Why not use the F-22 to replace the F/A-18 and F-14?

Old February 22nd 04, 03:18 PM
Pechs1

Andrew- We already have a replacement for the F-14 in service - the
F/A-18E/F.
The switch-over is well underway already. BRBR

Saw lots of patches in the early 70s..'When you are out of F-8s, you are out of
fighters', but the other one applies to the Turkey,' When you are out of
F-8s(F-14s) it's no big thing'.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
Pechs1

steele- Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then? BRBR

F35 better, cheaper, sooner and designed for shipboard use. Why not scrape the
F-22, and replace it with F35? These things are 'expensive', to say the least.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old February 22nd 04, 11:53 PM
Jake Donovan

Pete,

You are even closer than you think. 1- Whomever said the F35 is almost the
same as a F22, I have this reply, gee, that Honda 250 Dirt Bike looks just
like my sons Mongoose BMX bike.

2- The F22 is officially headed to the reserves and ANG as soon as the F35
comes on line. Kind of turns on the lights as to the operating parameters
of the 22 vs the 35.

Having flown both, they are not even close to being the same aircraft. The
35 is already light years ahead of the 22. My X/F35 experience was one of
my most memorable test programs I have been involved in. Stepping out of
the Sims and into the aircraft, you found you could push the 35 well past
what the Sims prepared you for. That was a first in my career.

Although the Raptor is a very capable aircraft, If I had the choice and had
a 35 on the line, I wouldn't leave home with out it. It looks like they got
it right the first time out and the F35 will be with us for some time to
come.

Jake

"Pechs1" wrote in message
steele- Should we be thinking of using the FB-22 Raptor as a replacement
for the F/A-18 (and the F-14)? I know that the current F-22 was
not designed to be heavy enough for naval use, but it could be
re-engineered. They are planning to bring the FB-22 (bomber
version that carries 30 2000 lbs bombs) online in the future.
Why not upgrade it then? BRBR

F35 better, cheaper, sooner and designed for shipboard use. Why not scrape

the
F-22, and replace it with F35? These things are 'expensive', to say the

least.

P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer

Old February 23rd 04, 12:05 AM
Thomas Schoene

Jake Donovan wrote:

2- The F22 is officially headed to the reserves and ANG as soon as
the F35 comes on line. Kind of turns on the lights as to the
operating parameters of the 22 vs the 35.

I'd like to see the basis for that. But in any case, rememeber that the
Guard and Reserves no longer fly second-rate aircraft handed down from the
active force. They fly the same aircraft types for the most part, and have
the same basic missions. I'd be very surprised indeed if the F-22 is
scheduled to be withdrawn from the active force at that time.
"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 23rd 04, 01:05 AM
Jake Donovan

Tom,

I really cant go much further than what I said, but look at the B1B.

I can paraphrase Aviation Week - The procurement #s of Raptors have been
lowered drastically not because of budget constraints, but the F35 will be
replacing them as soon as they are available.

I do agree with you on the AF ANG and Reserves flying very new and up to
date platforms unlike the days of old.

Jake

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

Old February 23rd 04, 01:45 AM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 19:05:43 -0600, "Jake Donovan"
wrote:

lowered drastically not because of budget constraints, but the F35 will be
replacing them as soon as they are available.

You're making claims contrary to the program of record and all
published information, but providing no evidence to support said
claims.

Thus, you're not credible.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old February 23rd 04, 04:36 AM
Thomas Schoene

Jake Donovan wrote:
Tom,

I really cant go much further than what I said, but look at the B1B.

I guess I'm not following you here. The B-1s were split between active and
Guard units, but last I'd heard they were shutting down the ANG squadrons
and moving everything back to the AC.

I can paraphrase Aviation Week - The procurement #s of Raptors have
been lowered drastically not because of budget constraints, but the
F35 will be replacing them as soon as they are available.

Can you point to an issue for this? I get AvLeak, but I think I missed this
item.

Old February 25th 04, 11:53 AM
Frijoles

Jake also wrote:

"Having flown both, they are not even close to being the same aircraft. The
35 is already light years ahead of the 22. My X/F35 experience was one of
my most memorable test programs I have been involved in."

Tell us what programs you've been involved in "Jake"... and what, pray tell,
made F35 so memorable. I assume you know Turbo?

newslc_b.12812$iB.12075@lakeread06...

Old February 23rd 04, 06:10 PM
Tony Volk

Having flown both, they are not even close to being the same aircraft. The
35 is already light years ahead of the 22. My X/F35 experience was one of
my most memorable test programs I have been involved in. Stepping out of
the Sims and into the aircraft, you found you could push the 35 well past
what the Sims prepared you for. That was a first in my career.

You've flown both?!? (how many folks can say that!) I'd be curious to
hear more about that if possible. What position did/do you hold (civil or
military)? Any (non-classified) details/experiences you can share with us
about flying either jet? Thanks,

Tony

Old February 23rd 04, 11:03 PM
Frijoles

Lights years ahead in terms of...what? Predicted vs actual performance?
Avionics? ...Give us a better picture of the context of the comment.

What test programs have you been involved in?