IS28B2 Lark shock strut parts

Old February 11th 04, 05:06 AM
Dale Walker

Default IS28B2 Lark shock strut parts

We're looking for a seal kit to rebuild the shock strut on our 2 place lark
if anyone knows where parts can be found. I understand the Blanik also has
the same strut.

Dale

Old February 11th 04, 06:23 AM
Stewart Kissel

That is correct, contact Vitek. Make sure the guy
doing the rebuild knows what he is doing and has access
to high-pressure nitrogen.

Old February 11th 04, 09:44 AM
Janos Bauer

Is there any final solution for this strut problem? We replaced/rebuilt
it twice a year when the "big metal" was used...

/Janos

Old February 11th 04, 02:22 PM
Bill Daniels

"Dale Walker" wrote in message
We're looking for a seal kit to rebuild the shock strut on our 2 place

lark
if anyone knows where parts can be found. I understand the Blanik also has
the same strut.

Dale

There's nothing exotic about O-rings. They are commonly available in metric
sizes everywhere. Consulting with the local supplier may result in a
recommendation for a better rubber compound than the original.

A nice solution is to try to get another strut from a crashed Lark and
rebuild it first. Then swap it for the one in the glider to minimize
downtime. Get a generic shop manual for re-building hydraulic cylinders -
the techniques are the same. Re-build the old strut in your spare time so
it's ready for the next time you need one. The toughest part is going to be
getting the strut out of the glider.

One more thing. I am convinced that the struts are damaged if allowed to go
flat. Topping off the strut with nitrogen on a monthly basis seems to make
them last much longer.

Bill Daniels

Old February 18th 04, 12:45 AM
John Orton

The seals are not O-rings and can be purchased from the Blanik people. The
seals are complex chevron type of arrangement.
I have been told that originally the strut was designed for a MIG tail
wheel.

I am in Australia and currently have 2 of these struts apart in my workshop.
I am in posession of an Australian Engineering Order to modify these seals
to take standard O-rings. As a matter of fact I just picked up this morning
a piece of bronze needing to be machined as a seal carrier.