RV-9 vs Jabiru for Aussie builder (newbie)

Old May 27th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonny[_2_]

Default RV-9 vs Jabiru for Aussie builder (newbie)

Hi Lads,

I'd like to build my own aircraft while I learn to fly. A friend has
recently bought a secondhand Jabiru 160 (is getting a new 230c) and
has 150 hours up on a Recreational licence.

Although I would love to build a Falco or even one of these
(www.spitfireaircraftco.com), I think the choice is going to be more
about ease of flying, reliability, ease of construction (quality of
support), and value.

Unlike my friend (older, wealthy businessman) I don't have a big chunk
of change to get a whole kit up front. So the Vans presents a better
path for me to buy parts of the kit as I can afford it (tail here,
wing there etc). It would be cheaper to buy the Jabiru kit in
comparason to a whole Vans kit, but since I can't do it in one go it
is a problem.

Another path for savings is to use a Jabiru engine in an RV-9 (they
have a kit for it) instead of the Lycoming. Apart from buying a local
product, the Jabiru is a LOT cheaper and eventhough not as powerful
(as the biggest Lycoming suitable for a RV-9) it will probably meet my
needs. Opinions?

Any other suggestions or ideas? (other aircraft?)
A Fisher Tiger Moth R80 or RS80 might be fun, but open cockpit might
put off the passengers!

Aircraft type:
I would need a beginner friendly aircraft capable of being used as a
Recreational aircraft in Australia. I can work in any material (wood,
composite or aluminium) but prefer a proven and well backed up design
(for eg the CAD work on the Vans meaning holes line up etc).
Powerplant should be proven in aircraft usage and widespread (I don't
want to get involved in frigging about with car engines etc eventhough
it has been successfully done).

Thanks for your assistance.

Jonny (long time lurker, first time poster)

Old May 27th 07, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jonny" wrote

Hi Lads,

I'd like to build my own aircraft while I learn to fly. A friend has
recently bought a secondhand Jabiru 160 (is getting a new 230c) and
has 150 hours up on a Recreational licence.

Although I would love to build a Falco or even one of these
(www.spitfireaircraftco.com),

WoW !!! Amazing!
--
Jim in NC

Old May 27th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonny[_2_]

On May 27, 8:19 pm, "Morgans" wrote:

(www.spitfireaircraftco.com),

WoW !!! Amazing!
--
Jim in NC

The builder, Russ, is a great guy too. I hope he has success getting
that baby safely off the ground. It certainly looks the part and the
full size V12 power gives it a lot more street-cred (if such a phrase
can apply to an aircraft!) than any other replica (well, maybe the mad
German guys building all metal Fw190s from scratch might complain...).

Old May 27th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Jonny" wrote in message

The builder, Russ, is a great guy too. I hope he has success getting
that baby safely off the ground. It certainly looks the part and the
full size V12 power gives it a lot more street-cred (if such a phrase
can apply to an aircraft!) than any other replica (well, maybe the mad
German guys building all metal Fw190s from scratch might complain...).

Or the guys building the ME 262's. g

I was in awe, in the scope of the project, and perhaps most of all by the
workmanship visible in the pictures. It looked immaculate!

Even if I never had the skill to drive one of those, if I had the money, I
would build one, just to build it. I think it would be a blast!

What a project. Everyone NEEDS to take a look at it, if they did not look
at the link when it first came up. It is really something!

http://www.spitfireaircraftco.com/
--
Jim in NC

Old May 28th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ric[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

"Jonny" wrote in message

The builder, Russ, is a great guy too. I hope he has success getting
that baby safely off the ground. It certainly looks the part and the
full size V12 power gives it a lot more street-cred (if such a phrase
can apply to an aircraft!) than any other replica (well, maybe the mad
German guys building all metal Fw190s from scratch might complain...).

Or the guys building the ME 262's. g

I was in awe, in the scope of the project, and perhaps most of all by the
workmanship visible in the pictures. It looked immaculate!

Even if I never had the skill to drive one of those, if I had the money, I
would build one, just to build it. I think it would be a blast!

What a project. Everyone NEEDS to take a look at it, if they did not look
at the link when it first came up. It is really something!

http://www.spitfireaircraftco.com/

But before you get too excited, check out the Pricing
link....$332,000.....ouch!

Old May 28th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonny[_2_]

On May 28, 9:44 am, "Ric" wrote:
http://www.spitfireaircraftco.com/

But before you get too excited, check out the Pricing
link....$332,000.....ouch!

You could always plans build it!

And don't forget, you have to get an Allison V12 as well. Anyone got
an idea what that would cost?

Old May 28th 07, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

But before you get too excited, check out the Pricing
link....$332,000.....ouch!

Yep, I saw that. That is _exacttttly_ why I said, "if I could afford it."

You could always plans build it!

And don't forget, you have to get an Allison V12 as well. Anyone got
an idea what that would cost?

Also, don't forget to pick up the prop and workings suitable for getting all
of that power to the air.

_That_ would be another VERY pretty penny, also ! ! !
--
Jim in NC

Old May 28th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jonny[_2_]

On May 28, 11:36 am, "Morgans" wrote:

_That_ would be another VERY pretty penny, also ! ! !

I'm guessing but I imagine you could spend just as much on the engine
and prop as you did on the airframe.

Jabiru chuck Home Built 9 January 22nd 07 05:40 PM
Skybolt Builder John Burnett Home Built 1 May 31st 06 02:16 PM
Rotax vs. Jabiru Cal Vanize Home Built 30 January 23rd 06 09:15 PM
panel builder Neal Fulco Home Built 6 September 13th 04 04:25 PM
Air Compressor for RV Builder John Bundy Home Built 5 March 27th 04 02:47 PM