, but ask your instructor for a demo too.

Shawn
Old April 22nd 04, 05:51 PM
Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry wrote:
John Jones wrote:

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

Grob Astir CS works pretty well. Passed the urination-while-thermalling
test. So does my Mosquito.
Don't try it in a Ventus =o
As for getting out of a cloud that's a benign spiral. Lots to be found
by Googling this group, but ask your instructor for a demo too.

Oops TIA. S/he did demo it.

Shawn
Old April 22nd 04, 07:16 PM
Andy Durbin

John Jones wrote in message ...
How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

My ASW 19b and ASW 28 will thermal hands off for several turns. Only
works for smooth thermals not the more typical rowdy tight cores of a
strong Arizona day.

The full airbrake, hands and feet off controls, descent is known as
the benign spiral. Does not work in all gliders so try it before you
use it in a real descent emergency.

Andy
Old April 22nd 04, 08:07 PM
Doug Taylor

During Gary Osoba's first flight in the SparrowHawk, he flew for 10
minutes hands off, including entering and centering two thermals.

Also in the SparrowHawk, I find it easiest to use the pee-bag while in
a thermal, as long as it is a nice big smooth one.

Old April 22nd 04, 08:10 PM
Claudia Buengen

The DG-100 - just park it in a thermal and go up!

Seriously, I tried it once in fairly calm conditions, trimmed it, let go
of the stick, and I managed to gain about a hundred feet before it
started oscillating.

Claudia

Old April 22nd 04, 09:11 PM
Jim Vincent

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

You're talking about two totally different things here. One is thermalling,
the other is the benign spiral mode (what your instuctor did with you....good
instructor!).

The way I teach the benign spiral is trim for 60 kts and don't touch the stick.
The plane will speed up and slow down and turn, but should always stay within
limits. As you said, it is useful if caught in cloud. Spoilers deployed is a
new one to me.

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 22nd 04, 09:44 PM
Bruce Greeff

John Jones wrote:

How many gliders can be trimmed for hands off thermalling?

An instructor showed me, with spoilers open and proper
trim, the glider will stabilize in a slow descending
turn. Claimed it was good for getting out of a cloud.

Neat, but would not want to thermal with the spoilers
open.

Depends what you are flying, don't try this with a std. Cirrus. The speed
excursions are quite extreme.