GNS 530... Any experts?

Old August 29th 06, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default GNS 530... Any experts?

Hi,

I work for a company that will have a fleet with 430/530 stacks
integrated, and we will be flying some very specialized missions with
them.

I have some specific questions regarding datacards, route planning, nav
points and data sharing. If you can help me, please reply to this and
I'll either post the questions or email directly.

Thank you!

Craig

Old August 29th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

wrote:

I have some specific questions regarding datacards, route planning, nav
points and data sharing. If you can help me, please reply to this and
I'll either post the questions or email directly.

I have been flying with a GNS430 for the last three years and feel I have
become comfortable with just about all features of the unit. Additionally,
I burn my own data cards every month. Post away...

--
Peter
Old August 29th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
CaptainCraig

Okay... You asked for it!

We are currently fitting four Westwind 1124 with a GNS430/530 stack for
some very specialized missions.

I have several questions I hope you can answer - I have emailed
Garmin's technical support team on this matter as well.

1. We would like to create a database of our own waypoints that will
remain in the memory. We are less experienced 530 users, and are under
the impression that updating the data card leads to memory expulsion.

2. What is the usage of the second data card on the 530? Can that be
used as a storage facility for our routes and waypoints that will
remain unmolested?

3. Are there any programs available for EXTERNAL (via Windows)
waypoint creation and route designation? We need a simpler system than
just spinning the dials.

4. If there is such a program, can the waypoints/tracks/routes then be
shared with other users? All four of our aircraft will have different
missions to fly in different areas of the country, and should several
of our aircraft need to converge for simultaneous operations we would
like to be able to send/receive the latest waypoint and route
information from the crew that resides in the target area.

5. To avoid having to also carry a Garmin GPS90 on board to download
track data to Windows post-mission, can you recommend a program that
will do the same for our 430/530? Analyzing our track data is a very
important part of our debrief with the Forces, and we would like to
eliminate the redundancy of carrying a THIRD gps unit.

Thank you very much for your help,

Craig

Old August 29th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

CaptainCraig wrote:

1. We would like to create a database of our own waypoints that will
remain in the memory. We are less experienced 530 users, and are under
the impression that updating the data card leads to memory expulsion.

User waypoints will remain in the GPS's non-volatile memory across data
card updates.

However, whenever the unit is sent to Garmin for repair or for software
update or is reset to factory defaults you will lose the user waypoints
that are stored in the unit.

2. What is the usage of the second data card on the 530? Can that be
used as a storage facility for our routes and waypoints that will
remain unmolested?

I do not know, although the GNS430 too has a slot for an extra card. If I
had to speculate, that second card slot is for some type of expanded
functionality such as terrain database, etc., that has yet to be
utilized/certified?

3. Are there any programs available for EXTERNAL (via Windows)
waypoint creation and route designation? We need a simpler system than
just spinning the dials.

No, there are not and this is by design. My understanding is that the FAA
specifically prohibited external flight plan and waypoint creation for the
certification under which this IFR GPS is covered. IIRC, the FAA wanted to
ensure that the user was given an updated GPS database-based confirmation
of every waypoint entered into the flight plan, which is only possible by
entering waypoints directly into the unit.

The spin dial was probably the most cost effective and practical design for
in-bumpy air data entry. As a point of interest I do recall reading that
the Garmin G1000 glass cockpit/GPS system is now being installed in some
aircraft with a keyboard entry system. Columbia Aircraft's G1000 install
comes to mind:

http://tinyurl.com/rdcxn

4. If there is such a program, can the waypoints/tracks/routes then be
shared with other users?

snip

See above.

5. To avoid having to also carry a Garmin GPS90 on board to download
track data to Windows post-mission, can you recommend a program that
will do the same for our 430/530? Analyzing our track data is a very
important part of our debrief with the Forces, and we would like to
eliminate the redundancy of carrying a THIRD gps unit.

Having never had a need, I am uncertain as to whether the GNSx30 is capable
of providing data that can be downloaded and stored on an external device.
However I suspect it is possible (at least in real time, rather than
post-flight) via an output cable feeding GPS data to a laptop or handheld
computer. Garmin will hopefully provide you with a more definitive answer.

--
Peter
Old August 30th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_1_]

The extra slot in the 530 is for the terrain data base. I have had a 530/430
with GDL69, terrain, and stormscope for several years. It is a very self
intuitive box to operate. There is serial (RS232 and 429 I think) output
from the unit, so it might be possible to link this to a note book computer
to log flights and data points.

Old August 30th 06, 10:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

If I
had to speculate, that second card slot is for some type of expanded
functionality such as terrain database, etc., that has yet to be
utilized/certified?

It is used for the terrain database available as we speak. Has been for
some time.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 30th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Thomas Borchert wrote:

It is used for the terrain database available as we speak. Has been for
some time.

Cool. Thanks, Tom.

--
Peter