I hate winter

Old January 5th 04, 06:13 AM
Jeff

Default I hate winter

I am ready for winter to be over.
the strong winds aloft are a killer when your ready to get back home.

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My worst GS was when I
climed to 10.5 to go over a mountain near kingman Az, I thought I was
sucking with my 130 kt GS at 8500 ft, at 10.5 I was getting a
blistering 117 kts!!!!!

Old January 5th 04, 06:36 AM
BTIZ

Jeff.. the winter winds yesterday kept the glider club on the ground... but
on New Years Day we were wave soaring off the Spring Mountain Range..

see those stacked lennies off Mt Charleston?

such is winter... I just don't like the cold..

BT

Old January 5th 04, 07:29 AM
EDR

Oh, stop complaining!
When I flew down to Sun N Fun last year I had 75 mph indicated with 54
mph groundspeed.
At least the cars weren't passing you!
Old January 5th 04, 07:44 AM
J. Severyn

"EDR" wrote in message

Oh, stop complaining!
When I flew down to Sun N Fun last year I had 75 mph indicated with 54
mph groundspeed.
At least the cars weren't passing you!

42knots ground speed today at 13000 in level flight over KTVL in my C152
(100 KTAS). It was very smooth, but my son and I did not wait around long
to find the bumps. We just flew up to enjoy the view and the ride. Winter
over Tahoe is beautiful but yes, I too like the warmer months.

John Severyn
C152 N24495

Old January 5th 04, 09:00 AM
Jeff

lol.ya I guess that is pretty bad.
But I had 155 TAS and was only getting 117 kts.

Old January 5th 04, 09:02 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 21:13:25 -0800, Jeff wrote:

I am ready for winter to be over.

Over?

It hasn't even started yet, except by the calendar. The two coldest
months and three heaviest snow producers are still ahead of us up
here.

the strong winds aloft are a killer when your ready to get back home.

This morning I flew my wifes brother and his wife back to Casa Grande
Az. from Las Vegas, getting down there was pretty quick, hour and 45
minutes, getting back was 2 hours and 15 minutes. My worst GS was when I
climed to 10.5 to go over a mountain near kingman Az, I thought I was
sucking with my 130 kt GS at 8500 ft, at 10.5 I was getting a
blistering 117 kts!!!!!

Wait till you catch a 100 knot plus wind. :-))
We took off out of Marysvill KS a few years back with winds 30 G 50
right down the runway. At 500 feet we had well over 100 knots of tail
wind headed east. We sure did make good time getting out of there.
That wind stayed with us for about a 150 miles. We still had a 40
know tail wind once out in the clear and up at 7500 feet .

I think it's time to plug in the old Tanis heater. Forecast is for
highs in the single digits to low teens for most of the week. Lows?
:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 5th 04, 09:02 AM
Jeff

as soon as the weather gets better up there I want to go up to Tahoe, we keep
trying to go but cant find a hotel in the area that will let us tak eour dogs.

Old January 5th 04, 09:07 AM
Jeff

the crappy weather kept me home yesterday also, I was suppose to take my wifes
brother home saturday, I tried, but it was just plain crappy weather. FSS
reported unstable air the entire route, 4500 ft ceilings at casa grande, winds
gusting to 31 mph, ice at all altitudes.

I have never seen gliders flying, but then again I dont hang around by the
mountains, I dont like the air bouncing off them.

Old January 5th 04, 10:29 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jeff" wrote in message
lol.ya I guess that is pretty bad.
But I had 155 TAS and was only getting 117 kts.

Yeah...but what were you getting on the outbound leg?

You're kind of a "glass is half empty" sort! :~)

Old January 5th 04, 10:32 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jeff" wrote in message
the crappy weather kept me home yesterday also, I was suppose to take my

wifes
brother home saturday, I tried, but it was just plain crappy weather. FSS
reported unstable air the entire route, 4500 ft ceilings at casa grande,

winds
gusting to 31 mph, ice at all altitudes.

Yup...it was really crappy here in Gilbert the past couple days. You should
have gone out today; CAVU and smooth as silk.

Tom

Tie-down winter hazards [email protected] Owning 6 January 12th 05 11:23 PM
Winter flying ops Viperdoc Owning 4 December 24th 04 02:29 AM
Jews Hate Palestinians Paminifarm Naval Aviation 40 June 11th 04 04:01 PM
Winter Flying, all over again Jay Honeck Piloting 19 December 16th 03 04:42 AM
i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - i HATE bush - Cub Driver Military Aviation 0 October 29th 03 12:21 PM